Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 AM

931 posts, read 798,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I wasn't talking about "Urban hipster lifestyle". I was talking about the infiltration of cornball families into NYC.
I'd rather see NYC filled with "cornball" families than rude ghetto asss families that you see in the hood. I'd take that any day and so should everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
I'd rather see NYC filled with "cornball" families than rude ghetto asss families that you see in the hood. I'd take that any day and so should everyone else.
The landlords certainly prefer "cornball" families to ghetto families. The so called cornballs pay more money and a landlord is a businessman, not a baby sitter.

Hailing a taxi? I only do that if my battery is dead. Uber is the way to go (in response to people saying you can't get a cab in the suburbs).

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Interesting. I have a friend who is a long time BK resident (a native actually) and is on the brink of being "gentrified out" of her apartment. I've been telling her for years that she should buy something. Most of Brooklyn is now out of her financial reach but plenty of the Bronx is not. I hope she listens to me this time because if the predictions in that article is true, the affordable places are about to get a lot more unaffordable.
Those predictions are going to happen. It's a question of WHEN not IF.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:18 AM

779 posts, read 1,001,046 times
I feel like Coney Island has very little room left for gentrification.

In the past several years they have re-built a lot of the rides in the amusement park, added a baseball field, and still have some plans to add an attraction or two. If you drive down surf ave nowadays, it actually don't look that bad, until you get in between the blocks.

Despite the projects, there have been a lot of condo's built in an around the low income folks. Thing is, as long as the public housing buildings are standing, we won't be able to move the crime and gang activity away from the area.

Otherwise if you live along sheepshead, brighton or coney island, getting to manhattan is reasonable, it can take anywhere from 30-40mins....transportation is readily available.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 AM

236 posts, read 270,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes. I believe so.

And Coney Island goes 2 miles West of Ocean Parkway to West 37th Street.
The further west you go the more gang-infested you get.

Actually, anything west of the Stillwell Avenue subway stop (West 14th Street) in Coney Island is gang territory.
I've been to the Coney Island area a few times, but only the area where the Brooklyn Cyclones stadium is, followed by the beach. How far away are the projects/ section 8 housing from that area?

Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveneye217 View Post
I've been to the Coney Island area a few times, but only the area where the Brooklyn Cyclones stadium is, followed by the beach. How far away are the projects/ section 8 housing from that area?
Across the street from the cyclones stadium all the way down towards seagate, all of those buildings are projects.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Across the street from the cyclones stadium all the way down towards seagate, all of those buildings are projects.
Not that there are present plans to do so, but the city may one move people out of those projects elsewhere. They'd have to do it conjunction with the federal government, but it is possible.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not that there are present plans to do so, but the city may one move people out of those projects elsewhere. They'd have to do it conjunction with the federal government, but it is possible.
I've never seen or heard of an entire projects being moved, and with the limited space we have in this city right now, I just don't see that happening.

The affordable housings that were just built or still being built throughout NY, already have a line of thousands of people filing for a unit.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
I've never seen or heard of an entire projects being moved, and with the limited space we have in this city right now, I just don't see that happening.

The affordable housings that were just built or still being built throughout NY, already have a line of thousands of people filing for a unit.
Entire projects have been demolished in Chicago, Philly, Boston, and other cities. NYC is the whole city that hasn't demolished more projects.

But Prospect Plaza in Brooklyn a few years ago made the distinction of being the first housing project complex in NYC to be demolished.

So it certainly CAN happen whenever we have a mayor willing to cut a deal with the FEDS.

But meanwhile a lot of low income housing in the city has been sold anyway.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 AM

Yes the prospect plaza houses were torn down.

Theres new construction there, prob a condo developer is going to make a lot more units within that space, then give 25% to affordable housing, and make money off the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City