Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times

Advertisements

Are all your friends in Brooklyn? If so, then think twice before moving to Queens, unless your Brooklyn friends are all in Greenpoint, which is very easy to get to from Sunnyside. Sunnyside to Manhattan and Sunnyside to Greenpoint are very easy and fast, but Sunnyside to Park Slope is not. So you should consider your social life before making such a move.

Other than that, Sunnyside is a perfectly nice place to live, but very low-key, mixed population and not really a young/hip area, although there are a few places to go out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 10:04 PM

243 posts, read 308,169 times
Willow1990, that's a good point about the 7. I normally just wait for the 7 behind the one that just pulled into the station during rush hour since they're right behind one another. That way, i always get a seat. The stairs is also a good point. 3 flights of stairs is well and good in the cold winter, but it is a pain in those hot summer days. I'm not familiar with Park Slope, but if you work in Midtown, I'd go with Sunnyside. If you work in Brooklyn or downtown Manhattan than go with Park Slope.

If you want something similar to Sunnyside, you can also try Astoria which is next to Sunnyside and 2 stops from the Manhattan.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:24 AM

443 posts, read 432,892 times
I love Sunnyside. The 7 train has its ups and downs - it's quick and it runs frequently but during rush hour it is PACKED. And when I say packed, I mean sardine-packed. A lot of it are the students that take the train to 33rd-Rawson for LaGCC or Aviation HS. Even once they get off you most likely won't get a seat. But the area itself is great, lots of bars/restaurants, you have the Fresh & Save supermarket on 45th and Queens Blvd which they recently renovated. The buses on the Boulevard run often (granted, I've only taken them a few times). I think the elementary and middle school in that zoned area are also really good if I'm not mistaken. As for a young crowd, I think it's a mix. I'm 30 and I really like the area.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:04 AM

I like the area too. I always hang at my friend place there cause there's coffee shops and supermarkets. Cafe Beane is great, but I've frequent that area enough to see the same shady characters lurking around and getting free soda at the local Burger King.

It does have young professionals and you see it during rush hour, but you also have the old timers that are staying there for dear life cause their rent never increased to the point where they couldn't afford it. If they leave, they'll be paying $1,600.00 and up for a 1 bedroom and they probably pay half that now for a 2 bedroom.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:41 AM

320 posts, read 281,634 times
I never heard of Cafe Bene until today and from the looks of it seems like it would be packed with people who think they are somehow too good for corporate Starbucks (yet have the same values secetly) and think they are thinking different after seeing a 20 year old commercial on their 2016 iPhone and have decided to think different just like everyone else in their movement...I really like what's happening to Sunnyside and I think i'm gonna go cruise the 7 and stop off at one of these corporate chains of Korean coffe houses. Just 15 minutes to midtown. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM

Everyone likes to sit and have coffee. The Starbucks on 46th is way TOO crowded. I prefer Starbucks, but Cafe Beane offers more pastries and other sweet dishes that you can't get at Starbucks. Plus, the pastries are 50% off after 6pm. It's just another alternative to sitting down and enjoying your coffee. I don't think it had to do with I'm better than you. However, that coffee shop opening up is signaling a move towards young, working, professionals.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
I never heard of Cafe Bene until today and from the looks of it seems like it would be packed with people who think they are somehow too good for corporate Starbucks (yet have the same values secetly) and think they are thinking different after seeing a 20 year old commercial on their 2016 iPhone and have decided to think different just like everyone else in their movement...I really like what's happening to Sunnyside and I think i'm gonna go cruise the 7 and stop off at one of these corporate chains of Korean coffe houses. Just 15 minutes to midtown. Thanks for the help.
I think you're wrong in your perceptions of Caffe Bene. One opened a few weeks ago in Jackson Heights and from what I've observed from walking by, it's kind of an overflow crowd from Starbucks (a few blocks away). Starbucks was always full so I'm sure the franchise owner of this Caffe Bene made a good decision to open in an area that's already full of people who want to go to Starbucks but couldn't find a seat.

The crowd looks mostly like what the rest of Jackson Heights looks like -- very mixed by race and age. I heard they have some sort of unusual waffle dessert, which you won't find at Starbucks.

Last edited by Henna; 12-17-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM

320 posts, read 281,634 times
No ladies, I'm excited for cafe bene, Starbucks is so yesterday, I'm looking for exotic oriental novelty, specifically Korean chain owned. Do ya think they'll serve me some artisan coffee with Park Geun-hye's pretty face on top? Heading there now, see ya on the 7!

As for Jackson Heights? The brown will be in the sewers in 15 years (where it belongs), the city is fixing the toilet as we speak, its just work has slowed due to Buswick's toilet being so backed up. I just cant wait for the heights to diversify, Caucasiantrification cant come fast enough!

Last edited by Spodi90; 12-17-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 02:26 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,516,863 times
The 7 train is always packed in the mornings going into Manhattan during rush hour and you most likely won't get a seat. It's not always a smooth commute and at times (especially on the weekends), the MTA likes to inconvenience Queens people by not having the train run into Manhattan.

Not sure what you mean by young community-it is a diverse community and I have never felt unsafe there even late at night. There's a mixture of restaurants and shops. If you move there, you will be in Jimmy Van Bramers district - he's one of the more active members of the city council. You should take a look at his website as well as the website for Community Board 2 in Sunnyside, Queens to see what kinds of issues/problems are going on in the neighborhood.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
No ladies, I'm excited for cafe bene, Starbucks is so yesterday, I'm looking for exotic oriental novelty, specifically Korean chain owned. Do ya think they'll serve me some artisan coffee with Park Geun-hye's pretty face on top? Heading there now, see ya on the 7!

As for Jackson Heights? The brown will be in the sewers in 15 years (where it belongs), the city is fixing the toilet as we speak, its just work has slowed due to Buswick's toilet being so backed up. I just cant wait for the heights to diversify, Caucasiantrification cant come fast enough!
I see we have a new troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: