Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:11 AM

86 posts, read 119,666 times

Advertisements

It depends Where in Jamaica you are looking to move to. Jamaica avenue is disgusting (that's where you have all the stores at). The higher up in street numbers you go in jamaica, the more decent the area is. Try to stay by the "f" train on 169 or 179 street on hillside avenue and go up from there. Those are nicer areas where you won't be bothered because it's closer to Jamaica estates. Be careful of shifty property owners around there too because in a few of those apartment buildings, they will lie to you and rip you off so just be cautious. Also, stay away from jamaica avenue (where the shops are) at all costs, those people there are very shifty people. Other than that, you should be ok in jamaica. Also, stay out of South jamaica. ....it's not a good area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 12:10 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
If you are guaranteed a $20k raise in a couple of months, go with that one. I would only go with the Manhattan job (lower salary) if it provided great exit opportunities in the future. It's kinda like public accounting: many people in my field suck it up at a Big 4/national accounting firm, work like slaves and are grossly underpaid, but the experience is indispensable and translates to big $$$$$ later.
I would not take a job assuming that I am "guaranteed" a $20K raise in a few months, no matter what they say during the interview/hiring process.

When you start a new job (at least in the social work field) you will be on probation for either 3 or 6 months.
On probation means you will not have health insurance or other benefits and you are not guaranteed a job. It's a trial period.

Only after the trial period is the job at all secure (and that varies as well).

I wouldn't start thinking about promotions or $20K raises at this point.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:51 PM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc62683 View Post
It depends Where in Jamaica you are looking to move to. Jamaica avenue is disgusting (that's where you have all the stores at). The higher up in street numbers you go in jamaica, the more decent the area is. Try to stay by the "f" train on 169 or 179 street on hillside avenue and go up from there. Those are nicer areas where you won't be bothered because it's closer to Jamaica estates. Be careful of shifty property owners around there too because in a few of those apartment buildings, they will lie to you and rip you off so just be cautious. Also, stay away from jamaica avenue (where the shops are) at all costs, those people there are very shifty people. Other than that, you should be ok in jamaica. Also, stay out of South jamaica. ....it's not a good area!
She's not moving to Jamaica, just considering a job there. Read more carefully.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:46 PM

204 posts, read 291,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I would not take a job assuming that I am "guaranteed" a $20K raise in a few months, no matter what they say during the interview/hiring process.

When you start a new job (at least in the social work field) you will be on probation for either 3 or 6 months.
On probation means you will not have health insurance or other benefits and you are not guaranteed a job. It's a trial period.

Only after the trial period is the job at all secure (and that varies as well).

I wouldn't start thinking about promotions or $20K raises at this point.
She said that the goal is for me to take her role once she gets her promotion in the next few months. She's been very open with me because she knows I'm taking a hit financially for this job, and they really like me. Benefits and insurance starts after 60 days as well. I'm not worried about losing the job, the salary jump is not guaranteed, but the job definitely is. Believe me, I have the experience (I'm not new to the social work field) or right out of school, I run a program now in Florida and she understands that's what my career goal is in NYC as well. I'm not coming in seeing clients, I'll be working under the program director as the clinical supervisor.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
If you are guaranteed a $20k raise in a couple of months, go with that one. I would only go with the Manhattan job (lower salary) if it provided great exit opportunities in the future. It's kinda like public accounting: many people in my field suck it up at a Big 4/national accounting firm, work like slaves and are grossly underpaid, but the experience is indispensable and translates to big $$$$$ later.
I didn't even think about that, but you're right. My long term goal is to run the program, and I believe that would happen with this smaller company compared to the bigger one. I've worked in both large and small companies, and really thinking about it... there's more room to grow in a smaller office than a large one.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
She said that the goal is for me to take her role once she gets her promotion in the next few months. She's been very open with me because she knows I'm taking a hit financially for this job, and they really like me. Benefits and insurance starts after 60 days as well. I'm not worried about losing the job, the salary jump is not guaranteed, but the job definitely is. Believe me, I have the experience (I'm not new to the social work field) or right out of school, I run a program now in Florida and she understands that's what my career goal is in NYC as well. I'm not coming in seeing clients, I'll be working under the program director as the clinical supervisor.
Just be careful.
The social work field/work environment/management in NYC is rough!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Just be careful.
The social work field/work environment/management in NYC is rough!
Of course, any job is.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Of course, any job is.
In other fields, I have never seen what I've seen in social work.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
In other fields, I have never seen what I've seen in social work.
How so? I've only ever worked in South Florida so I'm curious to hear how different it is in NYC.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
How so? I've only ever worked in South Florida so I'm curious to hear how different it is in NYC.
In social work jobs in NYC I've seen many dysfunctional social work organizations, very unstable workplaces, people getting hired and fired constantly/turnover (workers and management alike). I could go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: