Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM

391 posts, read 285,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Flushing is far from boring.
It's boring if you're not into Chinese culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:15 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Where's the subway and how long to the city and the "hip" parts of Brooklyn?

Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstsunami55 View Post
It's boring if you're not into Chinese culture.
Pretty much accurate.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Where's the subway and how long to the city and the "hip" parts of Brooklyn?
It depends which parts, there is actually a lot of subway service throughout Southwestern Brooklyn

Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It depends which parts, there is actually a lot of subway service throughout Southwestern Brooklyn
However it's one hell of a long commute to manhattan. Also South Brooklyn is very homogeneous. Transplants won't fit to well there.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
However it's one hell of a long commute to manhattan. Also South Brooklyn is very homogeneous. Transplants won't fit to well there.
It depends how deep in South Brooklyn. If you count Midwood as South Brooklyn it's not bad, especially on Weekdays when the B train is running. Coney Island to Manhattan is rough, though.

South Brooklyn is very mixed overall. I don't think there are any South Brooklyn neighborhoods that are homogenous, save for a few outliers maybe.

It might not be appealing to transplants in the same way as Park Slope, but I'm sure there are plenty of people there who transplanted from other states, and there are definitely people there who transplanted from other countries.

I think the whole "transplant vs native" thing is quite silly, there are many New York born people who act like stereotypical hipsters/yuppies, and there are many transplants who don't stand out.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
It depends how deep in South Brooklyn. If you count Midwood as South Brooklyn it's not bad, especially on Weekdays when the B train is running. Coney Island to Manhattan is rough, though.

South Brooklyn is very mixed overall. I don't think there are any South Brooklyn neighborhoods that are homogenous, save for a few outliers maybe.
The B train doesn't really stop in Midwood.
It stops at Newkirk, which is really Kensington/Ditmas Park, not Midwood, and then again at Kings Highway, which is the very southern edge of Midwood, really more Gravesend/Sheepshead Bay.

Agreed, though, that the B train being express is a faster ride into Manhattan. However, even so, it's really a good hour door to door from Midwood/Gravesend on the B to midtown Manhattan, or slightly more than an hour.

I also agree that South Brooklyn is not homogenous.
Actually it's very diverse, largely immigrants from all over the world.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The B train doesn't really stop in Midwood.
It stops at Newkirk, which is really Kensington/Ditmas Park, not Midwood, and then again at Kings Highway, which is the very southern edge of Midwood, really more Gravesend/Sheepshead Bay.

Agreed, though, that the B train being express is a faster ride into Manhattan. However, even so, it's really a good hour door to door from Midwood/Gravesend on the B to midtown Manhattan, or slightly more than an hour.

I also agree that South Brooklyn is not homogenous.
Actually it's very diverse, largely immigrants from all over the world.
Oops I forgot which stops the B train skipped, Midwood wasn't the best example but I used it since it's the Northernmost neighborhood that I would consider to be South Brooklyn.

But yeah South Brooklyn is far from homogenous, it probably contains some of the most diverse neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

And not only is it ethnically diverse, but it's also economically diverse.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

It might not be appealing to transplants in the same way as Park Slope, but I'm sure there are plenty of people there who transplanted from other states, and there are definitely people there who transplanted from other countries.

I think the whole "transplant vs native" thing is quite silly, there are many New York born people who act like stereotypical hipsters/yuppies, and there are many transplants who don't stand out.
Agreed and agreed. You can't make assumptions about where people will fit in. I'm sure there are transplants working in schools in South Brooklyn. And in social services and the hospitals. I'm sure there are transplants working at the NY Aquarium in South Brooklyn. And you are right there are lots of immigrants in South Brooklyn.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:09 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed and agreed. You can't make assumptions about where people will fit in. I'm sure there are transplants working in schools in South Brooklyn. And in social services and the hospitals. I'm sure there are transplants working at the NY Aquarium in South Brooklyn. And you are right there are lots of immigrants in South Brooklyn.
There are transplants working in schools, hospitals,etc, in South Brooklyn.

But the question is: do they live in South Brooklyn?

I do (in some ways I could be considered a transplant), but honestly, I'm alone among my friends, none of whom live further south in Brooklyn than Kensington/Ditmas Park. Honestly, that seems like the unofficial dividing line.

Personally I prefer to live in an immigrant and/or working class neighborhood (I am one of the few native born Americans in my apartment building), but most transplants don't.

Unless one is an immigrant from somewhere (in particular the former Soviet Union - South Brooklyn is really predominately Russian in many/most neighborhoods), or an Orthodox Jew (even an American Orthodox Jew), South Brooklyn holds little appeal for most people, especially most transplants.

An exception to the "few native born Americans" theory, is the Syrian Jewish community in Midwood/Gravesend (most of whom are NOT immigrants - most of their ancestors came to NYC as much as 100 years ago), but they are firmly entrenched in a stable community in South Brooklyn, and show no signs of leaving any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City