Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:11 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times

Advertisements

Seriously this is not a good area. It is near or right outside of a good area but right there on 126th and 5th it is not good. I was there with a real estate agent to look at a brownstone, in one split second she was robbed of her keys to the home she was showing and some other personal items. She said quite a few things happened to her showing properties there. It was broad daylight noon time. She was about 50 and she was black.

You can survive but you have to be very careful, criminals around that area will watch you not because you are white or 50 necessarily but they watch anyone and go for any opportunity they can. The area is rough but it is coming up fast.

BTW anything east of the 8th Ave/Frederick Douglas blvd is not Morningside Heights. Also anything north of 125th is not Morningside Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah BTW Morningside Heights is pretty nice. If you can afford it, why not look into Morningside Heights instead of East Harlem?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM

172 posts, read 476,068 times
Well, she's got the attitude to handle it up there, at least!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
Das, thanks for the info. Very helpful. Does not sound like a good idea anymore. Thank you again.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 AM
DAS

You're welcome. I don't know how much you would like to spend for rent or how much space you are looking for. You should look on the west side. If you walk around from 110th and Lenox and all the way up the hill to Bway and hit all the in-between blocks. Check the blocks between 8th and Manhattan Aves up to 125th and the blocks 110th from Morningside Ave to Bway. As Mead stated this is Morningside heights. Go in and ask in the newer apt buildings a lot of them have vacancies. The rents probably start at about $2K in this area. There have been signs on some buildings recently regarding apts for rent, on all types of buildings old, new, small and large.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM

307 posts, read 2,507,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Morningside? WTH.....I tought that was east Harlem. Anyways I was there last week during the night. There were a few bums and drug dealers.....I saw a rat too. Maybe since your an older white woman you wont be affected by the elements.

WTF??? You can find rats and roaches everywhere in Manhattan, everywhere in NYC. Including the BX.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 AM

307 posts, read 2,507,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
You're welcome. I don't know how much you would like to spend for rent or how much space you are looking for. You should look on the west side. If you walk around from 110th and Lenox and all the way up the hill to Bway and hit all the in-between blocks. Check the blocks between 8th and Manhattan Aves up to 125th and the blocks 110th from Morningside Ave to Bway. As Mead stated this is Morningside heights. Go in and ask in the newer apt buildings a lot of them have vacancies. The rents probably start at about $2K in this area. There have been signs on some buildings recently regarding apts for rent, on all types of buildings old, new, small and large.

And exactly this area is bad. If you wanna fall to sleep by the sound of gun shots go ahead. And dont worry about the homeless people hanging around there cuz the shelters are very close.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
WTF??? You can find rats and roaches everywhere in Manhattan, everywhere in NYC. Including the BX.
Yeah, but I dont see them scurrying past the sidewalk trying to get pass me.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
DAS

Morningside Ave is in Morningside Heights also West Harlem. Not east Harlem. I live in Morningside Heights aka White Harlem. You are right there are loads of homeless people around, and drugs. The area is diverse so the homeless, druggies and criminals also represent this diversity.

As I have mentioned on previous post last year there were quite a few apt breakins in various buildings that would be considered very safe.

However overall the area is safer than East Harlem, also more diverse, so she won't stand out, if that is a consideration for her.

But there are no gunshots day are night. Not that there won't be but most of the time there isn't.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 11,245 times
sorry folks but this is SO pathetic this discussion on HARLEM .. whatev... the buzz the hype but find the REALITY .. inconvenient? .. move to Willy (williamsburg), LIC, Red Hook...etc

What do you expect .. for everything to be easy .. a few bums? The entire US economy is about to go kerplunk ... how about that.. bums are PEOPLE too... ppl disenfranchised historically .... at least you see black and latino "bums" what about the native americans? ..... exactly .. the system has a WAY of warping everybody's (including YOUR mind) to accept horrible reality yet keep you engage in a hustle or quest for GOLD ... I've been living in Harlem for 7 years.. moved from DC for college.. born in Brooklyn... it's happening EVERYWHERE .. this gentrification BS (Roachester, Cincinatti, Chicago, Miami, etc) .. glossy glass condos- move all the darkies out BS.

BS! So what you are scared of a rat or two ... it's U and your glossy glass against the homeless? A little compassion and more knowledge about what HARLEM exactly is ----East vs Morningside LOL...... clueless... if you are scared .. imagine how the marginalized feel .. everyone on both sides of the economic divide have FEAR... both the haves and have nots

it's the mentality that I resent ... this notion of privilege .. HARLEM IS NOT THE HAMPTONS!!!!!!!!!!
lol...

Now I'm a black teacher so I have high standards .. and I don't want black on black crime .. but i don't want gung-ho property value obsessed wine and olive consumers either ... then HARLEM .. the one I and they luv .. will be ERODED! .. then you'll be back to square one looking for the NEXT frontier.. the mentality is the same .. it's the same mentality that started colonialism ... this notion of I WANT THAT ... and damn it.. i'll change it to fit MY needs.

THAT ie---- Harlem, Slaves, Natural resources, South Africa, land, African or Asian babies to adopt....etc... it's the MENTALITY .. "oh but the rats... well i'll change it ..."

AMERICA is not yours! PERIOD.. it's all STOLEN land and then you trip about a rat and a mugging ... lol

but alas my diatribe is far beyond most ppl's heads... truth notwithstanding.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: