U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 101,275 times

Advertisements

Specifically Henry St in Brooklyn Heights. Is it nice, safe, etc? thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,402,735 times
Well yes, it doesn't get better in Brooklyn, than living in Brooklyn Heights. If you can afford.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

111 posts, read 221,068 times
Brooklyn Heights is great (Henry Street is right in the middle of the Heights). Definitely safe and convenient (minutes) to Manhattan. Very expensive though.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM

430 posts, read 728,361 times
The safety of Brooklyn Heights is slightly overstated, here and elsewhere. If you look at those crime maps that pop up from time to time, quite a bit of crime happens there. I think it's because criminals from other nearby parts of Brooklyn (like all those projects south of Boerum Hill and north of Atlantic Yards) think the Heights is "where the money is".

So I'd say it's safe, but not as safe as most people think it is.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

308 posts, read 2,420,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
The safety of Brooklyn Heights is slightly overstated, here and elsewhere. If you look at those crime maps that pop up from time to time, quite a bit of crime happens there. I think it's because criminals from other nearby parts of Brooklyn (like all those projects south of Boerum Hill and north of Atlantic Yards) think the Heights is "where the money is".

So I'd say it's safe, but not as safe as most people think it is.

No where you go it's 100% safe. Crime can happen, and it does, anywhere.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,042,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Well yes, it doesn't get better in Brooklyn, than living in Brooklyn Heights. If you can afford.
I think Clinton Hill will give it a run for its money but yes Brooklyn Heights is the ish.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM

510 posts, read 2,144,967 times
Blimp:
If I am not mistaken those crime maps include Vinegar Hill as part of Brooklyn Heights. There are some not-so-savory projects over in those parts adjacent to DUMBO. Even so, according to the NYMag map the crime stats are very similar to Park Slope.

I have never felt even remotely unsafe in Brooklyn Heights when alone, late at night. I have many friends in prime Heights areas (like Henry St.) and none of them have ever had any trouble. I personally think it is one of the nicest places in all of NYC, not just Brooklyn, and it would be on my short list of "money is no object" places to live. Beautiful views, very historic, great scenery, etc. Only negative I can say is that it may be a little boring and that the shops and restaurants on Montague St. are passable at best.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM

510 posts, read 2,144,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I think Clinton Hill will give it a run for its money but yes Brooklyn Heights is the ish.
Two words:
G Train

Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,854,964 times
Clinton Hill doesn't hold a candle to Brooklyn Heights. Henry Street is very nice and in my opinion, Brooklyn Heights is by far the best neighborhood to live outside of Manhattan.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 PM

10 posts, read 101,275 times
thank you for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: