Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:52 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I thought it was the lower East side?
Where I live ? No, I did live most of my life before here in now-called Noho, which isn't the LES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Just has the highest crime rate in the city, so it seems to have worked out well.
Exactly.

I should add - when thinking about what could happen it also depends where you mean in Harlem. Central will be a long, long time in many places in spite of the aggressive emperor's-new-clothes thing that is making investors a lot of money.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You live up there don't you? You tell me.
Columbia has made a huge expansion in West Harlem. 17 acres. From 125th Street to 133 Street (between Hudson River and Broadway) they purchased for an expansion for their new campus. City College in Fall 2016 opens up it's medical school. Oh they are right across the street from both Morningside and Manhattanville projects.

I'd say Central Harlem varies. There are certainly hoody parts to it, but it depends on where in Central Harlem. Around 125th Street I'd say it's already gentrifying (Whole Foods is there). Go up in the 130s and it is pretty hood.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:02 PM

Just to enlighten things around the breathtaking grasp of wikipedia-level nothing.

The Columbia expansion is not yet completed. The first building, and one only, will open in the fall. The exhaustively-published and very well-known configuration of the expansion area has been brilliantly summarized above.

Oh and neither is right across the street from Morningside Park (presumably ?) - which is a different area altogether - and the City College Medical School is in collaboration with St. Barnabas in the Bronx. Go Bronx ! Nowhere near Morningside or the Manhattanville NYCHA.

City College is building other things, oddly no mention in the "creative" recounting, alas none are "right across the street" from the Manhattanville NYCHA campus or anywhere near Morningside Park. A Morningside NYCHA does not exist. Perhaps this person means St. Nicholas, Randolph, FD - none of which, however, are near the Columbia expansion or City College Medical School.

Whole Foods has not yet opened and only a true visionary, seriously, could attest to it being "there."

We could all "go up in the 130s" but this would likely take hours given the size and diversity of the area.

There are three other major projects in Manhattanville, far more significant in the near future. As residents are fully aware.

Finally ... where is "around 125th Street," anyway ? Where it's "already gentrifying."
I mean, exactly.

By the way, I actually live in the area. It's not just, you know, "virtual."

Last edited by Harlem resident; 12-06-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 08:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Just to enlighten things around the breathtaking grasp of wikipedia-level nothing.

The Columbia expansion is not yet completed. The first building, and one only, will open in the fall. The exhaustively-published and very well-known configuration of the expansion area has been brilliantly summarized above.

Oh and neither is right across the street from Morningside Park (presumably ?) - which is a different area altogether - and the City College Medical School is in collaboration with St. Barnabas in the Bronx. Go Bronx ! Nowhere near Morningside or the Manhattanville NYCHA.

City College is building other things, oddly no mention in the "creative" recounting, alas none are "right across the street" from the Manhattanville NYCHA campus or anywhere near Morningside Park. A Morningside NYCHA does not exist. Perhaps this person means St. Nicholas, Randolph, FD - none of which, however, are near the Columbia expansion or City College Medical School.

Whole Foods has not yet opened and only a true visionary, seriously, could attest to it being "there."

We could all "go up in the 130s" but this would likely take hours given the size and diversity of the area.

There are three other major projects in Manhattanville, far more significant in the near future. As residents are fully aware.

Finally ... where is "around 125th Street," anyway ? Where it's "already gentrifying."
I mean, exactly.

By the way, I actually live in the area. It's not just, you know, "virtual."
Do you think people really care Harlem? Stop being so petty and act like an adult.

Next to the biological sciences building is another building which seems to be nearly done as well. The next block over is one empty site.

A couple of buildings in the Manhattanville complex Columbia will keep (gut renovation).

Columbia pretty much owns all of Manhattanville. The consequences for this are already manifesting in the neighborhood and will continue to manifest in the neighborhood.

As for Whole Foods not being open yet, irrelevant. The fact that it's opening next year means that realtors can already use this when they advertise Harlem properties.

Around 125th Street, Harlem, as opposed to 20 years ago has a number of name brand retailers and bank branches. Those additional amenities are used to promote the neighborhood, as is the Whole Foods store nearing completion. As is Columbia's expansion on the West Side.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Do you think people really care Harlem? Stop being so petty and act like an adult.

Next to the biological sciences building is another building which seems to be nearly done as well. The next block over is one empty site.

A couple of buildings in the Manhattanville complex Columbia will keep (gut renovation).

Columbia pretty much owns all of Manhattanville. The consequences for this are already manifesting in the neighborhood and will continue to manifest in the neighborhood.

As for Whole Foods not being open yet, irrelevant. The fact that it's opening next year means that realtors can already use this when they advertise Harlem properties.

Around 125th Street, Harlem, as opposed to 20 years ago has a number of name brand retailers and bank branches. Those additional amenities are used to promote the neighborhood, as is the Whole Foods store nearing completion. As is Columbia's expansion on the West Side.

Parts of this is actually absurd, surpassing not-quite-right. This is what no experience and many google searches can obtain.

For anyone else, Columbia does not "pretty much own all of Manhattanville."
Nor would they want to. Theirs is one project among many others.

Gee, wonder what the "additional amenities" on 125th might be ... Oh, I forgot. Planet Fitness and Joe's Crab Shack. Wait ! Red Lobster. Yeah. Good stuff. The 'hood fashion shop where M & G once stood. Four dollar stores.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:57 PM

For anyone else - major construction on a big project officially started today ...

Probably what will be one of the most meaningful in a long time.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
If I remember correctly, the subject was resistance to De Blasio's zoning proposals from local community boards, and the program framed this resistance in terms of gentrification. Diaz made the comment after a call from a resident of the South Bronx, who was very upset about gentrification in general.

Diaz must know that what he said isn't true - there is gentrification in the Bronx. But at the same time, there aren't rich people moving into these Bronx neighborhoods. Maybe they are higher income than current residents, and maybe they were raised outside of NYC, but generally, they are looking for a deal, not trust fund hippies. They are not the threat that they are perceived to be in my opinion.

That isn't to say that prices have not gone up - they have! And cost of living has gotten more expensive for the middle and working class, and De Blasio really doesn't seem to care. For homeowners, the cost of water keeps rising an our property tax rate keeps going up. These costs are passed on to renters. I also think that Section 8 rates help to drive up rents for everyone. My point is that there is a lot that can be done to improve affordability.

I'm not a proponent of gentrification, but the fear of it can become a huge distraction. Gentrification is not the only reason that community boards are going against the zoning proposals. Rezoned corridors in working class neighborhoods get extreme pressure to fill up the new areas with supportive housing. De Blasio's focus is the abjectly poor (as Shizzles pointed out in another thread), and also the rich, who want to make sure that the poor go as far away from them as possible. The Bronx is the last frontier for many middle class who have been priced out everywhere else in the city. It should not become a dumping ground - period. At the moment, this is a much bigger threat to the Bronx than gentrification.
I didn't see anyone else respond to this -- but I think that you are absolutely right. I've been reading more about this "affordable housing" stuff in the BX and it does certainly look like there's a development fairly close to me that is being protested. I'm NIMBY bells, NIMBY bells, NIMBY all the way -- and you're right -- there are worse threats than gentrification -- (which I'm not really against, btw) -- but someone does have to look out for the potential to make the BX a dumping ground.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
DeBlasio can't care if the cost of living goes up in the Bronx. It's inevitable. I don't know why residents just don't seem to grasp the reality.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 9,785 times
Brooklyn waterfront near Williamburg used to be CRACK CENTRAL, Murder Central, ***** Central, you name it.
Now its like Dinseyworld and you cant afford to live there.
Bronx is really nice is some spots but the bad section will do what happened here and get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City