Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 56,074 times

Advertisements

I have a few general questions on this neighborhood and would enjoy and appreciate any input!

-what is your definition of the boundaries of Fort Greene/Clinton Hill?

-is a 2 bedroom apartment possible for approx. $2100 a month?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times
I live in Fort Greene on Lafayette and South Oxford so hopefully I can help out. I'm not sure of the technical definition of Fort Greene but I would guess it is Flatbush to Washington Ave going East/West and Myrtle Ave. to Atlantic Ave. going north/south. The "prime area of Fort Greene I would consider as Ashland to Washington and Willoughby to Fulton. Any of the blocks in that stretch are great and, in fact, South Portland between Lafayette and DeKalb was rated as the best block in NYC by Time Out NY this year.

I would argue that the most desirable blocks are those between DeKalb and Lafayette. From my place it is a 5 minute walk to the Atlantic Ave station for just about every train line in the city, I have the C train one block away, and also the G train one block away. The location, in my opinion is ideal. There are some great restaurants and bars along DeKalb and near the Fulton/Lafayette intersection. Just keep in mind that the further you go towards Washington Ave the further you get from all the subways. Although the neighborhood is VERY nice over by Washington you would likely be tethered to the G train which is not my idea of a good time.

The area is a great mix of young professionals, families, and some of the "hipster" element although they are much more subdued than the Williamsburg variety. The area is full of brownstones, old trees, and loads of character. Large portions of the neighborhood are designated as historic districts.

Clinton Hill is bound by Washington Ave. and Classon Ave. and Myrtle to Fulton. Don't let brokers trick you into anything past Classon as being Clinton Hill. Anything past Classon is Bed-Stuy though there is some overflow from Pratt and some nice lofts on Taafe Pl. As with every other hood brokers like to play loose with the boundaries. Clinton Hill is serviced exclusively by the G train so make sure to consider that.

I'm not familiar with the rent on two bedrooms in the area but I would guess you could get one for that price. I pay $1350 for a studio in PRIME Fort Greene if that helps give you an idea.

If I'm leaving anything out or you want any more specifics let me know and I should be able to answer them.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
first off fort greene and clinton hill are 2 different neighborhoods.

clinton hill's boundaries
north: flushing av
south: fulton st
west: vanderbilt av
east: classon av

fort greene's boundaries
north: flushing av/nassau st
south: fulton st
west: flatbush av
east: vanderbilt av

a 2 bdrm for $2100 is doable, just search hard enough....check classified ads in local papers, take a walk around and ask the supers in the buildings.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-01-2008, 09:51 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
I agree with everything Jeffcon said but I agree with 7th that the boundaries go up to Flushing Ave. That does not mean you should be willing to live up there since it's far from the train, ugly, and has a big highway running through it. A lot of ads for Fort Greene are north of Myrtle, but I'd stay south of Myrtle and preferably south of Willoughby. Jeffcon's right that DeKalb/Lafayette is the best of it. I also second avoiding the G train since you need to transfer to go to/from Manhattan and it's just a pain. That keeps you down near Fulton St and the C. The best area for the train and how it looks is just south of Ft. Greene Park but this will be the most expensive. Clinton/Wash Aves have some great blocks but more toward the G train than the C.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times
Agree with both Holden and Seventh on the Flushing ave boundaries. Technically both areas do extend up to there but on the north side of Fort Greene park is projects and the areas between Myrtle and Flushing are generally ugly, run down, far from all transportation, and I don't feel safe waking around there alone after dark. Myrtle stays pretty busy but even that isn't great late at night.

Stay south of Willoughby and north of Fulton if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City