Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
African-Americans keep falling further behind because they continue to drink the Kool-Aid their "friends" in government (Democrats/liberals/progressives) dish out.

Thanks to the policies of those groups NYC like much of the USA is flooded with Latino/Hispanic *immigrants*. Those persons are often in direct competition with American Blacks for everything from employment to housing. Many of the so called jobs Americans wouldn't do are being filled by illegals or other immigrants willing to take on the work for less.

Construction is a clear example. Tons of non-union work is going on but the pay is often a third of union scale. Where guys once got $40-$50 hour places are paying $13 to $15. Yes, you see many Blacks working on those sites but they are cutting their noses to spite their faces.

Janitorial/cleaning is rapidly being taken over by outsourced companies who hire illegals.

OTOH the once stable employment sector for African Americans, civil service is shrinking.
I somewhat dispute this.

I've known many white servicemen who take the GI money and use it to pay for college. I've known many servicemen who used the GI benefits to get good rates on mortgages for homes, etc. My stepfather got a good deal on a mortgage because he was a GI.

So clearly it's not just government aid. Government aid can be good and helpful, depending on the type of government aid.

Many Blacks moved into housing projects because they came from shacks in the South or in the Caribbean, and that is a kool aid that ruined families for generations. Husbands had to leave because public housing was only for single mothers. When mom died she had no assets and nothing to leave her children. If you watch documentaries of older Blacks who were children when their parents moved into projects, they thought they were getting a good deal because these were people not used to running water, heat, and electricity. Of course as time went by quite clearly this was not such a good deal.

For those that are poor.

Of course everyone ignores Black middle class and Black professionals. What one does with one's life individually also effects the family for generations. If my grandparents had left their home for the housing projects I might be stuck there myself.

NYC's Black population is heavily immigrant itself and that also effects the statistic as immigrants UNLESS they come from families with money have a hard time competing with natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
70 percent of black people in NYC rent, of the 30 percent who do own homes over half are foreign immigrants
Yes the high level of renters also hurts. The insistence of some people of staying in rent stabilized apartments may also be harming them.

Of course you need a decent income to have good enough credit to buy. There were historical issues of banks denying mortgages to Blacks who could afford to pay as well.

Re: I don't think there are reliable statistics on the ethnicity of Black homeowners in metro NYC and I challenge anyone to demonstrate them. No anecdotal evidence please, link me up with census bureau stats that show that most Black homeowners are immigrants.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
So wait a minute. You're calling me a racists while I'm a person of color? That I hate ghetto black and Hispanic people? Are you calling me a classicists because I hate ghetto people? No. In my previous posts I was just explaining societal issues that hold children back and that was and now you go on a tirade on par with writerdude. No need to be offended. I probably touched a nerve inside of you?

I don't resent transplants. I like to joke about them. In matter of fact, some of them are my friends and I even have a white transplant girlfriend. A few days ago a met up with a good friend, a local that I haven't seen since high school who is eager to change jobs. He hopes to become a sanitation worker. He scored high in the 80s, but yet his lists number is not high enough but he hopes he will get called. He asked me, how did this city get like this. This city was a rat race and has become increasingly competitive, this was not the case a decade ago. Hell I actually known a man with a community college degree and works as an analyst on wall street. When he leaves his postion is going to go to someone with an Ivy league degree or some top college like a UVA, Stanford or Duke.

I have one last vacation week left and I don't know where to visit. A buddy of mines who recently moved to Bay Area wants me to come out for vacation and check it out, while another friend wants me to visit NC he is a Sargent for a local police department and wants me to check it out, while a relative wants me to visit Canada for the holidays. My big concern is not ghetto people, but also closet elitist folks such as yourself are just as a big evil as ghetto people, sometimes even worse.

This is very true and is heart of the problem.
You've been checking out places on this forum for years, yet no major change in wherever you live.

You're going to keep complaining about your situation and never do anything about it until it's far too late and then you'll be so old it won't matter.

Do some stuff to move up socioeconomically and stop worrying about ghetto people, elitists, and all this theoretical mumbo-jumbo.

It's your life and in the end you are the only one responsible for it. Find some happiness and love in this world man.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:38 AM

I think white flight and gentrification have also skewered the stats for white.

White middle class and poor whites FLED in NYC as immigrants moved in. Poor Black Americans did not flee NYC and stayed. They tend to stay till the landlord evicts them to wherever.

It's also not entirely true that immigrants don't compete with poor whites. Nationally and even in NYC there are indeed whites who work in retail or hospitality (restaurant/bar) or other low end service jobs.

Immigrants compete with all unskilled Americans for low wage labor, regardless of the race of the unskilled person.

Likewise I'm Black and the jobs I go out for no illegal immigrant could get because one needs advanced education and professional licenses to go out and get these kinds of jobs. I'm not the only Black professional.

The stats for wealthy disparities may get skewered for another reason. Most (but not all) millionaires and billionaires by American standards are white and those numbers have to be included in the stats. That does not mean that there aren't PLENTY of POOR white people in this nation.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 AM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I somewhat dispute this.

I've known many white servicemen who take the GI money and use it to pay for college. I've known many servicemen who used the GI benefits to get good rates on mortgages for homes, etc. My stepfather got a good deal on a mortgage because he was a GI.

So clearly it's not just government aid. Government aid can be good and helpful, depending on the type of government aid.

Many Blacks moved into housing projects because they came from shacks in the South or in the Caribbean, and that is a kool aid that ruined families for generations. Husbands had to leave because public housing was only for single mothers. When mom died she had no assets and nothing to leave her children. If you watch documentaries of older Blacks who were children when their parents moved into projects, they thought they were getting a good deal because these were people not used to running water, heat, and electricity. Of course as time went by quite clearly this was not such a good deal.

For those that are poor.

Of course everyone ignores Black middle class and Black professionals. What one does with one's life individually also effects the family for generations. If my grandparents had left their home for the housing projects I might be stuck there myself.

NYC's Black population is heavily immigrant itself and that also effects the statistic as immigrants UNLESS they come from families with money have a hard time competing with natives.
Once again you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

African Americans in NYC who moved into housing projects came from the same situations as whites; apartments, tenements, returning servicemen, apartment hotels, etc... No one was living in a *SHACK* in NYC during the periods when federal housing projects went up.

Grew up with and or know plenty of Black kids on Staten Island whose parents were the first tenants of Todt Hill Houses and West Brighton Houses. Their parents came from Harlem in Manhattan, not shacks. Furthermore these were either two or single income (SAHM was the norm) households. No fathers were forced to go anywhere.

Where do you get this stuff?

Old 11-02-2015, 01:42 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is not a problem of "poor" people or people living in the projects. There was just a big story about this somewhere else, cannot recall, but I do remember that a few of the big publishers are quite involved in discussing this problem. The Daily News is giving you the "public friendly" version.

Black Americans with impressive educational backgrounds acquire far less wealth than is the case for many other groups. This suggests a much bigger problem than "people should leave New York" or "people have no job skills."
One thing that is striking to me is the dearth of African-Americans in business and Wall St. There needs to be a push towards Black entrepreneurship since it's ownership of capital that builds multi-generational wealth.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Once again you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

African Americans in NYC who moved into housing projects came from the same situations as whites; apartments, tenements, returning servicemen, apartment hotels, etc... No one was living in a *SHACK* in NYC during the periods when federal housing projects went up.

Grew up with and or know plenty of Black kids on Staten Island whose parents were the first tenants of Todt Hill Houses and West Brighton Houses. Their parents came from Harlem in Manhattan, not shacks. Furthermore these were either two or single income (SAHM was the norm) households. No fathers were forced to go anywhere.

Where do you get this stuff?
Oh I do know what I am talking about.

NYC did not have large numbers of Blacks until the 20th century, and many of those who moved into housing projects were comparatively recent arrivals from farming type situations. Sharecropping was ending in the South (the economy changed and there wasn't the same need for so many rural workers), and so that's why Blacks originally moved to Northern cities. Or they moved from the Caribbean.

But these people had lived most of their lives in shacks on land owned by others (Sharecroppers). The Caribbean was third world, so obviously they weren't living in what most Americans today would call good houses.

And upon moving to NYC, at least in neighborhoods like Brownsville there were plenty of tenements that did not have heat or running water or were otherwise barely functioning. Basically a run down shack of a building and my statements stand. For more information on this matter check out Pritchett who wrote a book on Brownsville called Brownsville, Blacks and Jews.

Watch this entire documentary on Blacks who were the first generation of public housing residents in St. Louis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKgZM8y3hso

According to these people interviewed, in Mo. their families were to ditch their fathers in order to get in the housing projects and in order to get welfare benefits. Granted this is not NYC, but St. Louis was far from the only place that this happened with. Just because it did not happen to your friends does not mean it didn't happen.

The people on this forum rely too much on personal, anecdotal evidence.

Those Blacks who were apart of this great migration, whether they ended up in St. Louis or New York again were poor rural people used to shacks and let's just say they did not have access to good accomodation upon moving North. It amazes me how everyone claims to be an expert on Blacks without any real evidence or context beyond having a few Black friends.

I have Jewish friends and classmates. But I never formally taken Judaic studies, nor did I grow up Jewish so on matters of Judaism I would be silent on why they are the way they are. Yet ever too bit person with no credentials to speak of claims to be an expert on Blacks.

Why is that?

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 11-02-2015 at 02:25 AM..

Old 11-02-2015, 02:24 AM

For the record I gave formal citations as to the early 20th century housing conditions for Blacks for those who truly don't know ONLY because readers deserve more than anecdotal knowledge.

I didn't need formal citations for this knowledge because as an African American whose mother's family is from the South and who has known the descendants of many other Southern migrants, I know very well what housing conditions they lived under IN the SOUTH and upon their arrival in Northern cities. I know very well the economic conditions they faced in both places. Post slavery when Blacks sharecropped (til the mid 20th century in some cases) property ownership rates weren't that great and Jim Crow segregation limited job and educational opportunities and this was not dismantled till the 1960s or 70s. And this too has long term effects on the generational wealth of Blacks as a whole. It was not that Blacks magically wanted to follow liberals. There's the historical record on the effect that this history of segregation post civil war had upon Blacks and it may honestly take generations to grow out of this. Just because you had a few Black playmates in Staten Island does not qualify you for the spokesperson for Blacks in general.

Unlike you experts on Blacks who have a few Black friends growing up based, and based on that decide you know the entire story of all Blacks in the world based on that.

Undergraduate my speciality in history was Latin American studies and I would never claim to know the full story of the Latin population in big cities or NYC based on the fact I'm originally from a Latino neighborhood in Queens!

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 11-02-2015 at 02:47 AM..

Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
One thing that is striking to me is the dearth of African-Americans in business and Wall St. There needs to be a push towards Black entrepreneurship since it's ownership of capital that builds multi-generational wealth.
Historically it was hard for Blacks to gain loans, and quite clearly few Blacks had access to top level bankers or investors.

As for opening up small businesses, well large retailers and companies like Amazon are obliterating them so why bother. If you speak of a NYC context, the instant a lease is up landlords will jack up the rent substantially and if the business cannot pay (and many small businesses cannot) the business shuts down to be replaced by a bank branch, Starbucks, WalGreens, CVS, Subway's, cell phone store, chain restaurant, chain fast food place, or other major retailer.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:35 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You've been checking out places on this forum for years, yet no major change in wherever you live.

You're going to keep complaining about your situation and never do anything about it until it's far too late and then you'll be so old it won't matter.

Do some stuff to move up socioeconomically and stop worrying about ghetto people, elitists, and all this theoretical mumbo-jumbo.

It's your life and in the end you are the only one responsible for it. Find some happiness and love in this world man.
You shouldn't talk. You moved to LA. Soon after getting butt hurt in LA, you had to run back to nyc with a tail between your legs. You probably had to move back because LA is not as liberal as nyc and you have to drive every where.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-02-2015 at 05:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City