Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:03 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times

Advertisements

Liberal arts degree will take you far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,571,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
My alma mater, New York City College of Technology, offers Associate Degrees in various practical fields. It is part of CUNY so the tuition is less than a private school.

New York City College of Technology - Home

I did the paralegal program
Hi! I have a friend who is considering a paralegal program, but many of them are really expensive. Were you happy with the program you took? Were you able to find a job? Thanks for any info!

Old 12-26-2015, 03:19 PM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
You need 60 credits to join the NYPD. If doesn't have to be an associates, just 60 with a 2.0 GPA. Definitely will fulfill the working with people part and will pay around $100k with o/t after you top out in 5 1/2 years.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:09 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Hi! I have a friend who is considering a paralegal program, but many of them are really expensive. Were you happy with the program you took? Were you able to find a job? Thanks for any info!
Stick with an ABA approved program: New York - Paralegal Approved Program Directory - ABA

If one already has a college degree, some offer certificate programs. If not, one must go for an associate's or bachelor's.

I liked my school but that was over ten years ago. I'm sure it is still a fine program, but admittedly not the most prestigious of those listed.

Doing well in such a program might motivate one to go on to law school, which I did for a couple of years (CUNY Law) before dropping out for personal reasons, and I never did pursue a career in the legal field. But that's not the fault of the schools.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:11 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,571,114 times
Thank you so much for the information! I hope you ended up in a job and career that you enjoy. I imagine the paralegal training you received comes in handy in day to day life even though you never actually "used" that knowledge professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: