Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 PM

205 posts, read 246,696 times

Advertisements

The job duties must have been racially biased just like IQ tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
These kids need to learn how to learn under white teachers and be successful when lots of white people are around.

Not because this country belongs to white people, but simply because they cant let something like that hold them back.

Who ever is advocating for this needs to be shot.
That is nothing new. Teachers have been white in the NYC public schools for most of its existence. I attended school here from 1968 - 1980 and had three black teachers the entire time.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Oh but something like that does hold substantial percentages of kids back.

For starters why do all the working of learning if apparently people like you can't be teachers or in position of authority? You're just wasting your time.

It's amazing how people have all this advice and concern (allegedly of course) for minority children, but when they become adults they don't want to employ them at all.

Students in general including white students would benefit from having teachers from different racial and cultural backgrounds.

Basically I notice a lot of people here seem to like tokens. In your minds it's okay for them to be one or two minorities hired for professional jobs, which according to people here should remain vastly white while the Black and Hispanic people continue to work as janitors, maids, and other menial jobs.

What's the effect of seeing just Blacks and Hispanics in the maid jobs at schools, while mostly seeing white teachers? Clearly that's telling kids what their future is.

So yes this policy is a wonderful idea and the conversation to diversify teachers has expanded considerably in recent years in public policy and in education.
There are already some minority teachers right? That should be enough minority teachers for minorities to believe they can work in teaching.

And they also need to filter out what messages are being forced upon them, like stereotypes perpetuating by MSM and think for themselves.

They should not care if all the custodians are black and hispanic if they want to be something else. By the way there is nothing wrong with custodians. It is a job, and it pays the bills.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's okay for them to be one or two minorities hired for professional jobs, which according to people here should remain vastly white while the Black and Hispanic people continue to work as janitors, maids, and other menial jobs.

What's the effect of seeing just Blacks and Hispanics in the maid jobs at schools, while mostly seeing white teachers? Clearly that's telling kids what their future is.

So yes this policy is a wonderful idea and the conversation to diversify teachers has expanded considerably in recent years in public policy and in education.
QUESTION TO THE GROUP:

Of the Black & Hispanic people you know who have college degrees and beyond (I hope you actually know some ) what careers are they concentrated in?

And, looking specifically at the males within that group, have you ever known them to express an interest in teaching?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:10 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Which you lack apparently because you disappeared from the sanitation thread. And that tells all of us there that you got a miserable score on the test and were too embarrassed to post anymore. Yep, a test based on reading comprehension and yet you play that game with another...gotcha
You mean the thread that was closed? Interesting. I've said on this website many times (and in some of those DSNY threads) that I'd rather be a train operator/ engineer, (or cop as a backup plan) hence the name RAILMAN, genius.

That's right, keep posting in a thread for a career that I'm not interested for, for a job that I'm not even old enough to do (yet).

Keep tracking me, I feel flattered.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You mean the thread that was closed? Interesting. I've said on this website many times (and in some of those DSNY threads) that I'd rather be a train operator/ engineer, (or cop as a backup plan) hence the name RAILMAN, genius.

That's right, keep posting in a thread for a career that I'm not interested for, for a job that I'm not even old enough to do (yet).

Keep tracking me, I feel flattered.
Hi Railman,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm asking because I am genuinely curious.

Are you a Black or Hispanic man? Are you in college or have a college degree?

Why would you prefer to be a a train operator/engineer, or cop, over a teacher?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
quote:
Full time teachers who make the minimum of monthly payments for 10 years get their student loans canceled/forgiven.

This is so disgustingly unfair.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:30 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Another wrench to throw into the mix.. It was a serious issue for me as a kid. I did not appreciate being taught by straight teachers. I did have a few gay teachers, but they weren't the greatest. Being taught in a predominantly heterocentric learning environment actually DID cause me to feel bad about myself. I did get straight A's (because I went to a crappy public NJ high school.. Most NJ high schools are GREAT, but mine sucked.. North Bergen), but it was still felt "unsafe" for me at all times. I am retroactively pulling the outrage card!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:50 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Hi Railman,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm asking because I am genuinely curious.

Are you a Black or Hispanic man? Are you in college or have a college degree?

Why would you prefer to be a a train operator/engineer, or cop, over a teacher?
It's fine, I'm not taking it wrong at all.

Though I get mistaken quite often for being of Hispanic descent (haha) I'm Black, and I'm currently attending a college at a CUNY.

I'd like to be a train operator or a railroad engineer simply because I'm fascinated with trains. It's just something about the subway that intrigues me deeply. Train operators also make a decent salary somewhere in the low 30's an hour, and engineers on RR's make alot more (six figures), but I like the subway over the railroad and would take that paycut anyday.

I also have an uncle (retired) and personally know some Train Ops who work for the MTA currently that have taught me some stuff, and told me about things that they've seen on the job. (interesting indeed)

I honestly feel like I'd never get bored, or I wouldn't feel like I held-back my potential if I got the job

My second choice, being a cop. That's also a job that intrigues me. I like helping people and the user Airborne (thank you sir) told me about some cool things about the NYPD too. The 90K they make was also an eye grabber.

Teaching. It's just something that never came to mind. I've worked at a daycare before over the summer and it was cool, but it was very stressful. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but don't teachers in NYC make 23$ an hour? For the stuff that they put up with I don't think it's worth it personally, and I'm not going to add onto the stockpile of teachers that come in solely for the paycheck.

Sorry for the late response!

Old 12-13-2015, 03:03 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Full time teachers who make the minimum of monthly payments for 10 years get their student loans canceled/forgiven.

This is so disgustingly unfair.
It's true of all public service- but there's a funny catch.
A standard student loan repayment terms is 10 years. Generally no debt would be dismissed.

The workaround is if you're working for low income, or have a large family and need to reduce your payments based on need.

Teacher's are unlikely to benefit, but Teachers Aids and School Security can see quality reductions.

There are other teacher loan forgiveness programs for those in Title 1 schools working for 5 consecutive years. Generally speaking they need such incentives to put anyone in rough places like that- but still the incentive isn't enough, when LI and Westchester will pay $5-10K a year more, plus better working conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City