Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 4,999 times

Advertisements

Some guy attacked Diaz on the radio the other day over gentrification. And Diaz said there was no gentrification in the Bronx.

Boro Prez Ruben Diaz Jr Denies Gentrification in The Bronx; Here’s Our List Proving Him Wrong | Welcome2TheBronx

I can see where the party with the burning barrels and the rubble was in seriously poor taste, but can anyone tell me why we need to preserve the culture of crime, crappy low-rent storefronts with Made-in-China goods, bars on windows, heroin busts and dirty streets?

Are "Big-Butt Jeans," the 400,000th bodega and quinceanera dress shops so important that they must be saved? Is it anyone's right to live anywhere they want? I mean -- I don't want it to turn into Williamsburg, but isn't a little gentrification good for the Bronx? Or isn't it?

I work around Fordham and Jerome and see fights in the streets -- and that's the good part, above the 180s -- and someone was shot and killed in the park the other day -- the streets are dirty -- pit bull attacks, people getting shot in the face in a car -- why is it so important to preserve this? Isn't cleaning up an area what a good politician is supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:57 PM

205 posts, read 246,792 times
Diaz has no power whatsoever he is just a bronx mascot like all boro presidents THEY HAVE NO POWER. He is just looking for welfare bunny support for his next election for his do nothing job.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:59 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
The Bronx has nasty corrupt democratic political machines such as Diaz family, Riviera, Velez, Espada, Jose Soriano, arroyo and others. These politicians for many years do nothing but a disservice to the community.

As for gentrification in the Bronx? The gentrification in the Bronx is no where near what we see in Brooklyn and hip areas of Manhattan. To be honest, the gentrification that we see in the Bronx is from mid to low end. The renters and buyers mainly by folks who can't afford or priced out of Manhattan and Brooklyn pads.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 PM

205 posts, read 246,792 times
poor people and high crime is not a good thing

Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
the bronx is the main boro that's in desperate need of gentrification

Old 11-26-2015, 06:44 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Oh, it's definitely going down. It'll be decades before full gentrification though.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:54 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
They need to relocate more current residents to Florida and Pennsylvania. Time to make space for the newcomers.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:51 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
It's coming---I just bought a co op in the Bronx and my movements are a very reliable index of real estate trends over the past 2 decades. I've often said that real estate investors should have me tracked by a Private Eye, because everywhere I've lived in this city has exploded valuewise within a decade of my residence there.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Oh, it's definitely going down. It'll be decades before full gentrification though.
This. It will happen and the early stages of gentrification and urban renewal are already there. It will take decades before full gentrification. Upper Manhattan will likely have to completely gentrify first before you have full gentrification in the Bronx.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Some guy attacked Diaz on the radio the other day over gentrification. And Diaz said there was no gentrification in the Bronx.

Boro Prez Ruben Diaz Jr Denies Gentrification in The Bronx; Here’s Our List Proving Him Wrong | Welcome2TheBronx

I can see where the party with the burning barrels and the rubble was in seriously poor taste, but can anyone tell me why we need to preserve the culture of crime, crappy low-rent storefronts with Made-in-China goods, bars on windows, heroin busts and dirty streets?

Are "Big-Butt Jeans," the 400,000th bodega and quinceanera dress shops so important that they must be saved? Is it anyone's right to live anywhere they want? I mean -- I don't want it to turn into Williamsburg, but isn't a little gentrification good for the Bronx? Or isn't it?

I work around Fordham and Jerome and see fights in the streets -- and that's the good part, above the 180s -- and someone was shot and killed in the park the other day -- the streets are dirty -- pit bull attacks, people getting shot in the face in a car -- why is it so important to preserve this? Isn't cleaning up an area what a good politician is supposed to do?
Anyone can live where they want which means locals are just as entitled and eligible to live there as super entitled closet racist newcomers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City