Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:40 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times

Advertisements

The carriage horse issue is back from the dead. De Bozo cannot ban all the horses, so now he is proposing to reduce their numbers from 220 to a few dozen.

Why is he obsessed with this non-issue? Because he is bankrolled by NYClass, an alleged animal-rights organization. But who is behind NYClass? Greedy real estate developers who want to get their grubby hands on the horse stables.

And who do you think contributes a ton of money to De Bozo? That's right, NYClass.

De Bozo never uttered a word about animal rights in the first 53 years of his life. All of a sudden in Year 54 he became concerned about the health and well-being of carriage horses? Baloney.

WORST MAYOR EVER!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/ny...ge-horses.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:35 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
I just read the article, and was going to post it, but you beat me to it.

I have never understood de Basio's insistence on doing away with the carriage horses, but the development angle makes a lot of sense. If these horses can't "work" in NYC as carriage horses, most would likely be sent to slaughter in Canada or Mexico. How is that better than these horses pulling carriages around/through Central Park under the eyes of the local humane society and horse-loving residents?

Maybe if these "animal rights" groups put up significant $$$ to provide for the carriage horses to live out their lives in safety and comfort on a farm somewhere Upstate, I might buy that they're genuinely interested in the welfare of the horses, but it just sounds like a plan to get rid of them so that the stables can be developed. Isn't that what happened a few years ago to the stable near Central Park where people could rent riding horses or board their own -- the horses were sold/moved out and the building/land redeveloped?

The affinity of people for horses is probably only second to the affinity of people towards dogs. Many cities and tourist towns that long ago abandoned carriage horses have brought them back because there's a demand for them, and NYC had carriage horses long before any of the other places did, probably because they never left. In that case, they're really an historical institution that the mayor should be seeking to preserve rather destroy.

May the mayor and his deep pocketed pals posing as "animal rights activists" step in a big pile of horse poop sooner rather than later.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
what he needs to do is ban the tourist helicopters that are ruining all our waterfront parks, and govenors island, not to mention all the residents that pay a lot of money to live on the waterfront, both in NJ and NY have to suffer 7 days a week with noise.

The tourist helicopters are very noisy and are relentless with their droan all day 7 days a week. We know this is a city and there will be noise, obviously that is to be expected, but this noise can and should be eliminated once and for all. Tourist helicopters are not necessary.

this is what he needs to do, we the taxpayers and residents of this city matter, not a few tourists, please.

Keep the horses, they are charming and make no noise and don't disrupt people on a daily basis.....

Old 11-24-2015, 05:49 PM

539 posts, read 523,399 times
The horses are charming and iconic. The people have spoken and they should stay.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
The horses should only stay if it is proven to be in their best interests.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
There have been foundations and farms that have said they will take the horses and they will not go to the slaughter house. They will be able to live the rest of their lives taken care of instead of having to be the one taken care of people. I support the end of carriage rides using horses. Now if a human wants to be tied up and chooses to pull tourists around thats fine in my book.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
There have been foundations and farms that have said they will take the horses and they will not go to the slaughter house. They will be able to live the rest of their lives taken care of instead of having to be the one taken care of people. I support the end of carriage rides using horses. Now if a human wants to be tied up and chooses to pull tourists around thats fine in my book.

I heard this as well but wasn't sure.
I have seen a lot in the so-called rescue world and don't know what to believe.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So 200 other horses will go to the slaughterhouse. Keeping a horse is an expensive proposition.

Horses pull things. That's what they do. The Central Park horses look very well taken care of. Pardon the pun, but get off your high horse.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM

593 posts, read 470,411 times
They should get rid of the horse carriages in Central Park. It is not good for the horses, and it really creates a mess and stink with all the horse excrement in the lower loop. The city and the taxpayers own Central Park and have a right to determine how the park is used.

I would also ban motor vehicles except for such things as NYPD, garbage disposal, park maintenance. The purpose of the park is to be a sanctuary and recreation area for city residents, not to be a shortcut for commuters and cabs.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
they should get rid of the horse carriages in central park. It is not good for the horses, and it really creates a mess and stink with all the horse excrement in the lower loop. The city and the taxpayers own central park and have a right to determine how the park is used.

I would also ban motor vehicles except for such things as nypd, garbage disposal, park maintenance. The purpose of the park is to be a sanctuary and recreation area for city residents, not to be a shortcut for commuters and cabs.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City