Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 12:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
That could be a selling point for Jamaica, a short train ride/drive to Long Beach and The Rockaways. Where I live in Ozone Park it's only a 10 minute drive to RB, only 15 to 20 minutes to Coney Island (no traffic).
Traffic on Cross Bay Boulevard is often horrendous during the summer though. Sometimes I have to take all the side routes when I come home from Howard Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
[quote=wawaweewa;44790256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In the summer time you're a short train ride or drive to the beach. If you work for the airline industry JFK is right there.

You really should have bought in the Jamaica region and held on. Values will go up.......[/QUOTE]

What's your point?
Values are going up everywhere in NYC.

Prices in Jamaica are still much lower than in many other neighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens which should tell you something.

Prices in Jamaica are more akin to Staten Island.
That by the time the average person realizes a neighborhood has changed, it's far too late. When I worked in banking I heard the contrarian theory. If the average person thinks something is a bad investment, it's a good investment. If the average person thinks something is a good investment, it's a terrible investment because the general public is the last to know.

Behind the scenes develops cut deals with prospective corporate tenants and government agencies, so by the time it makes the news it is too late.

In short the fact that this major money is now coming into Jamaica, it tells you a lot more about Jamaica's future than certain people here who have access to know real information.

You also would have heard from the average person LIC and even Williamsburg would go nowhere. And they went somewhere. In the 90s some people predicted the death of big cities (articles written in places like the Atlantic). Now look at the nation's biggest cities.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
That could be a selling point for Jamaica, a short train ride/drive to Long Beach and The Rockaways. Where I live in Ozone Park it's only a 10 minute drive to RB, only 15 to 20 minutes to Coney Island (no traffic).
I think Jamaica needs to market itself as the gateway to Long Island.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:40 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Jamaica should push an expanded CityTicket program that includes weekdays and general fare integration for the LIRR. It's likely make a world of difference especially once the East Side Access is finished where upon the frequency of LIRR train lines can and likely will be upped substantially.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:03 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;44791188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

That by the time the average person realizes a neighborhood has changed, it's far too late. When I worked in banking I heard the contrarian theory. If the average person thinks something is a bad investment, it's a good investment. If the average person thinks something is a good investment, it's a terrible investment because the general public is the last to know.

Behind the scenes develops cut deals with prospective corporate tenants and government agencies, so by the time it makes the news it is too late.

In short the fact that this major money is now coming into Jamaica, it tells you a lot more about Jamaica's future than certain people here who have access to know real information.

You also would have heard from the average person LIC and even Williamsburg would go nowhere. And they went somewhere. In the 90s some people predicted the death of big cities (articles written in places like the Atlantic). Now look at the nation's biggest cities.
Your argument is neither here nor there.

We've had plenty of home price appreciation in NYC over the past 2 decades yet Jamaica still lags behind.
At this point in the game, we're into the lower secondary and tertiary markets. All of the low hanging fruit has been picked. There's a reason that Jamaica homes are priced as if they were on Staten Island.

Are there major corporate or government tenants in Williamsburg? There goes your theory.
What major money are you speaking of? A Target? lol

What's your thesis exactly? That everything will just go up, up, up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think Jamaica needs to market itself as the gateway to Long Island.
Nobody cares about LI apart from white people who want cheaper housing or to send their kids to "good" aka mostly white schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Jamaica should push an expanded CityTicket program that includes weekdays and general fare integration for the LIRR. It's likely make a world of difference especially once the East Side Access is finished where upon the frequency of LIRR train lines can and likely will be upped substantially.
This could potentially have a significant impact on Jamaica. It would make Jamaica accessible.

As it currently stands, an hour plus into midtown is not accessible for those that "gentrify" neighborhoods.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Jamaica cares a lot about Long Island. It is where they'll ultimately find success. A lot of people live on Long Island, and most of them are at the mercy of Jamaica for them to connect to the rest of the country. Think analytically for a change.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM

306 posts, read 283,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywriterdude View Post
in the summer time you're a short train ride or drive to the beach. If you work for the airline industry jfk is right there.

You really should have bought in the jamaica region and held on. Values will go up.......
well said , well said

Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
And how did I forget Metro Mall on metropolitan ave. Ghetto personafide. If that mall and it's patrons were in South East Jamaica it would have been viewed with disdain. That cheap clothing store next to BJ's , that depressing KMART and how can you leave out the obligatory liqour store. Drive down metropolitan ave from Metro Mall towards the CVS. You find the Salvation army and the Korean fruit stores and nail salons. Sounds and look pretty low brow to me.

For an area that you deem as superior in its offering to Jamaica it sure has a lot of trashy retail and less transportation options.

The E train from Jamaica CTR takes approximately 40 mins to get to 42nd street while making 6 stops between these two stations. The M train takes approximately 40 mins from Metropolitan ave to the 47th-50 stop.

The same time. Atleast with jamaica you have the option of taking the LIRR which is 18 mins from Jamaica to Penn station and the trains run more frequently.

So in terms of transportation option Jamaica also wins.

It's ok. You are going through some rough times living in jamaica. It is not for you. But don't pretend like it is the worse thing ever.

P.s. When I have time I will start posting photos to back up what we have been saying.
You could not say it any better , WELL SAID , WELL SAID

Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyok View Post
does Jamaica include, Jamaica estates? because Jamaica estates is way better than Glendale.
Yes Jamaica Estates is part of Jamaica it's not separate , but Jamaica Estates is a wealthy area / upper middle class , it's not middle class . 40% of houses in jamaica Estates cost million of dollars according to an article Iv read . It is one of the most beautiful and expensive area of NYC, Glendale can't be compare to this part of Jamaica

Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It's also nice to be in a low crime precinct.

Does Jamaica have a Toys r Us or BJs? Metro Mall does.

You are simply hating on another area of Queens out of jealousy. Worry about your own neighborhood, stop comparing it to others.
Jealous i am not. I assure you I could have easily purchased in Glendale. My identity is not associated with whether or not my neighbor is of European heritage. The job that pays me north of $100k is located in Jamaica. There is no reason for me to extend my commute to live in what is percieved as a marginally better neighborhood. P.s. Queens high school for the Sciences at York College is rated a 10 out of 10. It is located in Jamaica.

Queens metropolitan high school is rated a 5 out of 10. Christ the King high school is not that highly rated either.

I don't bulk shop. I don't have kids. If i did I would be more focused on giving them great experiences rather than buying junk made in China from Toys R Us. So BJ's and Toys R Us does not excite me. I have a BJ's card. Have had one for the past 7 years (a friend allows me to be added to her account my husband buys cheese and lotion. He said the membership cost to us is cheap enough to keep it as convenience). I may have visited BJ's 20 times, if that often . I don't drink juice. I rarely eat rice. I hate frozen seafood. I don't eat meat. So there isn't much that BJ sells that I need to buy.

I do venture over that direction for the amazing bread selection from Trader Joes. NYSC does not appeal to me. My employer provides multiple gym/work out areas for free and I still don't work out.

Addesliegh Park, Laurelton and Jamaica estates have much better housing stock than Glendale. Unless you think the type of residents who live in Glendale makes it inherently superior. I am not impressed just by the color of anyone's skin. It is the last thing I check when investing in real estate.

P.s. I have purchased 2 homes in the past 5 years. Both in south east Jamaica. I live in the area because it meets my needs and commuting options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City