Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is James and i applied for my NY state real estate salesperson license back in 2010. As with following the rules, I found a sponsoring broker and long story short, they let me conduct real estate transactions (rather successfully too, I was quickly becoming really good at what I was doing) without actually receiving the physical license. The sponsoring broker knew and informed me that it was ok being that the license was on its way anyway. Finally after many successful deals the department of state contacted the broker inquiring about it's activities and found out about me and proceeded to deny my real estate salesperson license. The broker was asked by the DOS to give them all documents and or records of all transactions that occurred within a certain time, but the broker refused to do it, and told me not to do anything. Soon after that I was told by the DOS not to conduct any real estate work. So I had left for a while because I needed some source of income. So in 2014 I decided to go back, and I called the DOS and let them know of the situation and what happened, and I was told that all I have to do is pass the state exam again and then find another sponsoring broker which I did. This time I hadn't conducted any real estate transactions while waiting for the license to come, but then after about 10 weeks of waiting I was contacted by the DOS enforcer inquiring about what had happened in 2010 via a formal letter. After giving him what he wanted to the best of my ability and remembrance of what happened in 2010, I was denied my license. My question is, is there any way that I can reapply for the license? If so how long does it have to be before that can happen? I feel like I was used by that broker in 2010 and ended up being punished while they got away with wrong doing while I got denied entry into this field. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,198 times
Did you pass the exam or not?

It's not very difficult.

Seems to me like you never took the exam and just thought you could go about selling properties without a license.

NYS requires a license for pretty much everything.

You can't even join MLS without a NYS License number.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:03 AM

yes i passed the exam twice...first time back in 2010 then again in 2014.....so i did the next step which was found a sponsoring broker who my license would be issued under....normally it takes up to 6 weeks....i waited 10 weeks only to have a formal letter sent to me saying I was to produce documents, records and all information pertaining to 2010. I did that. After that they denied me the license. What I'm trying to find out is if there is any way to get a license after all that happened...take the test again, appeal somehow, maybe even wait out a probationary period if there is one? I keep trying to find out but no one is giving me a clear answer. And I wasn't yet on the MLS since I was just dealing with apartments at the time, but I was on the OLR nyc, and almost joined REBNY but that happened.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjuggernaut View Post
yes i passed the exam twice...first time back in 2010 then again in 2014.....so i did the next step which was found a sponsoring broker who my license would be issued under....normally it takes up to 6 weeks....i waited 10 weeks only to have a formal letter sent to me saying I was to produce documents, records and all information pertaining to 2010. I did that. After that they denied me the license. What I'm trying to find out is if there is any way to get a license after all that happened...take the test again, appeal somehow, maybe even wait out a probationary period if there is one? I keep trying to find out but no one is giving me a clear answer. And I wasn't yet on the MLS since I was just dealing with apartments at the time, but I was on the OLR nyc, and almost joined REBNY but that happened.
You're gonna have to fight your way through the bureaucracy. Have you gone to a state office in person?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:42 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You're gonna have to fight your way through the bureaucracy. Have you gone to a state office in person?

agreed. head down to 123 William Street, bring all your documents with you and see what they say exactly. maybe you could file an appeal of some sort.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
agreed. head down to 123 William Street, bring all your documents with you and see what they say exactly. maybe you could file an appeal of some sort.
Unfortunately, Dept of Licensing is up in Albany, so going downtown won't help the OP.

There's something fishy about the OP's story.. I'm a licensed broker in NYC and if you passed the exam and obtained a sponsoring broker, you should have received your license waaaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier than 6-10 weeks. It just doesn't take that long for DOS to issue you a license number; now, getting your pocket card, which is the actual physical license, does take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but generally most peeps receive in far less time.

That being said, the fact that your broker refused to turn over documents to the DOS upon request definitely indicates something far shadier at play... are you sure your broker was even an actual broker that was licensed and registered with the state?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:53 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
There's something fishy about the OP's story.. I'm a licensed broker in NYC and if you passed the exam and obtained a sponsoring broker, you should have received your license waaaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier than 6-10 weeks. It just doesn't take that long for DOS to issue you a license number; now, getting your pocket card, which is the actual physical license, does take anywhere from 2-4 weeks, but generally most peeps receive in far less time.

That being said, the fact that your broker refused to turn over documents to the DOS upon request definitely indicates something far shadier at play... are you sure your broker was even an actual broker that was licensed and registered with the state?
I agree.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 PM

According to the broker I D I was given to use for the sponsoring part, it seemed legit enough....plus the I D comes up in the DOS registry, so yea they definitely seem legit, but was just conducting sleazy business.....the whole thing I wanted to do was find a way to appeal without having to use a lawyer because at the moment i cannot afford one. I also contacted the office at William street and they implied that it would be better to go through Albany. By the way the first time back in 2010, I contacted the DOS after waiting six weeks for the license and the person whom I spoke to said that the Licensing department was experiencing delays and that it should be on its way. I did this in the presence of the manager (being he was standing right next to me and the phone was on speaker)....after that he said dont worry about it just go get deals....and I did being new to thinking it was ok or normal.....for some reason, in hindsight, it seems like the DOS was keeping an eye on this broker and was waiting for them to do something wrong, and I just happen to be at the wrong broker at the wrong time, which is why I think its not fair and should at least be given a fair hearing or something of the sort.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:25 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjuggernaut View Post
According to the broker I D I was given to use for the sponsoring part, it seemed legit enough....plus the I D comes up in the DOS registry, so yea they definitely seem legit, but was just conducting sleazy business.....the whole thing I wanted to do was find a way to appeal without having to use a lawyer because at the moment i cannot afford one. I also contacted the office at William street and they implied that it would be better to go through Albany. By the way the first time back in 2010, I contacted the DOS after waiting six weeks for the license and the person whom I spoke to said that the Licensing department was experiencing delays and that it should be on its way. I did this in the presence of the manager (being he was standing right next to me and the phone was on speaker)....after that he said dont worry about it just go get deals....and I did being new to thinking it was ok or normal.....for some reason, in hindsight, it seems like the DOS was keeping an eye on this broker and was waiting for them to do something wrong, and I just happen to be at the wrong broker at the wrong time, which is why I think its not fair and should at least be given a fair hearing or something of the sort.
So, just to clarify: when all this originally went down, did you or did you not receive a license number from DOS upon passing the state exam and being sponsored by your broker? So long as you had your license number when you conducted deals, you should have been in the clear. Now, if you conducted deals without having your license number, that's illegal and would explain why you're being denied your license and most likely will always have your license denied).

Unfortunately, it sounds like your broker was a shady one, especially in light of the fact that you stated in an earlier post you didn't join REBNY; virtually all the major reputable firms in the city require you to be a member of REBNY in order to work for them, so that, in itself, is a major red flag for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: