Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times

Advertisements

Well we enjoyed our last visit, summer before last, so much we're going back for New Years. Any tips for Times Square other than don't go? Do you need tickets? Any other fun things to do. We plan to ice skate and see the tree and I would like to go to St. Patrick's since it was being renovated last time we were up. I am also wondering if we can squeeze in Wicked. We took our son last time so we saw the Lion King but this trip will be kid free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
The main tip that occurs to me would be: Don't drink anything. Because I'm guessing the bathroom situation is problematic.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
The main tip that occurs to me would be: Don't drink anything. Because I'm guessing the bathroom situation is problematic.
Good point! My husband doesn't mind porta potties but I'm not doing it.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:16 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
I have no idea if it's true, but I've heard people wear adult diapers to TS on New Years Eve.

Other holiday things: I love the Annual Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Look it up. If you drive, there's parking there. THere are miniature replicas of all the great NYC buildings and bridges, crafted from plant material. The detail is amazing.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
I have no idea if it's true, but I've heard people wear adult diapers to TS on New Years Eve.

Other holiday things: I love the Annual Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Look it up. If you drive, there's parking there.
Oh my husband would love that. Is it something we could take the subway to? We bought the 7 day unlimited subway cards last time we were up and never drove once.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
He'd love the diapers? Wait, this isn't that kind of forum.

If he loves trains, also see the Grand Central Station model train show.

More emphasis on model trains at Grand Central Station. More buildings/gentle lighting/architecture craftmanship at NY Botanic Gardens (closed Mondays and Christmas).

Here's directions from their website:

Getting Here | NYBG

Someone from the Bronx would know better if these are GOOD directions. Sounds like, after you exit the subway, you can either transfer to a bus (same ride, no additional fare if you transfer promptly and don't shop inbetween, etc) OR walk 20 minutes to the gate entrance.

I'm amused they say the walk is "downhill" which means it's uphill for your return.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-11-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:

Someone from the Bronx would know better if these are GOOD directions. Sounds like, after you exit the subway, you can either transfer to a bus (same ride, no additional fare if you transfer promptly and don't shop inbetween, etc) OR walk 20 minutes to the gate entrance..
You don't have to walk at all if you use the Metro North train, which was extremely easy. I followed the instructions on this Botanical Garden video (below) on how to buy the tickets, board the train, etc. and I found it very simple. I had only taken Metro North trains a few times before, and always with other people who knew what they were doing, so it wasn't like I had much more knowledge than a tourist would have. The ride on the train is really pleasant and fast and you can look out the window the whole way too.

I did go "off peak" though so maybe that's why it was such a pleasant ride. Also the off-peak tickets are cheaper than on peak. I think I spent $13 round trip for the Metro North train ticket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5E6sAmN3YI

Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
He'd love the diapers? Wait, this isn't that kind of forum.
I hope its not the forum I think you're thinking about.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
forget porta potty's , there are none . you can't leave the spot you are in or you are out .

Old 11-12-2015, 04:34 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Good point! My husband doesn't mind porta potties but I'm not doing it.
There are no porta potties. There is no way to use the bathroom at all at Times Square on New Year's Eve short of simply going in the middle of the crowd (and yes, you will see people doing this).

You'll show up in the afternoon, get fenced in by the NYPD, be standing for hours in extremely crowded conditions, unable to leave or even use the bathroom, all in potentially freezing weather.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: