Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:46 AM

205 posts, read 246,904 times

Advertisements

What is up with the double parking during streetsweeping hours? When people just block you in and do not stay in the car or even leave a telephone number? I spoke with a Parking police officer (or whatever they are called) and she said that they give them a pass for this? I understand double parking during streetsweeping hours, but shouldnt you have to leave a note with your number on it, in case the person with a legit spot has to actually go to work?? I mean seriously who does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:49 AM

993 posts, read 1,386,294 times
You've just described the year I rented in Wash Heights, hanging onto a car. The practical solution is to get to know the other people who regularly double-park on your block, along with supers who watch and move cars around. The supers phoned up to the people blocking others to get their bodies down there to move a car blocking someone in.

All those other empty double-parked cars are dealing with the same situation as you are. Get to know them and find out how they handle it.

Or, like me, you sit in the double-parked car for 90 minutes to move aside when needed. Pass that time by talking on a cellphone with my big brother who used to drive an NYC cab in the 70's. Tell him how bad things are, and he'll laugh his belly laugh.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 11-22-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-22-2015, 10:50 AM

205 posts, read 246,904 times
its understandable if you have to double park, I wouldnt mind it if people left their number or address on a note on the windshield its simple and common decency.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 AM

I hear you. It's almost as if all (us) double-parkers had the attitude that you should know your block's routines and not get yourself trapped in that way if you have to depart during those time periods. It's not fair at all. When I got blocked in the first time, that's how I learned the Supers were managing the block through every street sweep.

As for common decency, it is getting uncommon.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:26 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
if you know you will have to go out to an appointment during alternate side of the street parking hours, what I would park do is park on the wrong side, and that way YOU are the doubler, then when its time to go to your appointment or where ever, you are not blocked in and can drive away.

If you don't have to go anywhere then being blocked in for the 90 minutes is not a big deal.

This is just one of those things living here in the city one gets accustomed to. When I worked in park Slope, I would leave a card with my office address in the front windshield in case of emergency, but the neighbors knew where I worked so never had a problem in the 10 years I was there....

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-22-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,824 times
I think the double-parking during street cleaning is unacceptable, and, I believe, illegal.
Sometimes people don't move their double-parked cars after the end of street-cleaning times, so they are basically blocking the whole street when people start parking on the other side of the street again.
Once I got parked in by someone double-parking me in.
I called the police.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:57 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Double parking on *ANY* NYC street is illegal. Period, end of story.

That being said numerous local residents have taken it as some sort of *right* to double park their vehicles for ASSP; either remaining in or leaving them to "just run inside" for a minute. Either way you are subject to a ticket from NYPD.

Somewhere on the UWS or Harlem there was a huge amount of noise a year or so ago when NYPD/traffic agents began issuing tickets to persons who left vehicles double parked due to ASSP. They were all like "WT"? Don't they know the story?????

Technically you aren't supposed to park/stand on the side due for street cleaning either during given period of time. Have seen both NYPD and TEA tell persons to "take a walk" or they will start writing a ticket.

Everyone thinks there are special rules just for them. Worse if things have gone on long enough and or "everybody does it" they believe that somehow trumps what is written into law. Nope, sorry that is not true.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:23 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
while this all sounds like "self entitled people" (me included) just where are blocks and blocks and blocks of people supposed to park their cars when one side of the street is being cleaned?????

we all have no choice but to double it for the measley 90 minutes.

its a city thing, nothing you can do about it.

of course if we cleaned the streets ourselves we wouldnt need the street sweepers, but that aint happening anytime soon.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

of course if we cleaned the streets ourselves we wouldnt need the street sweepers, but that aint happening anytime soon.
It's true. Just like the MTA needing fast track to clean the garbage off the tracks. If people weren't such pigs and picked up after themselves we wouldn't need street cleaners and track cleaners.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 PM

I'm one of the compliant mice who sat in her doubleparked car for all 90 minutes for one year, because i couldn't stand getting a ticket. I can testify that 20 percent of the time no streetsweepers ever came through. The cars re parked and streets were no better or worse than before. It wasn't weather related, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: