Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times

Advertisements

Dont admit anything. Ask for the cop to speak first. I need to see accurate proof of my speed.

IF the officer has everything in order, just hope for 2 cancellations on the officers part, and the ticket gets tossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 11:25 PM

32 posts, read 26,570 times
Don't bother going to the NYC TRAFFIC COURT. YOUR GUILTY JUST WALKING INTO THE BUILDING. I got a 73/50 speeding ticket in the bronx. You can't Talk to a highway cop because he's dead set on giving you a ticket. SO a 28 year ticketless driving record is FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET!!!. I went toThe traffic court to plead guilty with an explanation "Because after all i did speed for safety reasons". Only to be told by this young administrative judge that my clean 28 year clean driving record means NOTHING. They Don't even look up your license information on the computers in front of them. You are either guilty or not guilty. Not guilty means a hearing with the officer.
THE DMV COURT IN NYC WILL TAKE THE WORD OF AN OFFICER OVER ANY MOTORIST. ONLY IN NYC THEY WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO PLEAD YOUR CHARGE DOWN. THE DMV IS THE JUDGE AND JURY. To make matters worse the court fine you paid IS not ENOUGH!!! You will get SOCKED! WITH A DRIVER RESPOSIBLITY ACCESSMENT FEE TO BOOT. SO thinking that there was some form of human element involved in our traffic court system. I found out the hard way that there is no such thing as DUE PROCESS AT A NYC
DMV TRAFFIC COURT.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 AM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
my experience too .... 100% innocent or 100% guilty .. my 30 plus years of clean driving record never came in to play ..

unlike long island or westchester this is not court . there is no prosecutor or real judge . it is an administrative hearing ..

at best , if you are close to the lower point level you can get them to reduce the points based on radar accuracy but you need to be close to that change over line . it was a waste of time when i went ...

Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 16,707 times
Only saving graces is A PBA card or higher, ive been clocked doing 110 and 145 (don't ask) most I've gotten was yelled at, the second one was a trooper on the whitestone, got me with laser im surprised i even got off tbh a good radar detector and will help in most situations. Lasers you'll need a pricey jammer which is illegal.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:05 AM

The Whitestone almost always has a trooper hidden from view towards the end of the bridge

Old 02-17-2019, 08:55 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
This is White Plains, but I did go to traffic court. I pleaded guilty. By showing up (no lawyer) I had my ticket cut in half.

Good to know about NYC traffic courts being so bad.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 AM

White plains is very different then nyc .. you can plea bargain.. nyc is not a court and it has different rules.. there is no judge , no prosecutor and no actual court ...it is a dmv hearing held at the dmv with an administrator

Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice View Post
Don't bother going to the NYC TRAFFIC COURT. YOUR GUILTY JUST WALKING INTO THE BUILDING. I got a 73/50 speeding ticket in the bronx. You can't Talk to a highway cop because he's dead set on giving you a ticket. SO a 28 year ticketless driving record is FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET!!!. I went toThe traffic court to plead guilty with an explanation "Because after all i did speed for safety reasons". Only to be told by this young administrative judge that my clean 28 year clean driving record means NOTHING. They Don't even look up your license information on the computers in front of them. You are either guilty or not guilty. Not guilty means a hearing with the officer.
THE DMV COURT IN NYC WILL TAKE THE WORD OF AN OFFICER OVER ANY MOTORIST. ONLY IN NYC THEY WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO PLEAD YOUR CHARGE DOWN. THE DMV IS THE JUDGE AND JURY. To make matters worse the court fine you paid IS not ENOUGH!!! You will get SOCKED! WITH A DRIVER RESPOSIBLITY ACCESSMENT FEE TO BOOT. SO thinking that there was some form of human element involved in our traffic court system. I found out the hard way that there is no such thing as DUE PROCESS AT A NYC
DMV TRAFFIC COURT.

I beat a "no left turn" ticket at 34th and Madison in 1991, and more importantly a speeding ticket on the Henry Hudson in the Bronx in in July 1982. I took both tickets to trial. In the case of speeding ticket I asked that the officer be directed to explain how he calibrated the radar in terms tjat I could understand. Instead he repeated his testimony word for word. In other words, it was clear that he did not calibrated the radar. When I testified I told the Court that I was going " maybe a mile or less than 50 miles an hour or maybe a mile or two more, but certainly not 62. The Judge said "I'm cutting off the testimony and finding you not guilty." The Judge then asked if I was a lawyer and I said "not yet but hopefully I passed the bar."

The traffic light was even easier. My photos showed that the "no left turn" sign may not be visible from the direction I was traveling if there was wind.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I beat a "no left turn" ticket at 34th and Madison in 1991, and more importantly a speeding ticket on the Henry Hudson in the Bronx in in July 1982. I took both tickets to trial. In the case of speeding ticket I asked that the officer be directed to explain how he calibrated the radar in terms tjat I could understand. Instead he repeated his testimony word for word. In other words, it was clear that he did not calibrated the radar. When I testified I told the Court that I was going " maybe a mile or less than 50 miles an hour or maybe a mile or two more, but certainly not 62. The Judge said "I'm cutting off the testimony and finding you not guilty." The Judge then asked if I was a lawyer and I said "not yet but hopefully I passed the bar."

The traffic light was even easier. My photos showed that the "no left turn" sign may not be visible from the direction I was traveling if there was wind.
You can’t compare 1991 to now ....we have no more court in nyc and no prosecutors and judges .. it was all done away with and with it went plea bargaining...you get a dmv hearing at motor vehicles now and there is only 100% guilty or 100% innocent ..the only exception is if you are just over the limit for getting more points speeding you can argue the accuracy of the radar ...they have the leeway if you are just over the bracket to roll you back from a few miles over.

What is wrong with the current NYC traffic courts:
There is no plea bargaining, every ticket goes to trial.
All traffic tickets in NYC are handled by DMV employees (ALJ's) appointed in Albany, not real, elected Judges.
The burden of proof is "clear and convincing evidence" not "beyond a reasonable doubt."
Cases are exempt from the Criminal Procedure Law, applicable to all other traffic courts in New York State.
Defendants can not ask the police officer what conduct they are accused of. Defendants are not entitled notice which is a right in every other Traffic Court in the State. NY CPL 100.25.(2). This means no opportunity to prepare for trial.
Cases often take several years to proceed to trial.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:42 PM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Cases often take several years to proceed to trial.
That at least has the benefit of a large possibility of the officer pulling a no-show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City