Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:39 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I have made my point clear and if you don't get it, it is your problem. You can stay defensive of your beloved pathetic asian parenting style as your peers practice at the WW schools and even subject your kids to the same viciously competitive environment until all others fall out so your kids will be the ultimate winners...
I wasn't brought up that way and neither were any of my Asian friends. I always did whatever and whenever I wanted. And frankly I think I've reached a state of knowledge and understanding like most educated Americans where I can guide my kids on the possibilities that this world has to offer so I don't need my kids to compete for that 17% Asian quota.

And my problem with your statements is that you think that all Asians are tiger parents. You do that to discredit any talents that their kids may actually have as if they all need to study to do well. I've known plenty that don't study and get almost all A's which still means nothing since normal school material is easy. For you if it isn't tiger parenting it's all those tutoring centers. But guess what, they were dominating well before those existed and were dominating well before any of them could afford all those extracurricular activities which all well off suburban parents engage in. I guess you've never interacted with well off educated white suburbanites before to find out that they all put their kids through the same thing and then some. And the educated ones are very objective and what I feel to be cut throat since they focus their financial resources on their best kid so that they don't have to pay the 2k a month for horseback riding and 60k a year in tuition on the dumb one. If little Jimmy isn't getting as many A's as Sarah he'll get nudged to go to a state school. So sure it's not Amy Chua tiger parenting, but nevertheless it's just as pathetic.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-04-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That's awfully racist of you to assume that a black doctor can't be as knowledgeable as an Asian professor.

I've actually noticed an influx of Caribbean and Hispanic rappers on Yo! MTV Raps. Makes sense that we've both noticed these demographic shifts. Just that my source is probably the lead indicator since yours wastes too much time studying irrelevant topics. Particularly ones outside of the US.
A Black professor can be knowledgeable as an Asian professor. Doctor Dre is just plain unqualified!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I wasn't brought up that way and neither were any of my Asian friends. I always did whatever and whenever I wanted. And frankly I think I've reached a state of knowledge and understanding like most educated Americans where I can guide my kids on the possibilities that this world has to offer so I don't need my kids to compete for that 17% Asian quota.

And my problem with your statements is that you think that all Asians are tiger parents. You do that to discredit any talents that their kids may actually have as if they all need to study to do well. I've known plenty that don't study and get almost all A's which still means nothing since normal school material is easy. For you if it isn't tiger parenting it's all those tutoring centers. But guess what, they were dominating well before those existed and were dominating well before any of them could afford all those extracurricular activities which all well off suburban parents engage in. I guess you've never interacted with well off educated white suburbanites before to find out that they all put their kids through the same thing and then some. And the educated ones are very objective and what I feel to be cut throat since they focus their financial resources on their best kid so that they don't have to pay the 2k a month for horseback riding and 60k a year in tuition on the dumb one. If little Jimmy isn't getting as many A's as Sarah he'll get nudged to go to a state school. So sure it's not Amy Chua tiger parenting, but nevertheless it's just as pathetic.
Then those kids must be going to crappy, easy high schools. At the Ivy League itself I've not met one person who had a high GPA who didn't have to work hard and this includes people of all races.

At any real school one has to hand in homework, tax examinations, write papers, etc. All of this is a lot of work.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A Black professor can be knowledgeable as an Asian professor. Doctor Dre is just plain unqualified!
But this isn't the same Dr. Dre from NWA. Maybe that is the reason for the confusion. Nevermind, I got some mathematics to go attend to right now. It comes so naturally to me.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Then those kids must be going to crappy, easy high schools. At the Ivy League itself I've not met one person who had a high GPA who didn't have to work hard and this includes people of all races.

At any real school one has to hand in homework, tax examinations, write papers, etc. All of this is a lot of work.
Should have been specific. It's public schools in NYC. Or NY State for that matter since they take the same exams.

In college it also depends on your major, for hard science classes sometimes there's only a project, midterm, and final. If you understand the material and if the exam isn't constructed in a way that tests you're detailed knowledge of terms and definitions then there are definitely many who can ace it without studying.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-04-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Should have been specific. It's public schools in NYC. Or NY State for that matter since they take the same exams.

In college it also depends on your major, for hard science classes sometimes there's only a project, midterm, and final. If you understand the material and if the exam isn't constructed in a way that tests you're detailed knowledge of terms and definitions then there are definitely many who can ace it without studying.
If you understand the material (and you like the subject) you certainly have a much easier time doing it. At the graduate level in many ways it's easier because people go to grad school in subjects that they have backgrounds in both academically and professionally.

But of course those people who understand the material understand it because they did the work and they had the background in the subject.

People who really like a subject (say the sciences) often spend a lot of their time outside of class dealing with that subject. When you do that of course you don't have study nearly as hard, because you already know more.

You actually see this at all levels of education. People who learn on their own will have a lot easier time in class. That is certainly fun for them, but it is learning as well.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:43 PM

But with all that said, NO ONE GETS ANYWHERE BY BEING MAGICALLY SMART. You have to demonstrate an ability to do the work.

Doing the work means actually going to class and being physically there. It means doing the homework, whatever examinations, or papers that must be done.

It also means building up your portfolio for your college application. Of course the college application itself is a lot of work.

I'll point this out because if you go into any bar there's always at least one person who is extremely articulate and called "smart" by everyone else. Of course this type of "smart" person never has the credentials to back it up, and that's what it really comes down to in terms of getting employment and having people listen to you.

No one including the educational system recognizes smart. They recognize your ability to work and to follow procedure.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
They are pretty common and the ones who get into top universities ALL come from that background. They did a lot of WORK to get into a top university. People of any race who get into a top university are either wealthy, and or did they did substantial work to get into the university.

A guy I know as a teenager in high school (he was Latino) had written for the New York Times in high school. So he got into Cornell. You're competing with that kind of talent base when you want to apply to a top school, graduate or undergraduate.

You have to have a good portfolio along with your good grades to get into a top school, so the parents of kids who make it (of any race) tended to invest a lot of money and time in their kids educations. I didn't meet dirt poor Asians in the Ivy League, but I certainly met plenty of well off ones. A minimum wage person working in the Chinese restaurant isn't sending their kid to Harvard or any of the Ivies. But a Tiger mom certainly is sending her kids to a top university.
I believe I'd debated with you on this a while back. I personally knew someone who was of color who had more acceptances due to his skin color in the NYC public school system. Even he admitted that was true. Of course this was a few decades ago. To be precise, he was the top 15% of the graduating class. Yale traditionally only took in top 3% in the class...4-5% is a maybe. No doubt he worked hard but he was far from being very top tier of the graduating class.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I believe I'd debated with you on this a while back. I personally knew someone who was of color who had more acceptances due to his skin color in the NYC public school system. Even he admitted that was true. Of course this was a few decades ago. To be precise, he was the top 15% of the graduating class. Yale traditionally only took in top 3% in the class...4-5% is a maybe. No doubt he worked hard but he was far from being very top tier of the graduating class.
So then if it was a few decades ago it isn't relevant. We're dealing with TODAY, not a FEW DECADES AGO!

Did you not get into Yale while this person did, btw?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:24 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
So then if it was a few decades ago it isn't relevant. We're dealing with TODAY, not a FEW DECADES AGO!

Did you not get into Yale while this person did, btw?
I got accepted into the ivys but didn't apply to Yale. fyi, I was happy for him. he's a great guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City