Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:10 PM

493 posts, read 512,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Universal pre-K is a crock, except perhaps for inner-city kids being raised by an uneducated single mother. Kids on the Upper East Side need taxpayer paid pre-K?

How did my generation survive with no pre-K, and only half-day Kindergarten, which was not even academic.

You just need a couple of studies bankrolled by the teachers' union, and bang - we need pre-K (and a lot more union dues paying teachers).
Universal pre k was not created by the demand of the teachers union. It was created by the tons of parents who were low income and needed child care. There just aren't enough head starts in the city. The income limits for head start so very low. NYC is full household where both parents work. I know in many parts of the country that would mean staying home or paying day care cost. Living on one income is extremly difficult in nyc. The day care cost here are outrageous thank god I had my mother. The decent ones cost 1200 and up a month. The cheaper places I saw I wouldn't even leave my dog there.
Many states already offer pre-k way before us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Universal pre k was not created by the demand of the teachers union. It was created by the tons of parents who were low income and needed child care. There just aren't enough head starts in the city. The income limits for head start so very low. NYC is full household where both parents work. I know in many parts of the country that would mean staying home or paying day care cost. Living on one income is extremly difficult in nyc. The day care cost here are outrageous thank god I had my mother. The decent ones cost 1200 and up a month. The cheaper places I saw I wouldn't even leave my dog there.
Many states already offer pre-k way before us.
And what kind of a person would reject things that help "uneducated single mothers" ?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 PM

186 posts, read 220,263 times
So city takes in taxes and gets a surplus and now your saying tax cuts are necessary to give some of that money back to the "people who pay the most taxes".
Funny I remember a president taking office and doing the same thing, government running a surplus or at least projected to run a surplus and he issues tax cuts under the .. its the people money give it back to them and lo and behold .. less income coming in =budget deficit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: