Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 04:11 PM

562 posts, read 463,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes it's a sociohistorical and socioeconomic issue that needs to be addressed nationwide.

And actually NYC is fairly unique in it's public transportation system. I bet in Atlanta area many poor Blacks have never really left their neighborhood. In NYC going out of your neighborhood is just a subway fare away. NYC has a lot of well educated people who like to debate marginalization, segregation, etc. But that doesn't mean other places aren't worse, it's just that NYC attracts policy makers and academics who like to discuss these things.
Most impoverished people in NYC rarely leave their neighborhood or their particular borough, despite having a wealth of public transportation options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Proof?

Especially in the South's urban areas?

Ownership also means little if you own a home in an area far from jobs. I've known many Black homeowners in Central Alabama. They are also two hours away from an airport, from major hospitals, and any other worthwhile amenity.

With that said believe it or not there are middle class Black people in NYC working in civil service, education, hospitals, and even in the private sector.

Lastly not all Black New Yorkers are tied to the South. Perhaps the majority of Blacks here are immigrants or first generation Americans. Black Hispanics, West Indians, and Africans have no reason to go to the South.

As for Black Americans whose families have been living in NYC for generations, they won't know anybody in the South. All my older relatives in the South are passing on and if I were to have children there would be nobody for them to know in the South. For many families this is already the case.

But you know all this. From time to time you come here and post under different usernames how all Blacks should worship the South.
I am not advocating for blacks to only consider the South. What about the Midwest or other regions? Heck, how about considering international opportunities, especially if one is educated and has in demand skills?

Old 11-01-2015, 04:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Most impoverished people in NYC rarely leave their neighborhood or their particular borough, despite having a wealth of public transportation options.
Most don't have means to even travel and experience the country or world. This is not good in my book.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Very true. I read an article similar to what is going on in San Francisco. This is regional national phenomenon. So far the biggest problems of inequality are solely in liberal urban regions.
It has nothing to do with liberalism!!

There are inequities in conservative places like Mississippi. For rather obvious historical reasons the people with the top jobs in Mississippi are white. Ditto Alabama.

I think you for some reason don't want to confront that this is a national sociohistorical issue with heavy racial undertones. It has nothing to do with cities, transplants, liberals, conservatives, etc.

White families in much large numbers were able to get subsidized mortgages and move to the suburbs post WW2. Earlier before other groups could do it, they were able to get GI bills and have the military pay for their educations and also use the military to give them subsidized mortgages.

Recent arrivals in to the US/NYC make take generations for their families to climb up to that.

Of Black families that moved up socioeconomically, again this had to do with the overall state of your family. My grandparents were homeowners, and them having assets did enable make to attend top universities ultimately.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Proof?

I've lived in Bronx and in Queens, and those subway commutes are extremely crowded going into Manhattan during rush hours. Those workers work in a variety of jobs ,and some of them are low wage. So proof of your claims?

Old 11-01-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Proof?

I've lived in Bronx and in Queens, and those subway commutes are extremely crowded going into Manhattan during rush hours. Those workers work in a variety of jobs ,and some of them are low wage. So proof of your claims?
I'm a native New Yorker. If you are also native to the area, you know that most low income people rarely leave their immediate communities. Surely, they use public transportation, but more often than not, they stay within the confines of their boroughs and rarely take advantage of the various museums, shows, etc, that NYC has to offer (because they can't afford it).

Just a week and a half ago, I ventured back to NY to visit family. My family and I purchased tickets to see Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Orchestra perform a Thelonious Monk tribute concert at New York City’s Town Hall. Needless to say, there were hardly ANY blacks present (other than a handful of older black couples, which was interesting considering that it was a sold out performance).

Anyhow, I love visiting NYC because I can engage in all of the activities that make NYC great. I simply feel bad for the working poor and lower middle class, who rarely have an opportunity to see a Broadway performance, watch an off Broadway play, or enjoy a great musician like Marsalis...

Old 11-01-2015, 04:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
For black Americans, the wealth of a family or two that has been "middle class for generations" makes little impact on the problem, which is a big one.

Thought I would point that out before someone posts stories about somebody as a demonstration that the problem is nonexistent.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Very true. I read an article similar to what is going on in San Francisco. This is regional national phenomenon. So far the biggest problems of inequality are solely in liberal urban regions.
Exactly.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes you do. In fact, NY State's Blackest zip code at 93% Black in SE Queens has a Black median household income of about $84,000. That is above metro, county, state and national levels of median household income according relatively recent info(08-12 census info). 11411 Zip Code - USA.comâ„¢
11411 Zip Code Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
11411 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Also, NY State's Blackest community in Lakeview on Long Island at 81% Black, had a median household income of $102,000 or so during the same time period. Lakeview, NY - USA.comâ„¢
Lakeview, NY Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

The most recent info available from the census is 09-13 info.

There are other examples of Black median household incomes in other parts of the metro, state and Northeast/Midwest that would be viewed as middle class. This can be found in a range of areas in terms of Black percentage from very low to overwhelmingly Black. Ive actually contributed to such threads on here.

Also, the mobility statement is due to the second article I posted in my first post within this thread.
Gasp! You posted stats on the Black middle class in the NY area, and that isn't permitted. There are Black middle class neighborhoods in metro NYC area! Oh the horror, the horror from liberals/progressives that like use Blacks as a pet cause like saving the whales or saving the lions.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I am not advocating for blacks to only consider the South. What about the Midwest or other regions? Heck, how about considering international opportunities, especially if one is educated and has in demand skills?
Well if one is educated and has in demand skills there is no reason to leave NYC is there? Regardless people should live where they want to and it's not up to you to tell Blacks where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City