Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 PM

49 posts, read 158,913 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering looking at a co-op in the Skyview complex.
I did a search here and didn't find any recent discussion about the place.

I'd appreciate any comments on the building, the area, safety, transportation, food shopping....for starters.

Thanks in advance,
Ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:35 PM

6 posts, read 5,839 times
I too am looking for more info. I was there a week ago. There are three big buildings with about 1400 units in all, I think. The place was originally a rental built in the 1960s. It never reached 100% occupancy. It converted to a coop in the 1980s. There are still about 16% of the units rented. These are owned by a sponsor who has a mortgage on those. This debt is separate from any financials related to the coop, but % of rentals in coops do impact finances, just not expert enough to say how. The complex is high up on a hill. I've been on the hill and it is a considerable hike up and down, I would imagine in winter tricky. Views are nice. The place is promoted for its resort like features: big pool, nice grounds, gym. Some people complain about parking thefts in past, mixed reviews about occupants which is normal. My wife was overwhelmed by the amount of humanity there. Very much a sea of bodies :-) Like the Matrix! But many posts here proclaim diehard love for the place. The transportation is supposedly very good, with a rail link bus to the Metro North station, as well as shuttles to shopping venues. I have never used any of it. The subways require a bus to them. I don't think you can walk to them. Most people drive. Parking is $100 for outdoor, $140 in, but in is wait listed. The lobby I saw was nice. People friendly. Dated, but nice. Laundry facilities in basement (I think) were modern. About $3 a load for wash and dry. Elevators seemed like they moved well. The whole place is wrapping up a $14 mil repointing of the exterior brick walls, which is a major job. The agent who took us around stopped at the nearby market so we could get some water. The parking was gnarly, people pushing. It is a busy place, but I read that the bulk of the residents, Jewish, are very protective of keeping the place very nice, and in a good way. I hear there is Jewish racism there, in that they can make it hard for non-Jews to gain entry into buildings, etc. I think Skyview is a little more mixed, so if you are not a Jew you may fare better here.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
The place is terrific. The commute is beyond awful because your first leg into Manhattan must be that M7 bus ride to the #1 train.

The walk from the bus up to the apartments in snow is not something you forget after you do it the first time. (Our first visit was Christmas Day after a heavy snowstorm.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City