Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 05:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Do you see a lot of impoverished people sitting alongside you at your favorite trendy restaurants in Harlem?
There is many low income people who can afford to live a middle class lifestyle in NYC through government subsidizes. I have seen many people living in the project who own a car and have the latest iphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 PM

562 posts, read 464,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Few restaurants in Harlem are what one might call "trendy," much as the real estate people try to sell with this. And as much as I realize that one of the low-intellect types here will now besiege us all with even more links and insistences that Red Rooster is "the" spot. Hey, help yourselves. I do not buy that you have been to Londel's because that actually isn't true. As is known by most people who are familiar with Londel's.
I won't try to convince you because at the end of the day, you have the right to espouse your opinion. I will however state that you know nothing about me, therefore your opinion is completely off the mark.

Quote:
However, more importantly and assuming that others may be interested in more meaningful aspects of culture than you are, I will say that I do know for a fact that lots of low-income people visit the museums. They can because there is always a free night, and a few people are members - a really good deal with many benefits.
Yes, there are loads of low income people visiting the museums and frequenting free lectures at the Schomburg or the local library. Now back to reality, the sad truth is, most low income New Yorkers do not take advantage of free (or moderately priced) cultural events, especially, if it's not pertaining to urban/hip hop music.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:19 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:

Yes, there are loads of low income people visiting the museums and frequenting free lectures at the Schomburg or local libraries.

Yes, there are. I know this for a fact and you do not.

There are relatively fewer lectures at the Schomburg in comparison to other venues. So your attempt at "reality effect" has backfired.

Not buying your claim about Londel's. It was an odd choice because while it did turn up right away with google as a Harlem restaurant, it is the last choice one might have made given your claim. This has nothing to do with "vibe" - and what was that "vibe," exactly ? - or anything else.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
There is many low income people who can afford to live a middle class lifestyle in NYC through government subsidizes. I have seen many people living in the project who own a car and have the latest iphone.
Keep in mind: You are responding to a person who stated, on another thread, that "black" people should "get over slavery" and do something with themselves, for example, move back down south.

No .... I am not making that up.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are. I know this for a fact and you do not.

There are relatively fewer lectures at the Schomburg in comparison to other venues. So your attempt at "reality effect" has backfired.

Not buying your claim about Londel's. It was an odd choice because while it did turn up right away with google as a Harlem restaurant, it is the last choice one might have made given your claim. This has nothing to do with "vibe" - and what was that "vibe," exactly ? - or anything else.
Again, you know nothing about me. I dine at many different restaurants. When I'm in Harlem, I prefer Londels and Mobays.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind: You are responding to a person who stated, on another thread, that "black" people should "get over slavery" and do something with themselves, for example, move back down south.

No .... I am not making that up.
I never stated that black people should get over slavery, if you are going to quote me, use my exact words. For the record, I stated the following:

Black American people really need to expand their history beyond the transatlantic slave trade and understand that white men are not the original slave masters. The inconvenient truth is that the men who had a hand in jump starting that 400 years of oppression and selling your ancestors into bondage actually share your melanin. This history of black American people didn't start with the transatlantic slave trade....black men have been abusing and selling out black women and children long before that, and more to the point, they are still abusing black women today.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Again, you know nothing about me. I dine at many different restaurants. When I'm in Harlem, I prefer Londels and Mobays.
Mobay closed in 2012.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Mobay closed in 2012.
Yes, well that is where I would go, when I lived in Harlem. The irony is, I probably lived in Harlem longer than the "Harlem Resident."

Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I never stated that black people should get over slavery, if you are going to quote me, use my exact words. For the record, I stated the following:

Black American people really need to expand their history beyond the transatlantic slave trade and understand that white men are not the original slave masters. The inconvenient truth is that the men who had a hand in jump starting that 400 years of oppression and selling your ancestors into bondage actually share your melanin. This history of black American people didn't start with the transatlantic slave trade....black men have been abusing and selling out black women and children long before that, and more to the point, they are still abusing black women today.
But your own words are so much better !

Cannot make this stuff up.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
But your own words are so much better !

Cannot make this stuff up.
I don't believe anyone with intellect and/or knowledge of history would refute my statement. Study the Moors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City