Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
drivers are raped by politicians. NY/NJ PA DOUBLED the toll for all Hudson River crossings. DOUBLED! 16 bucks to cross a bridge is rape. I could never live in New Jersey for this simple reason. Their goal is to get it to 100 bucks. Why not?

That money goes into general revenues and most of it funnels to welfare payments and employee costs for legacy public union workers.
The Port Authority collects the NY/NJ toll money and that money does not go into welfare payments.

Employee costs yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
Really? Really??

Are you always so argumentative and contrary? I never wrote that I paid the full fare (although I could be forced to if I lost my tag or the battery died or something).

I wrote the amount of the full fare.

Go back and read my comment. Seriously.

Listen bub, it isn't my fault if construction of a paragraph isn't up your street. I read what you said and took it for what it was meant. If it had other meanings you should have said.

You wrote:

"drivers are raped by politicians. NY/NJ PA DOUBLED the toll for all Hudson River crossings. DOUBLED! 16 bucks to cross a bridge is rape. I could never live in New Jersey for this simple reason. Their goal is to get it to 100 bucks. Why not? "

The only drivers who are being "raped" or whatever by paying full toll are those doing so in cash. E-Z pass holders do *NOT* pay sixteen or whatever dollars.

As the sisters would say in school "be specific please....".

Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Gas by me is $2.19 a gallon
Where? The cheapest one I've seen in the Ridgewood/Glendale area is the one by Cypress and Cooper at $2.23 right off the Jackie. Is it $2.19 without the additional credit card surcharge?

Old 12-08-2015, 03:13 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Chicago costs $2.25 and Boston is $2.10. The COL isn't much better either when all things are accounted for (lower pay, inequal housing). That and lifestyle changes that people often overlook that cause them to move back to where they lived before.

I am somewhat lucky though in that what I pay is about what I'd pay in the Loop, but after sitting in an empty park for 3 hours on Michigan Ave in Chicago when it's 40-50 degrees out, I felt happy to return to this city that so many people seem to hate haha. I also know at my level in my career, it's a 25-30% hit in pay. No thanks!
I love New York but it's doing its best to turn its public transport system into utter crap and make NYC into another Cleveland or Phoenix where you can't go to a grocery store without a car. The Charlie isnt round the clock like MTA, but The Charlie is cheaper, cleaner, and even goes into the suburbs. We need to improve the public transport and walkability of New York City and put an end to this Clevelandization of one of America's greatest cities!

Old 12-08-2015, 04:21 PM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh you pay more than that....

Look at your utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, etc....) there is a MTA surcharge attached.

Take a taxi in NYC? There is a MTA surcharge on the fare as well.

Cellphone? Ditto

Sell property/real estate? Ditto

Own property or real estate? Ditto

Have a business with payroll? Well you get the idea...

$85 ‘stealth tax’ pain | New York Post

So when you get up in the morning, turn on the television or radio, get on your computer, make breakfast, make a few telephone calls you have "paid" the MTA long before you even get to the subway and or bus.

There are quite a few other MTA taxes out there. Its an abomination

Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Listen bub, it isn't my fault if construction of a paragraph isn't up your street. I read what you said and took it for what it was meant. If it had other meanings you should have said.

You wrote:

"drivers are raped by politicians. NY/NJ PA DOUBLED the toll for all Hudson River crossings. DOUBLED! 16 bucks to cross a bridge is rape. I could never live in New Jersey for this simple reason. Their goal is to get it to 100 bucks. Why not? "

The only drivers who are being "raped" or whatever by paying full toll are those doing so in cash. E-Z pass holders do *NOT* pay sixteen or whatever dollars.

He's just a whinny baby Bugsy. He gets off on insulting people and thinks he's better than most.
He said a few ill things about me when I offered a out of towner honest advice.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
He said a few ill things about me when I offered a out of towner honest advice.
He stepped out of line and was encouraged to step back.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:27 PM

415 posts, read 514,303 times
Quote:

You wrote:

Quote:
...I read what you said....

I didn't say anything. I wrote it.

I understand you're a little slow and when you read, you need to take your time and mouth the words out loud. Sorry. The good news is that if you keep reading you'll get better at it. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:48 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
There are quite a few other MTA taxes out there. Its an abomination
Complete fiscal irresponsibility.

The MTA will one day tax sonograms on Women's first child as it is in the womb.
.15 cents per proposed pound of birthweight baby.

I also see in the future the MTA taxing the MTA taxes.

My least favorite of course, will be the Federal MTA taxes.
Where they justify the value of downtstate New York's transit system is so important, that everyone in the country should pay for it... but by no means should they try to curb costs or raise fares / ad revenue to reflect the cost of doing business.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Where? The cheapest one I've seen in the Ridgewood/Glendale area is the one by Cypress and Cooper at $2.23 right off the Jackie. Is it $2.19 without the additional credit card surcharge?
Mobil on Myrtle & Cooper is $2.19, same with Gulf on Cooper & 73 Pl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City