Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:47 PM

539 posts, read 523,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
There is a stop on the LGA-bound M60 - 23rd Avenue/82nd Street which doesn't have a machine. I use that stop occasionally and if I were to get inspected after getting on at it I would definitely be pissed off and raise a fuss about being fined when it was impossible for me to follow the rules. If, on the other hand, I had used another stop and had gotten on the bus in a hurry, as has happened, or I just didn't want to pay, as has also happened, that would be theft and I would just move on an pay my fine. There's nothing unfair about it.
The only unfair thing I see is that its not well advertised IMO that you need to get a ticket. Since its going to the airport a lot of riders do not have experience on it. I know that when you wait for the M60 after flying back into New York at LGA plenty of people will stand there and not grab a ticket until the last minute when they see other people doing it (because they didn't know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 11:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
In truth, it IS a bit of a tourist trap, so I have a little sympathy for those who truly don't know. I have swiped my card into a Select machine only to get NO receipt, several times. I sat very nervously 'til my stop. "But officer..."

I was pissed off when I jumped on an X15 bus to go a couple blocks, while living in Jersey, and saw a $5 charge (a while ago.) Perhaps a little standidardization(??) might not go amiss. Do they realize both Bronx buses and Express buses have a defining X.

Lesson learned, tread carefully.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-27-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In truth, it IS a bit of a tourist trap, so I have a little sympathy for those who truly don't know.
I usually look at the people around waiting for the bus and say, you know a paper ticket from that machine if I notice them not holding one. I try to help the tourists when I can but sometimes you can't.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 PM

213 posts, read 227,833 times
When they were doing construction this summer on 125th St in Harlem, the SBS machines at St. Nicholas (by the A/B/C/D station) were all out.

I was taking the M60 to the airport, and I and a bunch of people were told to get off the bus at the next stop to run our cards through the machines there.

I wondered what would happen if the cops got on at that point to do the ticket inspection. I've seen them do it a couple of times on the M60 within the past few months.

But for the OP's case, did you try to pay your fare as normal? Presumably if you did that, you would have discovered that you can't, and the driver would have directed you to get the receipt from the machine. Or did you just follow a mass of people on through the middle doors and think you didn't have to pay?

Last edited by Slate Moonstone; 11-27-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I usually look at the people around waiting for the bus and say, you know a paper ticket from that machine if I notice them not holding one. I try to help the tourists when I can but sometimes you can't.

That's very nice of you LSINYC. Once in a while someone will snap at you with an FU, but that's life.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
That's very nice of you LSINYC. Once in a while someone will snap at you with an FU, but that's life.
It's true. I've been told mind my business before but then shortly after the woman ran to the machine to get a paper ticket as the bus was approaching. I gather she looked around and saw people with the paper ticket and realized oh I must actually need one of those like the woman said.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:23 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvlpsh View Post
Yeah. It was i told too. But i still thinking this is unfair and thougth its a real way to dispute the ticket.
I agree; it doesn't seem fair in my book. Still, I don't think there's much you can do. The officer was in the right, legally-speaking, when he ticketed you. However, a judge/magistrate couldn't just set the ticket aside because you didn't know or because it seemed "unfair."

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM

Yesterday,
First time ever an inspector checked my receipt. It was the Southbound SB15 coming home from ALDI's.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:45 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
So, did you attempt to swipe your card with the driver, like you do on non-Select buses?
This is what I was going to ask.

OP: When you got on the bus, did you try to swipe your card as you normally would? If so, didn't you noticce you can't and/or didn't the bus driver say something to you?

If not, did you think the bus was free!?

Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM

484 posts, read 561,055 times
Quote:
Yesterday,
First time ever an inspector checked my receipt. It was the Southbound SB15 coming home from ALDI's.
I've been stopped several times:

1. First Avenue, getting off at Bellevue Hospital
2. Fordham Road, close to the Grand Concourse
3. Webster Avenue at 149th St.
4. 125th Street and Lenox Avenue

The city is actively checking to make sure people are using the machines, get a ticket and put it somewhere where you can easily find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City