Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,446,280 times

Advertisements

^^^ Or like a version of Brooklyn in the 21st century?(or what we could've been prior to 1898)

Before the annexation with the other boroughs I always pictured this is what BK would've looked liked eventually. Hence why we're the only other borough outside of Manhattan with a Downtown. Let that truly sink in for a moment.

Never mind the fact that we have the subway access Downtown, forget about more companies (tech/creative) moving into the borough so more residents wanting to work in the borough etc. I could literally go on about it but I won't. As others have mentioned already there are many places in BK that will NEVER see this type of development because it's protected by landmarked districts.

As a Brooklyn native and still a proud current resident, I support 9 Dekalb. As well as City-Point and Pacific Park (aka Atlantic Yards).

Bring on the development at 9 Dekalb/340 Flatbush (which is already approved by the landmark commission - so it will get built whether people like it or not)

Some nice funding already as well - Jared Kushner funding JDS and Chetrit’s Brooklyn supertall

Seeing as though Brooklyn is the 2nd densest place in America (by counties) it really has it's own niche in the urban/city context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,987,773 times
When some developer kicks in the cash to commission a model, perhaps then we can take this seriously.
Pencil drawing an imaginary building atop a photograph of Brooklyn is fantasy-land imagining.

If it was photoshopped in the middle of East Orange it would be equally believable.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
When some developer kicks in the cash to commission a model, perhaps then we can take this seriously.
Pencil drawing an imaginary building atop a photograph of Brooklyn is fantasy-land imagining.

If it was photoshopped in the middle of East Orange it would be equally believable.
You must've missed my post above when I just showed some funding already secured.

Also you must not know who Michael Stern is (look him up). In short this is getting built, it's already approved, passed landmarking requirements and the community board approved. Also the demand is there =)

Old 05-31-2016, 05:32 PM

5,455 posts, read 5,688,763 times
Quote:

That is not drawn by some kid in the basement. That "drawing" is the official render by one of the most expensive architecture firms in the city commissioned by the developer. They have already spend $115 million on this.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,987,773 times
Well as long as it is "official" and "expensive" it must be a done deal...until it is not.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,244,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN — Downtown Brooklyn could start looking more like Midtown Manhattan if a work application filed with the city’s Department of Buildings is approved.

looks pretty cool. i wouldn't mind, and within context of other tall buildings going up near it in the next few decades, it'll have it's place in the city. funny people complaining about tall buildings in nyc. they must be transplants.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Well as long as it is "official" and "expensive" it must be a done deal...until it is not.
Lol.

Okay I can tell you don't know much about developers/new construction in the city. I'll also assume you don't care to know because if you did you would've looked at who's behind this project. So I'll play your game:

Yeah, it's not official, the demand for/in Brooklyn is nonexistent and Williamsburg is still a massively affordable neighborhood in the borough. . .

Old 06-05-2016, 06:43 PM

14,039 posts, read 13,872,867 times
Will Brooklyn Finally Get a World-Class Skyline?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...=twitter_nymag

Old 06-11-2016, 01:23 PM

224 posts, read 133,862 times
That tower is just an awful symbol of where Brooklyn is going. Gentrification is just sucking the soul out of NY. Sad.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:36 PM

14,039 posts, read 13,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
That tower is just an awful symbol of where Brooklyn is going. Gentrification is just sucking the soul out of NY. Sad.
Downtown Brooklyn is now refer as East Midtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City