Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 03:52 PM

7,879 posts, read 7,784,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
When was the last time you were there exactly? And how would you define "ratchet"?
Ratchet is, Uncouth. Unsavory. Unsafe. Unsatisfactory. See the pattern here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,261,135 times
Quote:
This happened on a moving train that travels through three boroughs...this isn't a "bed stuy is dangerous" incident, it's a "some crazy person stabbed someone on the train" incident. It could have easily taken place on any train line near any stop. For example:

Man stabbed on Union Square subway platform: cops - NY Daily News

Man riding No. 2 train stabs straphanger after dispute over seat: police | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Subway Stabbing: Two Stabbed At Columbus Circle

6 Train Fight Video Shows Enraged Rider Trying To Stab Woman With Pen

Man Stabbed Multiple Times On Subway Platform In Chelsea « CBS New York

Man stabbed on subway platform in Park Slope | TWU Local 100

Would you like me to go on..?

OP, I'm in no way tying to scare you with these links. I'm just trying to show the absurdity of the posters that are fear mongering. You'll be in the area at a reasonable hour and when it will be well populated. Add to that that, the area has seen significant improvement in terms of safety and QOL over the last 5 years. I would bet money that when you see the area, you'll be totally shocked at what this area of Bed Stuy is like in 2015.
Not even 10 days later and this time a shooting at the Utica station during rush hour. But no, its no worse of an area than anywhere else in the city.

Two people shot at subway station during rush hour | New York Post

Old 11-18-2015, 09:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,880,253 times
If you think Bed Stuy is dangerous, then you're just a horrible racist.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 PM

993 posts, read 1,377,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not even 10 days later and this time a shooting at the Utica station during rush hour. But no, its no worse of an area than anywhere else in the city.

Two people shot at subway station during rush hour | New York Post
I got there an hour after this thing happened, and the plaza was all police taped off. I had to hustle down to the 3/4 station at Eastern Parkway instead to get a train into Manhattan.

Later I read up. Two guys argued inside the bodega at the Utica station over breaking a $20 bill. One followed the other into the station, started shooting, hit him in the back. Tragically, a middle-aged innocent bystander coming up the steps also caught a bullet.

It's terrible, but...how is it any different than the Penn Station shooting 19 days ago? where someone followed someone into the station after an argument over drugs, and started shooting.
1 killed, 2 wounded in Penn Station shooting - NY Daily News

Seriously, what's the difference between these two incidents? Are you going to warn everyone not to use Penn Station? It doesn't happen every day, in either place.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-19-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,315,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
I got there an hour after this thing happened, and the plaza was all police taped off. I had to hustle down to the 3/4 station at Eastern Parkway instead to get a train into Manhattan.

Later I read up. Two guys argued inside the bodega at the Utica station over breaking a $20 bill. One followed the other into the station, started shooting, hit him in the back. Tragically, a middle-aged innocent bystander coming up the steps also caught a bullet.

It's terrible, but...how is it any different than the Penn Station shooting 19 days ago? where someone followed someone into the station after an argument over drugs, and started shooting.
1 killed, 2 wounded in Penn Station shooting - NY Daily News

Seriously, what's the difference between these two incidents? Are you going to warn everyone not to use Penn Station? It doesn't happen every day, in either place.
Exactly.

But GDale please go ahead and explain the difference.

Last edited by jad2k; 11-19-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 09:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,851,694 times
Why rehash the same arguments with G-Dale concerning Bedstuy?

He doesn't have the best opinion of Bedstuy and arguing with him likely won't change it.

Clearly the neighborhood has demographics change and has gotten better. At the same time we all can admit it has a ways to go.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,261,135 times
I like Bed Stuy. It has a ways to go though. Can't deny the fact it has more crime and QOL issues than most other NYC neighborhoods. Lets get real, you're trying to compare the Utica station to Penn.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,315,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I like Bed Stuy. It has a ways to go though. Can't deny the fact it has more crime and QOL issues than most other NYC neighborhoods. Lets get real, you're trying to compare the Utica station to Penn.
The point is neither Utica or Penn station have regular incidents where a gunman has a shoot out in the station during rush hour. That is a highly unusual situation, even for Bed Stuy. The comparison between both stations is a fair one. Since Bed Stuy has higher crime, your logic would mean that there would be regular gun battles inside the Bed Stuy subway stops, and that's just not true.

The OP had a question about visiting Bed Stuy for a specific reason at a specific time. This wasn't a "I'm moving to BS" post where QOL concerns have more relevance.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,462,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Ratchet is, Uncouth. Unsavory. Unsafe. Unsatisfactory. See the pattern here?
That wouldn't apply to the specific area the OP was asking about.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:06 PM

993 posts, read 1,377,948 times
Quote:
The point is neither Utica or Penn station have regular incidents where a gunman has a shoot out in the station during rush hour. That is a highly unusual situation, even for Bed Stuy. The comparison between both stations is a fair one. Since Bed Stuy has higher crime, your logic would mean that there would be regular gun battles inside the Bed Stuy subway stops, and that's just not true.

The OP had a question about visiting Bed Stuy for a specific reason at a specific time. This wasn't a "I'm moving to BS" post where QOL concerns have more relevance.
Agree, jad2k. Good logic.

I'll even agree with G-Dale that it's a part of the neighborhood that "still has a ways to go."

While we're getting really real, please re-read the OP. It asks, by referring to the Italian appearance, whether it's going to be safe or ok for someone with white skin to pass through the Utica station in early evening. It asks, essentially, two things: is it safe to come by, and does my skin difference make me more of a target?

I respect the OP for the question. And I think the answer is: No; you're not an extra target. Whatever's right or wrong about this neighborhood is the case for all who come through here. So keep your appointment. And I wrote a detailed post of landmarks to look for on those blocks, to feel less lost while walking a new location.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-20-2015 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City