Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:41 AM

5,041 posts, read 4,914,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Americas entitlement and laziness is contagious. Let's give out participation awards and tell every kid they are special.
That is a different issue and could be discussed in a different thread. But anyone who adores cutting throat competitive life style from infancy might consider moving Japan for an experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 09:48 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,176,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is a different issue and could be discussed in a different thread. But anyone who adores cutting throat competitive life style from infancy might consider moving Japan for an experience.
Newsflash.

The world is cutthroat and kids are now competing globally.
If th ou don't want to, fine.

But don't complain when others do.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,415,302 times
I bet the people in this thread defending the "Asian tiger" thing would probably not have done well in such an environment, but they've been out of school for so long that they don't care.

Also you have to understand that the level of academic rigor found in much of East Asia is far more intense than anything Americans have experienced in public school, so it's not fair to tell American kids to just "suck it up". I'm pretty sure kids in China go to school 6 days a week and the ones who can afford it go to cram schools and get tutors. And of course I have nothing against Asian kids doing well, more power to them, but the nature of public schools shouldn't make kids feel like garbage if they don't do insanely well.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,415,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Isn't it interesting how Asians manage to outperform most other groups in public education without the benefit of being taught by Asian teachers?

Is there a secret-to-our-success formula here that the perennially underperforming black and hispanic students can learn from? Or is playing racial politics still their number one preference over receiving a good education from the best teachers, no matter their race?
Speaking on Latino-Americans, I think collectively they have a good work ethic, but they don't place enough emphasis on school. This is a generalization of course and I don't mean to offend anyone, and I think that Latino students are starting to do better collectively. And this doesn't mean Asian kids are "better" or whatever. It's that while Asian-Americans place a lot of emphasis on school, keep in mind that East Asian emphasis on academics dates back probably thousands of years, and while they've had big issues with things like poverty, at least their identity remained intact more or less and the emphasis on school remained.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:41 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,176,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I bet the people in this thread defending the "Asian tiger" thing would probably not have done well in such an environment, but they've been out of school for so long that they don't care.
ll.
Or we are grateful for the values of our parents and know from personal experience that the "downsides" are highly exaggerated by the media (as most things are to create dramatic effect).

Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 AM

17,876 posts, read 15,807,891 times
About this qualified for admittance to NYU. What exactly do you need to qualify again? Is it just grades?

If it is just grades, then no, there are plenty of other races out in the burbs who qualify too.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Also you have to understand that the level of academic rigor found in much of East Asia is far more intense than anything Americans have experienced in public school, so it's not fair to tell American kids to just "suck it up". I'm pretty sure kids in China go to school 6 days a week and the ones who can afford it go to cram schools and get tutors. And of course I have nothing against Asian kids doing well, more power to them, but the nature of public schools shouldn't make kids feel like garbage if they don't do insanely well.
I believe in high school is not mandatory in China,

Plus if it is taught like anything in USA, then it is largely just a waste of time anyways.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Newsflash.

The world is cutthroat and kids are now competing globally.
If th ou don't want to, fine.

But don't complain when others do.
If that is the case, why not just go all out total war?

What is the point in competing in a spelling bee especially when you are competing globally to receive the lowest wage?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,825,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is the point in competing in a spelling bee?
Then point is the majority of parents who pay the taxes and vote in these districts want it. Fair enough. It's no different from the parents in the other distrit who want to pay for elite sports so their kids can have a shot at athletic scholarships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City