Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 704 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would greatly appreciate some guidance on my situation! I'm currently renting a apartment in NYC with one other roommate. My roommate is the leaseholder of the apartment and I signed a "agreement to sublet with co-tenancy between sublessor and sublessee" with him and not the LL.

I signed a sublease for one year term and am currently 5 months into the term. Due to restructuring at the company, I was notified that I will be transferring to another office out of state in 3 months (8 months into term and with 4 months remaining on my lease). I have already paid my roommate a deposit that is equivalent to 2 months rent.

There is no termination clause on ending sublease early. Only that there shall be no holding over under the terms of the sublease agreement under any circumstances.

How to I terminate the sublease early? What are my obligations as the subtenant?

1. Do I give 2 months notice to my roommate that I will be leaving? Is he responsible for finding another subtenant for the remaining 4 months of my term?
2. Even with 2 months notice, is there a penalty to pay my roommate? would he expect to keep my 2 months deposit?
3. Or am I responsible for the remaining 4 months of my term? Do I either have to pay the remaining term or find another person to sublet for 4 months?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: