Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:10 PM

17 posts, read 16,211 times

Advertisements

How has that played out in NYC's high risk areas? Has flood insurance in fact gone up, or is it slated to go up, 10x over the next x number of years? Are NYC homeowners in these areas looking at $10K a year in flood insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 01:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampart1945 View Post
How has that played out in NYC's high risk areas? Has flood insurance in fact gone up, or is it slated to go up, 10x over the next x number of years? Are NYC homeowners in these areas looking at $10K a year in flood insurance?
Unless you were substantially damaged in sandy and forced to raise and you did not folks are not paying anywhere near 10K

Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Unless you were substantially damaged in sandy and forced to raise and you did not folks are not paying anywhere near 10K
No, do that believe that is correct.

With FEMA's new maps if you are in certain flood zones you *will* be looking at drastically higher premiums regardless if your home was damaged by SSS or not.

Next Threat to Affordable Housing in New York City: Flood Insurance | Observer

Old 11-03-2015, 05:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
We are not in a flood zone and the rates were jacked up.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
We are not in a flood zone and the rates were jacked up.
People are rebuilding/staying "south of Hylan" for various reasons but the main one for most is their homes are basically unsellable. Anyone with half a brain knows the risks and costs and either won't buy or isn't willing to pay the kind of money many persons want/need. Those who still have mortgages really have no choice. If they cannot sell at a price to cover that note the money must come from somewhere else.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
My friend got the buy-out after 2 years. I don't know about her neighbors. She was in the bowl, next to Seaview Psych. Much of that area remains abandoned. I'm on the North Shore in zone 4 and they raised the insurance on this house. Everyone is going to pay for it.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
My friend got the buy-out after 2 years. I don't know about her neighbors. She was in the bowl, next to Seaview Psych. Much of that area remains abandoned. I'm on the North Shore in zone 4 and they raised the insurance on this house. Everyone is going to pay for it.
Most of the talk/focus has been on the South Shore but yes, people either forget or do not know the North floods as well. Have family friends in several NS neighborhoods who live not far from Richmond Terrace and they said SSS brought the KvK well inland in some areas. I still do not understand why they are going ahead with that "Wheel" thing considering the risks.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, do that believe that is correct.

With FEMA's new maps if you are in certain flood zones you *will* be looking at drastically higher premiums regardless if your home was damaged by SSS or not.

Next Threat to Affordable Housing in New York City: Flood Insurance | Observer
I got five feet of water in my house in Sandy. I am pre-FIRM, grandfathered and pay $512 a year flood insurance.

Trouble is my subsidized rate is for one or less claims and I cant be more than 50% damaged or improved. Lots of older homes in flood zones lost subsidized rates in Sandy if they filed a claim in Irene and Sandy or damage greater than 50%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: