Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is not a problem of "poor" people or people living in the projects. There was just a big story about this somewhere else, cannot recall, but I do remember that a few of the big publishers are quite involved in discussing this problem. The Daily News is giving you the "public friendly" version.

Black Americans with impressive educational backgrounds acquire far less wealth than is the case for many other groups. This suggests a much bigger problem than "people should leave New York" or "people have no job skills."
this has to do with networking skills.

you wont even get an interview in this city for a job that pays over 50K without knowing somebody within organization, which is why most black people in the city who are successful end up as civil servants in city and state jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
I am not advocating for blacks to only consider the South. What about the Midwest or other regions? Heck, how about considering international opportunities, especially if one is educated and has in demand skills?

"Blacks," really ?!

Because I know a few whites living in New York - in Harlem, in fact - who would not make the income test either.

It cannot be possible that a person has that little of a clue.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i do not agree that race is the primary factor in difference in income in nyc
This would mean that moving to nyc should ensure wealthy status to any immigrant not of color
What is true that in our public Ed system many people gifted people of color get over looked bek they are not rich
I made a thread about this. This is very true and sad. Another big problem is that a good portion of the youths who attend public school system come from a dysfunctional family, a single parent household, or a two parent household where both parents work and are barely involved in their kids livelyhoods. All of this sets up a fluster$%# of problems when they reach adulthood.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ed-locals.html

Old 11-01-2015, 06:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I made a thread about this. This is very true and sad. Another big problem is that a good portion of the youths who attend public school system come from a dysfunctional family, a single parent household, or a two parent household where both parents work and are barely involved in their kids livelyhoods. All of this sets up a fluster$%# of problems when they reach adulthood.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ed-locals.html
I know lots of youth in ghetto areas that have two parents in the household.

Some of you commenting here did not even grow up with two parents so stop judging.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
So do I.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:

Some of you commenting here did not even grow up with two parents so stop judging.
That is not the point. I know youths in the ghetto who also have two parent households. Yes functional, however their parents are never home and struggle to keep things afloat. Not to be rude or nothing, but some of these families need to be thankful for grandparents and uncles and aunts who get involved. I'm not judging anything. This is simple sociology. So relax my boy, and take a chill pill and stop being trolling my posts, because you're making me laugh!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That is not the point. I know youths in the ghetto who also have two parent households. Yes functional, however their parents are never home and struggle to keep things afloat. Not to be rude or nothing, but some of these families need to be thankful for grandparents and uncles and aunts who get involved. I'm not judging anything. This is simple sociology. So relax my boy, and take a chill pill and stop being trolling my posts, because you're making me laugh!
I am not trolling your posts my dear friend.

I was simply making a point...and It was not directed at you personally.

Stop having expectations for some people that you don't have for yourselves.

Some people on this very forum of many colors, races, and creeds who grew up without both parents, have come from lower class backgrounds themselves, have been on welfare lines and food lines, but yet will complain about the "scum," "animals," "savages," and their lack of "personal responsibility". You should just admit it...you hate the "ghetto" black and Hispanic people.

Please don't throw stones when you can't even afford a glass house. That is all.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Working class/Middle class whites are leaving in large numbers, leaving mainy the rich whites, thus making the gap bigger.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Working class/Middle class whites are leaving in large numbers, leaving mainy the rich whites, thus making the gap bigger.
Working class whites fled the city along ago, and the whites who later moved in are rich.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
I am not trolling your posts my dear friend.

I was simply making a point...and It was not directed at you personally.

Stop having expectations for some people that you don't have for yourselves.

Some people on this very forum of many colors, races, and creeds who grew up without both parents, have come from lower class backgrounds themselves, have been on welfare lines and food lines, but yet will complain about the "scum," "animals," "savages," and their lack of "personal responsibility". You should just admit it...you hate the "ghetto" black and Hispanic people.

Please don't throw stones when you can't even afford a glass house. That is all.
There's a problem there though. He can hate ghetto Blacks and Hispanics all he wants, but to move to the metro areas good neighborhoods (Manhattan, Western Brooklyn or Western Queens or the suburbs) costs quite a bit of money. I think Bronxguyanese has been unable to move up socioeconomically and resents seeing whites (and to a degree Asians) with good educations moving to NYC and getting good jobs. That's why he complains about the city not nuturing gifted poor kids (diamonds in a bed of COAL).

Bronxguyanese my friend, SAVE up your money and do what you have to do and get yourself into a good grad program and make that move. With a better education you can be more selective about where you live and you won't have to deal with those ghetto people you don't like.

As to your last line, COLD my friend. LOL Served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City