Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:24 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,598,472 times

Advertisements

Webster Hall still hosts concerts when bands want a smaller venue. We saw Muse there back in May. Granted, they make sure the concerts are over by 10 or 10:30 so that they can set up after to open as a nightclub. One thing I never understood is why back in the day the hip hop / reggae room was the tiny one downstairs, and thus was packed. Meantime, the club music was upstairs, and was never that crowded.

As for Pacha, meh. I was there once 4 years ago and it was maybe half packed. Nothing to write home about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,967,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am surprised Webster Hall is still open at all. But then again whenever am down that way late/overnight hours and see the crowd place draws guess they do what they have to do in order to make rent.

Era of large NYC clubs began to die off in the wake of the whole "Limelight murder" and subsequent crackdown on the numerous ills (drugs, sexual abuse, etc...) that supposedly went on in or around such places.

Truth to tell things started changing when the whole intimate "bottle bar" or club model was imported from Europe. Places like Life and other smaller spaces began to attract the "rich and famous" along with anyone else who wanted to run with the club set. One by one the large spaces either closed of their own will or were shut down by the city; Palladium (now a NYU dorm), Roxy, Limelight, etc... all vanished.

The passing and strict enforcement of NYC's nuisance abatement laws made things too hot and or expensive for club owners/promoters. Again seeing now the federal and local LE went after Peter Gatien and others gave some reason to move on.

Finally you started to have gentrification in many of the industrial/commercial areas where these clubs once thrived. Chelsea, Tribeca, Far West Side, SoHo, East Village, West Village started to become seriously residential. Those living in these areas were not very tolerant of the noise and other things clubs attracted and complained, a lot.

I remember going to clubs west of say 7th or 8th or down below Houston street where you had to walk blocks to find a taxi afterwards to get home. The places were just that desolate after working hours and on weekends. You walk around and some of the spots are still there such as Paradise Garage. That building went back to what it was built for in the first place; it is a garage for Verizon.
Another problem for night clubs were fire codes such as having a backdoor, fire exit and double swinging doors. Violation after, violation lead clubs to close as well. Anyone into mega clubs should go get a plane ticket to checkout Miami, Las Vegas, or head over seas to ibiza Spain or Santorini Greece.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:32 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,401,911 times
Bring back Sound Factory !

Old 12-01-2015, 04:38 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,029,460 times
Let's all meet up and shake our booties!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPVHoD__6CI

Old 12-01-2015, 06:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,185,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Webster Hall still hosts concerts when bands want a smaller venue. We saw Muse there back in May. Granted, they make sure the concerts are over by 10 or 10:30 so that they can set up after to open as a nightclub. One thing I never understood is why back in the day the hip hop / reggae room was the tiny one downstairs, and thus was packed. Meantime, the club music was upstairs, and was never that crowded.

As for Pacha, meh. I was there once 4 years ago and it was maybe half packed. Nothing to write home about.
I remember Pacha being kind of a hot spot around 03-04. I went once though and hated it. I was never a big club guy. Lounges are okay.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,560,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I was never a club person, even though I have been to some when I was younger.

Paying to get in, people telling you what to wear (dress code), super loud music, expensive drinks...

I can dress how I want in my house and invite friends over and play what I want for a fraction of the price.

For single people, IMO it's not the type of environment if you're looking to meet anybody of substance.

There's always exceptions to the rule, but the chances are pretty low.
It's just part of being an idiot 20-something, which is the target demographic. Once you get even slightly old enough to see what's what you start to realize how juvenile and stupid most of these places are. I used to be a real night life guy but I haven't gone near any place that charges a cover in quite some time. And places that grossly overcharge for drinks aren't super high on my list these days either. (Depends on the context)

Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,960,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wanna build a club on the Queens shore front facing Manahttan. I want to name it Gatsby which will have a green buoy light at the top of the club illuminating its way to Manhattan. In order to get in, one must have a valid NYS ID. Any other ID folks are barred from entering. There will be 3 different dance floors, one will be a Latin/Caribbean floor, playing sounds from Cuba to Trinidad and everything in between. The 2nd floor will be the hip hop and dub floor. The last floor or the main floor will be strictly EDC.
You were doing fine until the main floor as EDC. I can't picture all the breds fighting through all the fratty yuppies to get to their ethnic roots

Old 12-01-2015, 03:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,570,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Bring back Sound Factory !
I can accept bringing back the Tunnel if Danny and Junior are around.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,570,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You were doing fine until the main floor as EDC. I can't picture all the breds fighting through all the fratty yuppies to get to their ethnic roots
Sometimes I can't tell if I am in NYC anymore, it feels like a big cruise ship.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM

31,944 posts, read 34,489,929 times
Quote:
I can dress how I want in my house and invite friends over and play what I want for a fraction of the price.
But the whole point is to go somewhere to see and dance with new women. Not the same group of friends you've been knowing for years.

Quote:
For single people, IMO it's not the type of environment if you're looking to meet anybody of substance.
Not about substance. It's strictly about fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City