Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:15 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

MTA fares aren't going down anytime soon, so just forget it.

In case anyone has forgotten they still have two major projects going (SAS and Eastside Access). Then there is rebuilding the South Ferry station damaged by super storm Sandy. Politicians and others are putting the heat on MTA about the second phase of SAS and so forth. They still have plenty of major maintenance work on bridges, tunnels and subways/trains that needs doing. Oh and the MTA is drowning deep in debt.

Best we can hope for is a limit to nil fare increases now that the MTA is raking in cash from taxes and surcharges. However if the economy tanks and or the real estate market cools, all bets are off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 AM

5,118 posts, read 4,966,473 times
American drivers have about $540 more in their pockets this year thanks to low gas prices.

That savings comes as gas prices averagedabout $2.40 a gallon in 2015, down from an average of $3.34 a gallon last year, according to the Oil Price Information Service, which tracks prices for AAA. Gas is currently $2.01 a gallon -- its lowest price in nearly seven years.

And since most families have two drivers, many households are saving twice as much -- about $1,100.
The average driver buys about 11 gallons of gas a week, which means they'll spend $1,400 at the pump this year, down from $1,950 in 2014. The most expensive year for drivers was 2012, when they shelled out $2,100.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
MTA fares aren't going down anytime soon, so just forget it.

In case anyone has forgotten they still have two major projects going (SAS and Eastside Access). Then there is rebuilding the South Ferry station damaged by super storm Sandy. Politicians and others are putting the heat on MTA about the second phase of SAS and so forth. They still have plenty of major maintenance work on bridges, tunnels and subways/trains that needs doing. Oh and the MTA is drowning deep in debt.

Best we can hope for is a limit to nil fare increases now that the MTA is raking in cash from taxes and surcharges. However if the economy tanks and or the real estate market cools, all bets are off.
Penn Station Access, a project designed to have Metro North trains to go to Penn Station, just got approved for this capital budget so add that to the list of major projects.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
My discussion wasn't of Nassau or Westchester- it was Suffolk, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, and Rockland that would hardly collapse without Mass Transit- to which you disagreed.

Nassau has minimal development next to commuter rail, especially for a suburb it's size. The towns refuse to adapt to such a model. NYC is forced upon the Island that has no bridge off of it. Had a cross sound solution ever come to be, the dependency would drop- as would significant MTA revenue from TBTA crossings used merely to circumvent NYC as much as possible.

London's is the Capitol of the UK, however it's public transit (sans buses) costs multitudes more than NYCT.
Hong Kong is a SAR- and it's MTR agency MAKES money. Not only because of it's efficiency in transit- but also it's status as a large scale developer of real estate in the vicinity of it's stations.

You're just being one of those typical New Yorkers who is pointed to a pothole in the ground and instead of taking responsibility for fixing it, defends the greatness of the pothole. It's why so little ever gets fixed and updated. Look around next time you're in a MTA subway- it's nearly third world.
I would much rather take the subway than drive. And yes I have my drivers license. The subway gets me where I want to go.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I would much rather take the subway than drive. And yes I have my drivers license. The subway gets me where I want to go.
All well and good if you are a New York City shut in which I know is a proud mantra of yours.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Penn Station Access, a project designed to have Metro North trains to go to Penn Station, just got approved for this capital budget so add that to the list of major projects.

When PRR and NYC were bitter rivals you never had trains going from GCT to NYP or access by either RR to the other's terminal/station. After the merger creating Penn-Central RR for awhile Amtrak trains ran out of GCT and yes, there was a way for Amtrak or any other train to leave either GCT and get to NYP or vice versa. Basically using the same route the as shown in the linked plan. Going up out of the City and switching over....

Idea is if or when the Farley USPS building is turned into the "new" Penn Station it will free up *some* room at NYP and thus allow for "East Side Access". Then you also have the new Hudson River Tunnel project that will add capacity to the east side. It won't solve all of Penn Station's problems underground but there you are.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
Quote:
Idea is if or when the Farley USPS building is turned into the "new" Penn Station it will free up *some* room at NYP and thus allow for "East Side Access". Then you also have the new Hudson River Tunnel project that will add capacity to the east side. It won't solve all of Penn Station's problems underground but there you are.
East Side Access : Opening 1993.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
East Side Access : Opening 1993.

Sorry, went off there for a moment.

Was thinking of the plans to reinstate Amtrak service to GCT and allow MN trains into NYP.

Never mind, carry on.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
When PRR and NYC were bitter rivals you never had trains going from GCT to NYP or access by either RR to the other's terminal/station. After the merger creating Penn-Central RR for awhile Amtrak trains ran out of GCT and yes, there was a way for Amtrak or any other train to leave either GCT and get to NYP or vice versa. Basically using the same route the as shown in the linked plan. Going up out of the City and switching over....

Phase One of the Farley conversion to the new Penn Station will be done next year. Then they just have to do Phase 2. In 2014 they already had the majority of the money in place. Any additional money will likely come from the new Amtrak projects in which they build the new Amtrak tunnels from NJ to NY. They have to do this as existing NJ Transit/Amtrak tunnels are damaged by Hurricane Sandy and at some point need to be shut down for repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City