Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I live in a gentrifying area and it pretty clear the black and hispanic kids fall behind in school due to lack of parents prioritizing their kids education. They are allowed to play and have fun all day (when they are out of school). While a white and asian kid would be at home studying or attending after school programs. I would avoid my kids going to a school with kids from the projects because I don't want them to be influence by the kids in the projects telling my kid it is acceptable to have fun and not study seriously. Having your child surrounded by overachievers in a competitive environment will help them understand how to handle adversities in life (when they become an adult).
The average white kid is not studying as much as you imply.

It's important that kids do their homework, but an elementary school kid's coursework does not require hours of studying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
I live in a gentrifying area and it pretty clear the black and hispanic kids fall behind in school due to lack of parents prioritizing their kids education. They are allowed to play and have fun all day (when they are out of school). While a white and asian kid would be at home studying or attending after school programs. I would avoid my kids going to a school with kids from the projects because I don't want them to be influence by the kids in the projects telling my kid it is acceptable to have fun and not study seriously. Having your child surrounded by overachievers in a competitive environment will help them understand how to handle adversities in life (when they become an adult).
Proof of these assumptions?

Not all whites or Asians do well in academia and the majority of those groups don't end up with advanced degrees or bachelors degrees even.

Actually when I went to Cornell some kids killed themselves (10 died that year). Putting kids into to extreme an environment is bad. Those parents used their kids as objects to advanced their social mobility (my kid has been perfect k-12, gotten acceptance letters from all these schools), etc.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Having your child surrounded by overachievers in a competitive environment will help them understand how to handle adversities in life

Or could flat out cause them to die of anxiety and social wannabeness. Actually, growing up in an an environment of nothing but overachievers with obnoxious helicopter parents teaches them NOTHING about adversity in life actually. nothing.

I don't know how I feel about this issue when it comes to schools since I'm not a breeder, but I do see how these issues affect where I live and it sucks a lot. Makes it very unappealing. No wonder gays don't even bother moving to this corny city anymore.
Quite true. I've known kids to die from this pressure. And to be honest a big part of moving up socioeconomically is FUNDING from your family. Does your family have money to pay for your college and/or grad school? Will you inherit money or property? Of course having money helps you get into the top schools.

Being around a diversity of people can let you know there's a diversity of lifestyle choices and careers. Also being around people of different cultures mean you can actually LEARN from other people.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:29 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Quite true. I've known kids to die from this pressure. And to be honest a big part of moving up socioeconomically is FUNDING from your family. Does your family have money to pay for your college and/or grad school? Will you inherit money or property? Of course having money helps you get into the top schools.
Total agreeance. The fact that most things in life always come down to money is really soul sucking for a lot of people. For many it makes them angry, for some depressed. For others it creates an internal drive that pushes them into bigger and better things. It's a crap shoot. We're only human, but when we are surrounded by the crush of humanity in a city this large and powerful it can be devastating and too complex for even the smartest of people to deconstruct. I also don't think we live in a rational society anymore, have we ever though? Me personally, I don't know where to go.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
That scenario is not the case in any of these schools.

So the true problem you have is your kids might have to go to school with significant number of minority kids.
That scenario is the exact scenario in schools of gentrified areas and will be for those schools in areas on the fringe of gentrification. And they're trying to immunize themselves from whitegitis.

To the extent that you're implying that all minorities do bad in school, yes I would want to keep my kids away from the same environment that I grew up in or else why work so hard in life? And I don't have a problem with my kids going to school with minorities in fact my local zoned elementary is close to 70% minority and is among the top performing schools in NY state. And mind you close to 40% get subsidized lunches as well so I'm not living amongst all educated well off people. So a significant number of minority kids is not an issue, but a significant number of failing kids no matter the skin color or social economic background I do have an issue.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 11-22-2015 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
I live in a gentrifying area and it pretty clear the black and hispanic kids fall behind in school due to lack of parents prioritizing their kids education. ).

This is the problem. You move to a POOR area, and then racially stigmatize all those who live there. Are these kids failing because they are black and Hispanic, or because their parents are poor, and so cannot/do not offer the same enriching environment that more affluent kids might?

I see loads of black parents on the subway going through various educational exercises with their kids. These parents happen to be middle class. So they are capable of helping. They understand the importance of helping. And they have a vision for their kids which suggests that the kids should aspire to be at least as successful as their parents are.

Why do you move to a poor area and then rant that the kids are under performing? Didn't you know this before you moved?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Proof of these assumptions?
Just my general observation from living in NYC. If your looking for statistics I would use the entrance exams for gifted and talented program has a over-representation of asian and white kids compared to the general population of NYC. White and Asian parents are more likely to know how to game the system making the kids come to the tests better prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I also don't think we live in a rational society anymore, have we ever though? Me personally, I don't know where to go.
I would add that I view the hispanic and black kids in my neighborhood as well behaved and good people. There no correct way to raising kids. However, NYC is evolving into a place where only white collar professionals can live comfortably, the barrier to a decent paying job has become a college degree (that might not even be enough given the raising cost of college tuition). So I view pushing your kids education as a necessity despite the negative drawbacks that can come if you reach to far into the extremes.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yet black kids on college campuses are protesting against racial slights. You do know that these kids from the same middle class families that you claim to have no problems with.

There are issues of class, but RACE remains an issue, IRRESPECTIVE of class.
The things that some of them are protesting about and demanding can't be resolved. One of their top demands is that they want the professors' racial makeup to reflect the students using explicit quotas, which may not even be possible even with affirmative action on staff recruitment not to mention that non-black professors whom are educated and resourceful will sue and win. And there already is a priority to hire non-white/asian professors in many schools.

I think there are similar demands in NYC schools which may make sense for the lower grades if it makes the little kids feel more comfortable. Teachers as well as all administrative staff affirmative action in all NYC schools in lower grades merits a study on its effectiveness. Though from my own personal experience growing up in a 90%+ non-white area, the first non-white teacher I had was probably in high school and it didn't bother me one bit.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 11-22-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
This is the problem. You move to a POOR area, and then racially stigmatize all those who live there. Are these kids failing because they are black and Hispanic, or because their parents are poor, and so cannot/do not offer the same enriching environment that more affluent kids might?
Outside of the people who live in the projects most don't view themselves as poor. Most are rather affluent given how much their property value has rising since they bought their property in the 90's or earlier. However, just because their parents made it in NYC while working blue collar jobs (with only having a high school degree) doesn't mean their kids will be able to replicate their parents success following the same path (especially with the increasing cost of living).

Quote:
Why do you move to a poor area and then rant that the kids are under performing? Didn't you know this before you moved?
You live where you can afford. I don't live in a poor area per say, it is a safe middle class neighborhood that is gentrifying (has a short commute to Manhattan).

Old 11-22-2015, 03:30 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
The things that some of them are protesting about and demanding can't be resolved. One of their top demands is that they want the professors' racial makeup to reflect the students using explicit quotas, which may not even be possible even with affirmative action on staff recruitment not to mention that non-black professors whom are educated and resourceful will sue and win. And there already is a priority to hire non-white/asian professors in many schools.

I think there are similar demands in NYC schools which may make sense for the lower grades if it makes the little kids feel more comfortable. Teachers as well as all administrative staff affirmative action in all NYC schools in lower grades merits a study on its effectiveness.

The reason why they want to see more diversity in leadership and at the faculty level is that they have experienced the white leadership and faculty being completely unwilling to acknowledge their concerns.

On what planet does one think that your average 18 year old, in an environment which is insensitive to him, can cope with an endless parade of insiders (rich white kids) mocking who he is?

Would it be free speech if one year the frats decided to mock Hasidic Jews, or the blacks decided to wear slave master costumes, while cracking the whip on fellow black students?

Free speech is one thing. Open and unrestricted ridicule is another, and this is why the students, in trying to find a solution, think that having more black leadership figures would reduce the problem.

I suggest that white men sometimes try to understand that 2/3 of the USA aren't white men, and the world which we experience might on occasion be different from what they experience. They should start by acknowledging that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City