Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:00 PM

38 posts, read 53,949 times

Advertisements

The title says it all.

Verbal and written agreement, forms signed that I was subletting from a tenant in a Brooklyn apartment. Both the landlord and tenant agreed to provide security deposit back after my (and other tenants) move out on August 30.

The tenant (who was subletting to me) received the security deposit check a few days ago of $495. I'm furious, as this landlord has put us through hell in this crumbling apartment and we have been nothing short of communicative and responsible to this dump. The other tenants had to argue for their full deposit return half a month ago and told me about this.

Is it in my best interest to threaten the tenant for not providing me my full security deposit back regardless of the landlord choosing not to provide the full deposit back to the tenant?

The Attorney General's office told me if I've paid all rent and security deposit to the tenant, then I don't deal directly with the landlord, I deal with the tenant. So by placing more pressure on the tenant, maybe he will become frustrated to get the full amount back from the landlord?

Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:05 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Did you take photo's proving you left the apt in good condition?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:16 PM

Yes, but regardless, I've been communicating for three months about the return of this deposit in which the tenant agreed. The tenant has no idea that I just consulted the Attorney General's office on what to do in this situation who then advised I should be pursuing the tenant for my return deposit and not asking the tenant to pursue the landlord for my return deposit.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Default Am I entitled to my full deposit back?

I subletted from a tenant of a 3bedroom in Brooklyn. We signed agreements, I paid him $650 for a deposit to live in the apartment. Meanwhile, he was on the lease and I assume paid a separate security deposit to the landlord.

The landlord has been an *******: would not fix broken floors, cockroaches, shower issues, etc

The other tenants argued over receiving only a portion of their deposit back 2 months after moving out. The landlord was holding out over any potential trash violations, bank fees or other junk. The tenants were able to receive their full deposits back.

Meanwhile, I expected the same, but the guy I subletted from just returned to the country to receive the landlord's checking telling me its only $495 and not $650 (what i paid). I asked him to tell the landlord is illegal to withhold our deposits for anything else not rent and apartment related and that the other tenants received their full amount back, and he should too. My subletter agreed, but regardless of how much the landlord gives my subletter back in a deposit, I should be given my full amount, correct?

There was no damage, no issue with this, the landlord is just a jerk for no reason, I mean that.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:36 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
You should just continue in the thread you already posted, instead of starting a new one. Too many threads on the same topic gets confusing.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ng-tenant.html

Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM

Thank you, I'm aware, and so in an effort to keep .... an online forum tidy, i'll delete the other when I get a response.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:33 PM

110 posts, read 159,041 times
Trash violation is sanitation fines from $25-$100
U can look up for it online
If u put trash on a non-collection day , your landlord gets fined
Mixing recyclable with household trash also get fined
Sidewalk dirty also get fined
Cardboard not binding neatly and scatter over the street also get fined

Now, u argued that $650 , could the lease holder keep that $155 and only give the landlord $495

Do u pay check or cash under the landlord's name or the lease holder's name ?

From what u said , u don't seem to deal the rent and deposit directly with the landlord ?

Did u call the landlord directly to find out why $495 and not $650 ?

That's why I think the lease holder took yours $155 , not the landlord

Or

The landlord did deduct $155 from the whole apt , but your leaseholder decided you should be the ones get deducted $155 while they get full deposit back instead of dividing the $155 deduction equally

Old 11-12-2015, 03:24 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latent123 View Post

Now, u argued that $650 , could the lease holder keep that $155 and only give the landlord $495

From what u said , u don't seem to deal the rent and deposit directly with the landlord ?

Or

The landlord did deduct $155 from the whole apt , but your leaseholder decided you should be the ones get deducted $155 while they get full deposit back instead of dividing the $155 deduction equally
Only answer that will matter in this thread.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM

110 posts, read 159,041 times
^ k

Old 11-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latent123 View Post

Or

No, we didn't have any trash fines. As I said, the other tenants were shorted their deposit at first too until they threatened the landlord and argued for the full amount returned. So what, now my subletter needs to do the same? It's absurd, because this landlord is a cheap-o. We haven't done anything wrong, i'm always on top of my ****, but for the life of me in the past two years, I cannot find a solid source of information that details how to go about getting security deposits back as a subleasee.

I doubt that my subletter would keep any of my deposit. He showed me the amount in a picture of a check that the landlord sent to him over the weekend. That would be a pretty seedy thing to do, as he even said I would get my full deposit back after the walkthrough.

I don't deal with the landlord directly, except for when I was living in that dump. I called the Attorney General office and they instructed I take issue with my subletter whom i paid all my rent to and paid the deposit to, and not the landlord.

The landlord despises me for all of my requests to fix the apartments damage and after sending complaints to nyc 411, I don't prefer to talk with him directly anymore. He would also advise that I have nothing to do with it and its Sam (the subletter's) deposit and not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: