Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think you're right. East NY has already come up twice in discussions I've had in the past two weeks with people who could end up being harbingers of gentrification. (One has already moved there.) Also in this Crain's article about the first artists to Bushwick now being pushed out, the artist mentions Brownsville. He doesn't actually say he's going to move there, but he does throw the word around. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-to-hold-their
Only one part of the Bronx appears to be gentrifying. I think that one part ie Mott haven will gentrify sooner than ENY. ENY is a big spread out area by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 04:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Another point I want to make is that with Brooklyn booming, Manhattan is not everyone's center anymore. If you work, eat, and play in Brooklyn all of a sudden ENY is not that far.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
I'm going to be real here. WHole parts of the city will never see gentrification. Queens is not covered well by the subway, as well as being very suburban, along with it being a middle class borough. Most of the gentrification is regulated into Western Queens with some spill over in immediate areas.

Brooklyn is also a big borough. It has some crime ridden neighborhoods like East NY and Brownsville. Brooklyn also has far flung middle class neighborhoods that takes a long time to get to job centers of Downtown Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan.

Bronx can not gentrify fully due to its distance from Manhattan downtown Manhattan, except for South Bronx, as well as some parts being very middle class and suburban. Bronx is also not a job center or a job hub.

Staten Island, wont gentrify except immediate areas of the Ferry Landing at St George. No subway connection, its also very suburban and with a huge middle class base.

If NYC was a smaller city, I guarantee everyone on here will be priced out and displaced by now.

The only part of the Bronx experiencing gentrification is Port Morris area, with Mott Haven getting spill over. In the morning while going to work, I see some white folks jogging in the area, and minorities with expensive jogging gear. I have seen one guy jog through the projects the other day. I was amazed. Melrose area is getting some attention as well as the Yankee Stadium area which is home to plenty of professionals who live in Coop Apartments. There is lots of potential in the areas south of 167 street in the South Bronx. I'm afraid other parts of the South Bronx may get left behind and still remain epicenters of crime and poverty.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Then again a lot of people in the 80s probably would have doubted parts of Manhattan below 96th Street could gentrify.

Obviously ENY isn't going to be a desirable neighborhood in the next year but over the next couple of decades maybe it will gentrify.

As far as the Bronx goes, I recall when much of Brooklyn was wasteland. If the government gives out the right tax credits to corporations and developers the Bronx can indeed gentrify. You have the early phases in the South Bronx already.
Most of the Bronx and Brooklyn wont see gentrification until the middle of this century. Manhattan business sector needs to expand northbound in order for the Bronx to increase gentrification potential. In order for ENY to get any gentrification, Crown Heights, and Brownsville must fully gentrify.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:23 PM

43 posts, read 102,313 times
We certainly need gentrification in the borough. While we stayed put by choice, Public School was NOT an option for us growing up and most of our Dining and Shopping was done downtown as Fordham had already begun to cater to the Medicaid crowd long ago... However I do go up for a bargain occasionally and it has improved! The cavernous lobbies and apartments of the Grand Concourse were NEVER designed to house the poor. We need more affluent people here that can increase the chances of us getting sidewalk cafe's, (good and selective) neighborhood bars, marketplaces and lovely shops that are not some run of the mill chain.... Starbucks and Chipolte are a step up but we need real quality. Otherwise I am happy and have a lovely apartment as well as 24 hour conveniences that surround me. The Dominican food is very good in my area and the Chinese is alright but if I want decent Italian, I have to order from Giovanni's or a few places on Arthur Avenue where management knows me and will come this far to bring me my dinner... This influx of affluence can bring poorer residents side work as handy men, maids, nanny's, employment in businesses that offer higher wages and have clients who tip as well as business opportunities...

Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm going to be real here. WHole parts of the city will never see gentrification. Queens is not covered well by the subway, as well as being very suburban, along with it being a middle class borough. Most of the gentrification is regulated into Western Queens with some spill over in immediate areas.

Brooklyn is also a big borough. It has some crime ridden neighborhoods like East NY and Brownsville. Brooklyn also has far flung middle class neighborhoods that takes a long time to get to job centers of Downtown Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan.

Bronx can not gentrify fully due to its distance from Manhattan downtown Manhattan, except for South Bronx, as well as some parts being very middle class and suburban. Bronx is also not a job center or a job hub.

Staten Island, wont gentrify except immediate areas of the Ferry Landing at St George. No subway connection, its also very suburban and with a huge middle class base.

If NYC was a smaller city, I guarantee everyone on here will be priced out and displaced by now.

The only part of the Bronx experiencing gentrification is Port Morris area, with Mott Haven getting spill over. In the morning while going to work, I see some white folks jogging in the area, and minorities with expensive jogging gear. I have seen one guy jog through the projects the other day. I was amazed. Melrose area is getting some attention as well as the Yankee Stadium area which is home to plenty of professionals who live in Coop Apartments. There is lots of potential in the areas south of 167 street in the South Bronx. I'm afraid other parts of the South Bronx may get left behind and still remain epicenters of crime and poverty.
THANK YOU. The panic over gentrification is wayy overblown. Seriously, people. Canarsie, Sheepshead Bay, all of the NE Bronx and on and on are not going to see any of those dreaded hipsters probably ever. These are the areas we should be building affordable housing.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:55 PM

43 posts, read 102,313 times
Quote:

Not necessarily, I am seeing a few hipster girls and a handful of professional get off at Tremont and enter Royal Terrace on Grand Concourse and the new people in my area need to have a higher income to afford the more expensive and renovated rentals and co-op's. While some of them are more blue collar or bottom tier hipster, it is certainly a step up from the welfare recipients that landlords would allow in with the hopes of us giving up our rent stabilized apartments. Some of us never moved and I personally wont until the day I die...
Btw, during rush hour Tremont is 1 stop from Manhattan and the D train is very quick...

Old 12-02-2015, 02:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Queens doesn't need gentrification. We don't have Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx type ghettos that need cleansing. If you're from Queens and move to Brooklyn or the Bronx, chances are that you are a gentrifier in which the ghetto locals wouldn't be able to tell the difference between you and a midwestern transplant.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
THANK YOU. The panic over gentrification is wayy overblown. Seriously, people. Canarsie, Sheepshead Bay, all of the NE Bronx and on and on are not going to see any of those dreaded hipsters probably ever. These are the areas we should be building affordable housing.
The thing is this. Boston, DC and San Francisco got gentrified out due to being so small along with having a low population. Boston DC San Francisco don't have populations that are a million people. Nyc is a different matter and it will take a century gentrifiy the whole city. It took nearly 50 years for gentrification to leave Greenwich Village and make its way all the way to bed Stuy.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:20 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
My parents were forced out of Bronx. We had a $90 dollar a month rent controlled two bedroom. The crime became insane by 1973. One neighbor was stabbed to death on way home from work by a crack head who only took his newspaper. We had folks dropping cinderblocks onto sidewalks at cops and needles in hallway. My Parents lived in the Bronx from 1957 till January 1974.

My Moms sister owned a two family house near 196 and Grand Concourse. My uncle lasted till 1976, when he had an attack dog and a bat and even though he was a bouncer and a boxer in his youth and was only 47 he had to leave for his safety. Sold it for a song.

My grand uncle and aunt actually owned a farm back in the Bronx. My mom when single used to go to dinner there and visit all the time in the late 1940s through late 1950s.

My Mom and Dad lived in Manhattan when single and the Bronx was an oasis of surburbia when they moved there in 1957 and a step up!!!!
interesting u say crackhead even though crack didn't exist until the 1980s....and didn't hit NY City til 1984....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City