Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM

481 posts, read 427,465 times

Advertisements

A fella and his girlfriend were gifted a stay at a NYC hotel by a relative for his birthday. When the girlfriend woke up with a rash, they took a closer look at the room they slept in and discovered the worst bedbug infestation they'd ever seen.

It's pretty gnarly seeing the critters scramble away when he lifts the mattress.
"An Unforgettable Nightmare": Bed Bug-Infested Hotel Stay Was A 30th Birthday Gift: Gothamist

I will admit to laughing when he made this silly, painfully naive comment:

"This is no joke. We're not staying in the Bronx...we're not staying in Brooklyn...we're not staying Queens... This is Manhattan!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Another reason to be careful with Air BnB too, you never know who you are letting into your place and where they have stayed in the past and might have picked up lol.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 PM

243 posts, read 310,063 times
That hotel doesn't look upscale at all. I'm not surprised. It looked like 100 year old building that hasn't been touched or renovated in ages. I'm not shocked that happened. I'm a bit shocked it happened with this cold weather because they typically don't move in cold weather and that room doesn't have heat without the heater plugged in.

I hope they give them more than a free room and a refund. That place should be quarantined. I feel so bad for them.

Yes, agreed. More reason to stop AirBNB.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:16 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
^ Newness has nothing to do with it. Plenty of older hotels are safe and I'm sure brand spanking new ones have their share of bedbugs.

I stayed in a new hotel (opened for only a month) and got bitten by something. I had red, itchy rashes on my legs. I never found the bugs but asked to switch rooms and it stopped.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I got mysterious (or not so mysterious) bites last Winter that I strongly suspect were during a performance at Symphony Space and I won't to go back to that theater again for ANYTHING.

I went NUTS bug-proofing my apartment for two months after and I don't want to go through all that aggravation and fear again. But all seems well.

I doubt that I could allow myself to sleep in a hotel anymore.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-05-2016 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I got mysterious (or not so mysterious) bites last Winter that I strongly suspect were during a performance at Symphony Space and I won't to go back to that theater again for ANYTHING.

I went NUTS bug-proofing my apartment for two months after and I don't want to go through all that aggravation and fear again. But all seems well.

I doubt that I could allow myself to sleep in a hotel anymore.
My friend who is a travel writer says your more likely to get them from buses or planes than a bed.
I'm a all natural person but I say bring out the high intensity chemicals and kill these things. They say the bugs became resistant to those chemicals and banning them isn't why why have break outs again. I don't believe it.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:37 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
They say the bugs became resistant to those chemicals and banning them isn't why why have break outs again. I don't believe it.

Neither do I.
DDT should be allowed for prophylactic in-wall use in multi-family locations. (I am sure I have no bald eagles in my walls.)
At the very least it should be allowed for proven infestations, especially since nothing else seems to kill them except high heat.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:49 PM

320 posts, read 283,157 times
Stza Crack was probably squatting under their bed after being evicted from C squat which some hipster who listens to leftover crack was recently ripped off when she-he (its unisexual) decided to buy high.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:51 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
They're obviously not a clean hotel at all, but really, you get what you pay for. It's a really low-quality hotel so I'm not really surprised. Doesn't make it OK as such - plenty of cheap places don't have crazy bed bugs - but still...

Old 01-05-2016, 03:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
They're obviously not a clean hotel at all, but really, you get what you pay for. It's a really low-quality hotel so I'm not really surprised. Doesn't make it OK as such - plenty of cheap places don't have crazy bed bugs - but still...
Yes but they can be any where cheap place or not. There is an uprsise of bed bugs in Atlantic city recently. Those are not cheap hotels but they still have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City