Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I work with tons of Asians and went to schools with tons of Asians. In particular Chinese Students.

You have to take their GPA and SAT scores with a huge grain of salt. They are inflated.

First many go to "cram schools", go to Flushing and there are 9-5 summer tutor sessions where kids do entire school year ahead of time. My two friends parents enrolled them for instance summer after ninth grade a whole intensive summer of going over tenth grade work with same text books. They had a huge head start. Then they hired expensive private SAT tutors to go over SAT. My HS they actually hired "illegally" contributors of questions to current SAT. Then many work zero part time or summer jobs or do much sports or errands around house. Study is their 100% focus.

My tenth grade for instance. I was on track team, a few clubs, had a part time job, a full time summer job. Some days I do track 3-5, scarf down food, do a part time job 6-9 pm in retail, come home take out trash, do laundry etc. then in last 15-20 minutes squeeze in home work or many on bus in morning. And we had four kids in a small house

Compare that to the richer Asian kids near me, 1 -2 kids in a larger house with a maid and lawn service, no chores and parents on top of then to do at least 3-4 hours or homework each night.

In reality in real world there is no way to "curve" their GPA to a blue collar or inner city kids GPA. But I tell you what the rich Asian kid who almost got a perfect GPA in my rich HS in Long Island I bet you the kid in a crack head, gang ridden part of the worst part of the Bronx who got a B average that was a greater accomplishement.
The rich Asian kid though will likely be able to perform better at an major university. If you put a poor kid with a B average at a top university, said it is much more likely to have major problems and their graduation rate is going to be lower.

I feel that you are disparaging the work of these kids. So what if they don't work during high school. It's not really a kids job to work during high school. It means these kids had parents who took care of their kids and got them to focus on a future. If they studied hard that is a FULL TIME job in itself and they do deserve credit.

They'll get into a good university and graduate and have good career options ahead of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Both of my parents never even went to High School, could care less if I did home work, never went to school things, were dirt poor, never made me lunch for school in HS or gave me any money for lunch or clothes since age of 12. And between chores, working to pay for clothes and food homework was something you had to do after 11pm if you were not exhusted.

All of my friends and siblings and cousins 100% have graduate degrees and around 40% post graduate degrees, doctors, lawyers, Principals.

I feel bad for my kids in that they dont have to work during HS and I can help them with college. Poverty, hungry, lack of clothes, living in a dangerous neighborhood are great motivators.

I dont think you can instill in a kids mind anything. My kids all they see is my corner office at work, beach house and new cars. And sadly they are in that stupid Gifted and Talented program. Which overinflates their ego.

My kids are they really achieving anything? I pay for laptops, Ipads, high speed internet, go to all their programs, run to staples for supplies, drive them early or pick up late for school projects, they dont have to work even let them skip chores if tests or projects due.
You're the parent and as the parent if you have the funds you should be paying for them.

The flip side is that poor kids who have to work ****ty minimum wage jobs to help out with family finances have lower graduation rates from both high school and college.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Going to a good school does not mean you will have a great work career. Many NYC companies don't hire Ivy League grads because they just aren't that hungry for success. The big question will be in 20 years from now, what differences will these kids bring to society.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're the parent and as the parent if you have the funds you should be paying for them.

The flip side is that poor kids who have to work ****ty minimum wage jobs to help out with family finances have lower graduation rates from both high school and college.
Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton lots of Presidents dirt poor and paid their own way through school.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton lots of Presidents dirt poor and paid their own way through school.
You're speaking of things that happened decades ago and you are not dealing with current reality.

Realistically people whose parents pay for everything and who have comfortable lifestyles have an advantage by far.

If you're talking about top universities it costs 60k or so to go to an Ivy, Duke, Stanford, etc.

Obviously those kids don't work way through college (though some may work part time).

You sound like a miserable old person jealous that some kids have it easy compared to you have it. And yes those kids will blow their competitors out of the water.

There's no reason for anyone with a family with money to struggle in dead in loser jobs that take away time from their studies and time from other things they need to do (internships, research, etc) that prepare for a worthwhile career.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Going to a good school does not mean you will have a great work career. Many NYC companies don't hire Ivy League grads because they just aren't that hungry for success. The big question will be in 20 years from now, what differences will these kids bring to society.
And yet enough of them are successful than Ivy League Universities have multibillion dollar endowments.

Of course not everyone Ivy League is going to make a lot of money, but disproportionately high income earners and top government officials are Ivy League or other top schools.

Much of the hiring done by NYC companies is crappy low level office work. The real good jobs are there, but there aren't that many of them.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
I work with tons of Asians and went to schools with tons of Asians. In particular Chinese Students.

You have to take their GPA and SAT scores with a huge grain of salt. They are inflated.

First many go to "cram schools", go to Flushing and there are 9-5 summer tutor sessions where kids do entire school year ahead of time. My two friends parents enrolled them for instance summer after ninth grade a whole intensive summer of going over tenth grade work with same text books. They had a huge head start. Then they hired expensive private SAT tutors to go over SAT. My HS they actually hired "illegally" contributors of questions to current SAT. Then many work zero part time or summer jobs or do much sports or errands around house. Study is their 100% focus.

My tenth grade for instance. I was on track team, a few clubs, had a part time job, a full time summer job. Some days I do track 3-5, scarf down food, do a part time job 6-9 pm in retail, come home take out trash, do laundry etc. then in last 15-20 minutes squeeze in home work or many on bus in morning. And we had four kids in a small house

Compare that to the richer Asian kids near me, 1 -2 kids in a larger house with a maid and lawn service, no chores and parents on top of then to do at least 3-4 hours or homework each night.

In reality in real world there is no way to "curve" their GPA to a blue collar or inner city kids GPA. But I tell you what the rich Asian kid who almost got a perfect GPA in my rich HS in Long Island I bet you the kid in a crack head, gang ridden part of the worst part of the Bronx who got a B average that was a greater accomplishement.
I think you can remove the word Asian from your post and it would make perfect sense. Also remove Flushing and plug in whatever tutoring centers are available in the suburbs. Or else you would leave me to believe that all Asians are rich and have maids. If you bother reading any of what was posted prior you'd understand that your arguments hold no water and is just another Asian hate rant.

And it seems like you grew up pretty rich yourself by my standards. I didn't know a single person that I went to school with that could afford to live in a small house with a few kids growing up. Most of us either lived in the projects or crappy roach infested apartments. And when I was growing up the Asian kids living in the poorest parts of the city were getting most of the A's.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-05-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Of course not, but I'd say on average those that go to good schools have better careers than those who don't.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 12,808 times
Quote:

You sound like all Asians are rich families, maid, lawn services, 1-2 kids...
From all the Asian families I know, if they have only 2 kids that is because they can't afford a 3rd one. They will have 5 kids if they are rich, you can trust me on this one.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You're speaking of things that happened decades ago and you are not dealing with current reality.

Realistically people whose parents pay for everything and who have comfortable lifestyles have an advantage by far.

If you're talking about top universities it costs 60k or so to go to an Ivy, Duke, Stanford, etc.

Obviously those kids don't work way through college (though some may work part time).

You sound like a miserable old person jealous that some kids have it easy compared to you have it. And yes those kids will blow their competitors out of the water.

There's no reason for anyone with a family with money to struggle in dead in loser jobs that take away time from their studies and time from other things they need to do (internships, research, etc) that prepare for a worthwhile career.
Actually I am a multimillionaire with several homes and a big waterview corner office. I am the one who out-shines the Ivy League kids.

Part of my success was I had at least 20-30 jobs from age 10-22. When I did consulting and would visit various companies in early part of career it was useful. From 16-18 I was I worked for Nassau County, I also worked at Barclays bank from 18-19 as a full time employee while going to school full time and I worked at MasterCard from 19-22 30 hours a week, plus at 22 I had a staff of 40 working for me at a bank. Then I got into a white shoe Investment Bank's management training program with mainly Ivy league kids, who were smart but really had no work experience. I basically had 6 years of working in offices at various jobs.

And the dead end jobs I had from 12-16 bike repair, newspaper boy, auto repair, house painter, plumbers assistant all jobs that require no working papers were great. I would name drop all the time all the cool folks I met at jobs.

I paid 100% for my own college and own MBA with no loans. It is sad that kids today leave college and enter workforce fairly useless. Heck I hired a guy once from New Jersey and the dope did not even know how to pump gas in the rental car. I was like I could take the engine out of car and rebuild it when I was 16 and you are 26 with a fancy degree and you cant pump gas. All he could say was in NJ they pump it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City