Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:33 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

i remember the newspapers used to have the pocono housing section . why rent-when you can own .

what a disaster that campaign grew in to .taxes soared in many of the those publicized areas in monroe .they needed the tax revenue to build more infrastructure for so many .

there were so many defaults . it was one big come on . like these people moved there thinking they were going to commute every day back to the city .

after a while i did not even want to do it every other weekend .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
You know the place is messed up financially when they were taking out full page ads in FULL print rags like AM New York and Metro (those free subway papers that I think have gone away, but I still see them sometimes). Big full page full color ads saying WHY RENT WHEN YOU CAN OWN a house in the Poconos? LOL. Okay, sure, let's plop down hundreds of thousands of dollars to live in the rural ghetto.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
i would have to be financially independent or be able to work from home every day in order to move to northeast PA. i do love the peace and quiet, nature, and lots of land, and not seeing neighbors

Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Grants keep Poconos to New York commuter train moving - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

Its all a scam

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2017, 10:21 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i remember the newspapers used to have the pocono housing section . why rent-when you can own .

what a disaster that campaign grew in to .taxes soared in many of the those publicized areas in monroe .they needed the tax revenue to build more infrastructure for so many .

there were so many defaults . it was one big come on . like these people moved there thinking they were going to commute every day back to the city .

after a while i did not even want to do it every other weekend .
As a kid remember television commercials (why rent when you can own?) promoting new housing developments in the Poconos. This was in the 1970's and into 1980's IIRC.

Also remember all those adverts for "Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge". What a sad ending that place had: The Thrills Are Over At Mount Airy Lodge; Once a Favored Honeymoon Retreat, A Troubled Resort Closes Its Doors - The New York Times

Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 AM

but remember , the pocono's take in a lot of counties .

the why rent when you could buy was for monroe county . the other counties are nothing like monroe county.

we were in pike county ,and then there is wayne county . all very different compared to monroe so you can't paint with a broad brush . we were in lake wallenpaupack which is extremely nice with one of the best school districts in the state .

it is a boaters mecca so lots of part time residents . these residents pay school taxes but don't use the schools so they have so the schools have so much money . taxes are pretty good too , compared to jersey or long island they can be 1/3. but not in monroe where schools and hospitals had to be built because the people were moving in from all the promotions . taxes are crazy there . we went to photograph Strasbourg and it was nasty in parts .

but what we dis-liked applies to all counties .

Old 10-24-2017, 06:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I really wouldn't mind living in Allentown

-Close to Philly and to a lesser extent NYC
-There's a Waffle House
-Puerto Rican booty everywhere
-Rents are way lower than NYC

I was born and raised in Allentown. It is not what it once was, not by a long shot. Once the industries failed (clothing and fabric, metal forging, brewing, Mack Truck, Western Electric and Bethlehem Steel) the City began a long downward spiral. I doubt things can get much worse.
I judge Allentown too dangerous a place in which to live.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-24-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 03:12 AM

we found life really was not a lot cheaper there as well .

i calculated we could make do with about 1/3 less income but pay was less than 1/2 if we relocated and i still was working . .

in queens we have a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment and no one lives with us , all the kids are married and out

however in the poconos we needed a 3000 sq ft house since everyone stays over , especially when we all got together for holidays there .

so housing actually was no savings .

Old 10-25-2017, 05:32 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Can you enjoy anything without calculating the cost down to the last penny?

Just west of the Poconos interests me possibly for retirement, but I really hope to purchase a place before that time comes, probably in upstate NY. I’ve wanted an outdoors getaway my entire life. I’m unconcerned with it’s “nth degree” impact on my investment power because it’s a luxury I’ve dreamed of since childhood. Quite frankly, achieving this has been one of my motivators for getting up in the morning since I started my career.

I think if you view something like a second home as a possible loss of investment dollars, you probably were never going to enjoy it fully in the first place. Some decisions involve “mental health” and shouldn’t be viewed solely through the lense of finances.

I don’t plan to stop my current savings/investments just to buy a cabin, but I sure as hell won’t push every single extra dollar I have off for retirement when I only have one life to live.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 AM

we love spending money and likely spend more a year on fun stuff than most new yorkers even make, always did . . . but what turned us sour was all the things it lacked once we retired there .

things have to make sense both financially and mentally to us . which once we had no desire to retire their had neither .

i always wanted a hunting getaway too and that is why we bought it . but once the dating stage ended with the house it was a lot of work and the rewards were growing less and less as time went on .

we found because it was part time every time i had some time off we felt almost obligated to go and we went no where else for years .

today , we love traveling and the ability to go anywhere anytime . we are headed to miami , the keys and cuba soon . then we have a trip to bermuda booked , a cruise to newfoundland , nova scotia, prince edwards and quebec city and a trip to new orleans all booked within the next 10 months .

we have been doing this kind of thing yearly since we got rid of the house .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City