Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
French dude recently opened up a bakery in Bushwick/Ridgewood. Thats gotta say something about the opportunities available in France.
While much of the staff is either Latino/Hispanic (especially the cooking and cleaning staff) it seems most Maison Kayser outlets are at least managed by French.

By the way whatever their French origins Maison Kayser is now owned by a Chinese company IIRC. Parisians often consider the quality of goods no better than "fast" French baked goods; sort of stuff you get from Ed's or other supermarkets. Local bakeries still put out the best breads and other things. Sadly far too many than is right have problems with rats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,501 times
I speak French to some extent (learned it in school, I'm from NY and English is my native language) --- I've heard it spoken, only a little bit, but some.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Some are French Jews, not Hassidic. Deadly attacks in France specifically targeting Jews over the past two years have caused thousands to leave, especially educated young people starting out careers. If they don't choose Israel, NYC is a natural choice. One Sephardi synagogue on UWS report an uptick in new arrivals from France since 2014.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Some are French Jews, not Hassidic. Deadly attacks in France specifically targeting Jews over the past two years have caused thousands to leave, especially educated young people starting out careers. If they don't choose Israel, NYC is a natural choice. One Sephardi synagogue on UWS report an uptick in new arrivals from France since 2014.
How do they get work visas? My understanding is it's not so easy just to up and leave your country of origin to come to work in the US.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:58 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I would like too see statistics. As someone who works in Lower Manhattan, speak french BUT is not from France nor a francophone country, I haven't notice any difference from the past 10 years. From my days working in Greenwich Village to FiDi and Lower Manhattan, most francophones I met were from Quebec, and to a lesser extent, from West African countries.
I was going to say that I would think more would be from Quebec than from France because Quebec is just a few hours up the Thruway/Northway. My guess is that more than a few are likely to be "illegals" as it's really easy to cross into the US from Canada as a visitor and just stay.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I was going to say that I would think more would be from Quebec than from France because Quebec is just a few hours up the Thruway/Northway. My guess is that more than a few are likely to be "illegals" as it's really easy to cross into the US from Canada as a visitor and just stay.
Are you saying you spend time in NYC and also that you can tell the difference between Canadian French and French from France? Because otherwise, how could you possibly have enough information to form an opinion like the one above?

Old 11-07-2015, 04:59 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It doesn't seem to be the case (I used to live in Quebec and the accent is really different). Mostly they seem to be French (or Swiss). I don't know why there are so many here, whether they're tourists or living here--I suspect a combination of both.

But I think that NYC has become somewhat romanticized in France in recent years, the same way that Paris is for Americans. I moonlight as a tour guide/tour interpreter in French, and the tourists often remark about hearing so much French here (but don't seem to know why either!).

Old 11-07-2015, 05:05 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are you saying you spend time in NYC and also that you can tell the difference between Canadian French and French from France? Because otherwise, how could you possibly have enough information to form an opinion like the one above?

Well actually there is a difference between Canadian and Metropolitan French (the version spoke in Paris and most of France). Those who have been educated/taught and are familiar with "France" French can tell the difference and vice versa.

Canadian French especially as spoken by those from Quebec is closer to the version of ancien regime French spoken before the Revolution than the modern Metropolitan French. It actually wasn't until well after the Revolution under Bonaparte that serious attempts were made to make formal education of a standard French language a priority. Prior to this much depended up on where one was born/spent one's life. This would explain partially why Canadian French is different. The first immigrants arrived prior to the revolution and more came during the immediate aftermath. Thus cut off from Bonaparte's "reforms".

Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well actually there is a difference between Canadian and Metropolitan French (the version spoke in Paris and most of France). Those who have been educated/taught and are familiar with "France" French can tell the difference and vice versa.
Yes, I know that. I speak French, although I have to say that when I went to the rural areas of Quebec, I had a hard time with comprehending the strong rural Canadian French spoken there. They could understand my "Parisian" French fine, although I am not fluent.

I guess you misunderstood my point to the above poster. My point was that I am guessing she hasn't spent much time in NYC at all, and even if she has, I doubt she (personally) can hear the difference between Canadian French and Parisian French, due to the strange comment she posted. If she does spend time in NYC and can hear the accent difference, she would know that the French in Manhattan is highly unlikely to be the "illegal Canadian" variety as she alleges.

That's all.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Henna you're correct it's hard to get a work visa to the U.S. But, on a case-by-case basis, there are other possibilities that might apply:

H-1B visas for highly skilled workers
J-1 visas for people with medical training
E-B5 visas for people able to invest money in the United States.

Plus, although it's not a work visa and only lasts for some years, a student visa can carry someone into graduate school.

None of the above are easy visas, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City