Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Jamaica is a big area. I assumed when this thread popped up that people were talking about the more "urban" parts of Jamaica. Established neighborhoods like Jamaica Estates and Laurelton aren't going to change much.
The article itself was talking about downtown Jamaica. That busted up, industrial area close to the LIRR and subway, and Airtrain. Yes it will gentrify. And already big investments are being made there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The article itself was talking about downtown Jamaica. That busted up, industrial area close to the LIRR and subway, and Airtrain. Yes it will gentrify. And already big investments are being made there.
Thanks. Seems like some people went on a tangent.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Couldn't find more recent articles?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I could see Jamaica Hills and Briarwood following suit as well. Also Richmond Hill, Woodhaven and Kew Gardens.

Article did also make mention of Jamaica Estates and Kew Garden Hills in a similiar fashion as it did for Pelham Pkwy. Its just that Jamaica Center topped the list.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Couldn't find more recent articles?
Or relevant articles. A crazy person running around with an ax has nothing to do with overall crime rates, whether a neighborhood is gentrifying, etc.

I think some people here would like to think that places like Jamaica won't gentrify, because as gentrification expands they will be priced out of the city. The South Bronx is starting to gentrify and the real estate mags are starting to pimp East New York.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Yes that was in Jamaica. But people get shot and stabbed in the other trendy neighborhoods. One incedent does not condemn the entire area.
Everyone should jave moved from manhattan after 9/11 or the times square bombing incident of we are to use your logic.
You missed the point. I posted that article because of the pictures. Anyone can cherry pick photos. Once again Adsleigh park is not Jamaica. The article is about jamaica not Laurelton or cambria Heights. BTW if you go back to my first post. I stated that there were well appointed homes in Cambria Heights/Laurelton. Go back and fact check that. Jamaica Estates has always been a well coifed area. The article is pertaining to Jamaica proper. In all honestly, why not post pics from that area.

St. Albans is a middle class community in the New York City borough of Queens centered around the intersection of Linden Boulevard and Farmers Boulevard, about two miles north of JFK Airport. It is southeast of Jamaica, west of Cambria Heights, north of Springfield Gardens, and northwest of Laurelton.[2] The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 12,[3][4] and is served by the St. Albans Post Office, ZIP Code 11412. The population within the ZIP code, according to the 2010 census, was 34,882 – a decline of 7% from the 37,452 of 2000.[1]

The small western enclave of Addisleigh Park is a U.S. historic district where many notable African Americans have lived, including Jackie Robinson, W. E. B. Du Bois, and many jazz musicians and entertainers including Fats Waller, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, and Count Basie.[5]

Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
You missed the point. I posted that article because of the pictures. Anyone can cherry pick photos. Once again Adsleigh park is not Jamaica. The article is about jamaica not Laurelton or cambria Heights. BTW if you go back to my first post. I stated that there were well appointed homes in Cambria Heights/Laurelton. Go back and fact check that. Jamaica Estates has always been a well coifed area. The article is pertaining to Jamaica proper. In all honestly, why not post pics from that area.

St. Albans is a middle class community in the New York City borough of Queens centered around the intersection of Linden Boulevard and Farmers Boulevard, about two miles north of JFK Airport. It is southeast of Jamaica, west of Cambria Heights, north of Springfield Gardens, and northwest of Laurelton.[2] The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 12,[3][4] and is served by the St. Albans Post Office, ZIP Code 11412. The population within the ZIP code, according to the 2010 census, was 34,882 – a decline of 7% from the 37,452 of 2000.[1]

The small western enclave of Addisleigh Park is a U.S. historic district where many notable African Americans have lived, including Jackie Robinson, W. E. B. Du Bois, and many jazz musicians and entertainers including Fats Waller, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, and Count Basie.[5]
All those neighborhoods mentioned are part of broader Jamaica. Jamaica is not really a neighborhood per se. It's like Harlem in the sense that it's more like a big area comprised of several different neighborhoods.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
All those neighborhoods mentioned are part of broader Jamaica. Jamaica is not really a neighborhood per se. It's like Harlem in the sense that it's more like a big area comprised of several different neighborhoods.
This is true. A lot of different neighborhoods tend to go by simply Jamaica, although not in Jamaica Center. You'll see this more so for the Jamaica and LIC zip codes than you would for Flushing zip codes. Even people living in Jamaica Estates would many times just say Jamaica. Kind of like the opposite as Riverdale and the Bronx.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:24 PM

320 posts, read 283,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
That will never happen because that neighborhood is too far from Manhattan.
Maybe, maybe not Ms. Matthews, btw we debated a similar topic last week before city-data gave me a time out for few days. Thats in the past though and I am future oriented. Jamiaca may (most likely) gentrify because of it's coveted LIRR station which the people who are pricing everyone else out of NY desire. Fun fact: LIRR stations are the new up and coming trend. Forget fake diversity, quaint coffe shops and micro apartments, the hot new topic in 2016 gentrification is the lovely LIRR system. Jamaica like Sunnyside (I havent forgot our last conversation) has world renowned LIRR stations and because of that its 100 percent likely that Jamaica Queens will resemble more of Jamiaca the country. With yuppies vacationing at the world renowned sandy beaches and the old "natives" not near the niceness in the country. The yuppies going back to Jamaica NY to live near the world renowned LIRR while the old "natives"live near the ****ty belt parkway but east ny will probably **** em eventually cause that ****hole has a Brooklyn zip code. Have you heard of Jamaica Estates? If you ever end up living in 2020 Jamaica NY some of your youthful neighbors probably grew up across hillside ave up to the LIE.

As for doubting a neighborhood becomin hot, imagine telling a yuppie in both 1985 and 20 years later in 05 that in 30 and 10 years there were going to be luxury condos in the Bronx. Their condescending laughter would of made my ears bleed out and I would of basked in the moment.

Trust me, its gonna be a HOT NEW neighborhood in 2016 baby!

Old 12-21-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
Maybe, maybe not Ms. Matthews, btw we debated a similar topic last week before city-data gave me a time out for few days. Thats in the past though and I am future oriented. Jamiaca may (most likely) gentrify because of it's coveted LIRR station which the people who are pricing everyone else out of NY desire. Fun fact: LIRR stations are the new up and coming trend. Forget fake diversity, quaint coffe shops and micro apartments, the hot new topic in 2016 gentrification is the lovely LIRR system. Jamaica like Sunnyside (I havent forgot our last conversation) has world renowned LIRR stations and because of that its 100 percent likely that Jamaica Queens will resemble more of Jamiaca the country. With yuppies vacationing at the world renowned sandy beaches and the old "natives" not near the niceness in the country. The yuppies going back to Jamaica NY to live near the world renowned LIRR while the old "natives"live near the ****ty belt parkway but east ny will probably **** em eventually cause that ****hole has a Brooklyn zip code. Have you heard of Jamaica Estates? If you ever end up living in 2020 Jamaica NY some of your youthful neighbors probably grew up across hillside ave up to the LIE.

Trust me, its gonna be a HOT NEW neighborhood in 2016 baby!
I could see that. People from Queens community board 8 moving down to the other side of Hillside for the better transit options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City