Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times

Advertisements

hey fanny,

If you get 1199, take it. Nothing prevents you from continuing to search for another Mitchell-Lama if you find you don't like it. (Personally I like the looks of the place, it's large setback from the Avenue, the gatehouse security , good on-site grocery, and its probably terrific views to the East. Your only cost is the moving van.
So the neighborhood is a bit dicey...that is the status quo of most of New York and that neighborhood can only improve.
If I didn't have a terrific deal in a great neighborhood, I'd apply there.

I think turning down any Mitchell Lama offering is akin to throwing cash off the GWB.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-18-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,184,404 times
I noticed when I was applying for them that they don't have any rent ceiling. 30% of whatever you make no matter the unit it said on the application back then. This doesn't favor higher earning mitchell lama applicants. Also it said 6 months to a year for the apartment I was waiting for, and it's been at least a year and a half now and I never heard back from them. Honestly like the look of 1199. Windows and balconies are very big, and duplex apartments are always pretty cool.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:51 AM

[quote=BoogeyDownDweller;44106853]I noticed when I was applying for them that they don't have any rent ceiling. 30% of whatever you make no matter the unit it said on the application back then.[quote]

That is not correct. There is a rent (actually Maintenance) that is basically the same for all 1 bedroom apartments. IT may be 30% of SOME standard, like maybe area median income, but the Maintenance is not dependent on your income. If you are below the incoming income, you will pay the current tariff.
Yes, over the years, maintenance charges have increased, no surprise, so it has no bearing on the maintenance when you originally applied.

If however, you are in and have a good year (like over $100,000) you may be forced to pay a surcharge that tops out at a 50% surcharge. If you choose not to disclose your income you will be charged the 50% + $150 each month until you disclose.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:43 PM

[quote=Kefir King;44113436][quote=BoogeyDownDweller;44106853]I noticed when I was applying for them that they don't have any rent ceiling. 30% of whatever you make no matter the unit it said on the application back then.
Quote:

That is not correct. There is a rent (actually Maintenance) that is basically the same for all 1 bedroom apartments. IT may be 30% of SOME standard, like maybe area median income, but the Maintenance is not dependent on your income. If you are below the incoming income, you will pay the current tariff.
Yes, over the years, maintenance charges have increased, no surprise, so it has no bearing on the maintenance when you originally applied.

If however, you are in and have a good year (like over $100,000) you may be forced to pay a surcharge that tops out at a 50% surcharge. If you choose not to disclose your income you will be charged the 50% + $150 each month until you disclose.
Just got called on Friday, 1199 Plaza says they reached my number for a studio. The area of Harlem is probably much better than the area of the Bronx I'm in as far as quality of life, but I have a 1bdr and I don't know how I feel about a studio. They say I can do an internal transfer once I get in to a bigger apartment. I'm seriously considering it

Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 AM

Congratulations, but sorry on the studio,
Yes, you will be put on an internal list that gets dibs on newly vacant apartments before outsiders are called.

Don't put too much in the way of renovations into your studio because then you will hate to leave it all behind.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:29 PM

7,852 posts, read 7,743,051 times
[quote=BoogeyDownDweller;46249604][quote=Kefir King;44113436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I noticed when I was applying for them that they don't have any rent ceiling. 30% of whatever you make no matter the unit it said on the application back then.

Just got called on Friday, 1199 Plaza says they reached my number for a studio. The area of Harlem is probably much better than the area of the Bronx I'm in as far as quality of life, but I have a 1bdr and I don't know how I feel about a studio. They say I can do an internal transfer once I get in to a bigger apartment. I'm seriously considering it
What part of the BX are u in? 1199 and EH does have a better quality of life than the BX but not by much

Old 11-20-2016, 07:19 PM

[quote=HellUpInHarlem;46259059][quote=BoogeyDownDweller;46249604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

What part of the BX are u in? 1199 and EH does have a better quality of life than the BX but not by much
Gun Hill Rd./Williamsbridge area. 1199 interests me because it's right next to Jefferson Park, several blocks from Central Park and Lasker Rink. I can also walk to Wards Island if I want. Also lots of restaurants in the upper east side and Harlem, also 1199 has a recreation center with fitness room, yoga studio, Olympic swimming pool. Plus I can easily go to midtown and downtown in a way that's much harder where I am in the Bronx. Also Harlem has a lot more nightlife, bars, clubs etc... also organic grocery stores if I want (gourmet garage Whole Foods nearby) but also still has the cheap groceries stores like in the Bronx (aldi, target, key foods nearby$

I just don't know if I can really downsize from a 1 bedroom to a studio I have a lot of stuff because I got used to 1bdr I was hoping to get a bigger apartment in the next year or two not a smaller one. I have lived in studios in the past and they feel claustrophobic. When I applied though it was 2 years ago and I was down for whatever just to get affordable housing and they told me studio was the shirtless list in their development. Since the time I applied, I got affordable housing in the Bronx and better income and used to living in a bigger apartment. Still It is appealing to live in manhattan... quite a dilemma I've got on my hands.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:12 PM

33,333 posts, read 46,774,611 times
[quote=BoogeyDownDweller;46260693][quote=HellUpInHarlem;46259059]
Quote:

Gun Hill Rd./Williamsbridge area. 1199 interests me because it's right next to Jefferson Park, several blocks from Central Park and Lasker Rink. I can also walk to Wards Island if I want. Also lots of restaurants in the upper east side and Harlem, also 1199 has a recreation center with fitness room, yoga studio, Olympic swimming pool. Plus I can easily go to midtown and downtown in a way that's much harder where I am in the Bronx. Also Harlem has a lot more nightlife, bars, clubs etc... also organic grocery stores if I want (gourmet garage Whole Foods nearby) but also still has the cheap groceries stores like in the Bronx (aldi, target, key foods nearby$

I just don't know if I can really downsize from a 1 bedroom to a studio I have a lot of stuff because I got used to 1bdr I was hoping to get a bigger apartment in the next year or two not a smaller one. I have lived in studios in the past and they feel claustrophobic. When I applied though it was 2 years ago and I was down for whatever just to get affordable housing and they told me studio was the shirtless list in their development. Since the time I applied, I got affordable housing in the Bronx and better income and used to living in a bigger apartment. Still It is appealing to live in manhattan... quite a dilemma I've got on my hands.
ML is the cheapest option to own in the city. There should be no question - take it. You can walk home from the SAS in a month (hopefully). You can eat in West Harlem and Uber home.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 AM

7,852 posts, read 7,743,051 times
[quote=BoogeyDownDweller;46260693][quote=HellUpInHarlem;46259059]
Quote:

have you actually seen the studio they offered you?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 PM

[quote=SeventhFloor;46261217][quote=BoogeyDownDweller;46260693]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post

ML is the cheapest option to own in the city. There should be no question - take it. You can walk home from the SAS in a month (hopefully). You can eat in West Harlem and Uber home
Yes ordinarily this would be a no brainer, but I have an ML in the Bronx. I applied for both 1199 and my current building almost three years ago and have been living here for almost 2 years. I took this one in the Bronx because I figured I'd never get into anything in manhattan and I just wanted that cheap rent. HPD says I can transfer between MLs though. The dillema is do I abandon my ML 1 bedroom for a ML studio in a probably better area and then internally transferring into a 1bdr there? Or do I just stay here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery