Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Gentrifiers Drive Up Bushwick Burglary Rate by Leaving Doors Unlocked: NYPD
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-unlocked-nypd
duh....I wasnt referring to the gentrified neighborhoods, I was asking about Hunts Point.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows
Bushwick robberies on the rise due to residents not locking doors, windows | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Gentrifiers Drive Up Bushwick Burglary Rate by Leaving Doors Unlocked: NYPD
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-unlocked-nypd
What kind of clueless people (OK, I'll be a bit uncivil here and call them idiots) leave doors and/or windows unlocked, regardless of where they live (whether in New York City or Peoria, Illinois or Nome, Alaska or Cheyenne, Wyoming or out in a rural farmlands area)? Would they leave their motor vehicles unlocked as well wherever they park their vehicles?

Or leave their laptop computer unattended on a public or college library table and go to another floor of the library?

Some people just lack in common sense and wisdom. I mean if your window is on a high floor of an apartment buiilding and there are no fire escapes anywhere outside, then perhaps you can leave your window open when you leave home. But why even bother leaving it open even in THAT case? Insects and other vermin can gain easier entry to your home that way, for instance.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
What kind of clueless people (OK, I'll be a bit uncivil here and call them idiots) leave doors and/or windows unlocked, regardless of where they live (whether in New York City or Peoria, Illinois or Nome, Alaska or Cheyenne, Wyoming or out in a rural farmlands area)? Would they leave their motor vehicles unlocked as well wherever they park their vehicles?

Or leave their laptop computer unattended on a public or college library table and go to another floor of the library?

Some people just lack in common sense and wisdom. I mean if your window is on a high floor of an apartment buiilding and there are no fire escapes anywhere outside, then perhaps you can leave your window open when you leave home. But why even bother leaving it open even in THAT case? Insects and other vermin can gain easier entry to your home that way, for instance.
This is becoming more and more common I think. My building recently had the first robbery in over 25 years.
The victim left the Windows onto the fire escape on the back of the building wide open and went to work. Then I read in a local rag that there has been a increase in the neighborhood in the last year of fire escape break ins,only none of them are really "break" ins......more like fire escape walk ins.

When the guy in my building came home his front door was unlocked so he told the cops "maybe I left my door open when I left for work". Cops finally figured out they came in through the window and left through the door because the elevator and lobby cameras showed them leaving the building but not entering.

So,the guy not only left his windows onto the fire escape wide open all the time but couldn't remember whether he had locked his door.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 AM

481 posts, read 427,497 times
I dated someone who tended to leave his front door unlocked when he left. He lived downtown in Little Italy and later in Astoria. He said he didn't think he had anything worth stealing. This was about 8 years ago.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is becoming more and more common I think. My building recently had the first robbery in over 25 years.
The victim left the Windows onto the fire escape on the back of the building wide open and went to work. Then I read in a local rag that there has been a increase in the neighborhood in the last year of fire escape break ins,only none of them are really "break" ins......more like fire escape walk ins.

When the guy in my building came home his front door was unlocked so he told the cops "maybe I left my door open when I left for work". Cops finally figured out they came in through the window and left through the door because the elevator and lobby cameras showed them leaving the building but not entering.

So,the guy not only left his windows onto the fire escape wide open all the time but couldn't remember whether he had locked his door.
Not very bright on his part (i.e., with him knowing that he has a fire escape that anyone can get access to and yet, knowing this, he still decides to leave his window open). And then he "doesn't remember" if he locked his door? Isn't the very first thing you do when you exit your door is to grab your keys and lock your door? Note that I have a prominent sign on the insiide surface of my home door (which I made) that I see before exiting my home which, among other things, reminds me to make sure that all windows are locked, alll windows shades or coverings are down, all phone ringers are turned off, and reminds me to lock the door (all the locks) ,. , , and then gives me a list of take-alongs to be sure that I have on-my-person before I exit the home (e.g., wallet, IDs, my neck-worn lanyard containing all my keys, smartphone & charger + spare battery with its charger, mini pocketable umbrella, pens, et al).

NOTE
:
Various persons in this thread (including yourself) refer to someone entering a residence or non-residence while no one is there and then stealing the goods located on said premises as a "robbery." Actually, the applicable term for this is a "burglary." "Robbery" is when someone holds you up (threatens you and/or subdues or incapacitates you) and then makes off with the items they intend to steal.

Per the web (http://www.asecurelife.com/burglary-vs-robbery/):

1. "Robbery" is defined by the law as taking or trying to take something from someone that has value by utilizing intimidation, force or threat. In order for robbery to take place, a victim must be present at the scene and can occur with a single victim or, in cases like bank hold ups, multiple victims.
  2. "Burglary" is defined by the law as the unlawful entry to a structure to commit theft or a felony. In order for burglary to take place, a victim does not have to be present.

Last edited by UsAll; 01-06-2016 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 06:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

I'll admit the window to the fire escape has been left open by us accidentally before---luckily, the two old ladies who have patios outback are always home. We were feeding our friend's cat and he left his window to the fire escape open the entire time he was on vacation!

As for robberies, my husband sometimes just invites them in---I have come home probably three times with his keys left in the front door ALL NIGHT. That just really gets me pissed off.

During the spring/summer, we have a window that isn't really accessible that we almost always leave open.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Midtown South leads in murders? That doesn't seem right to me, it's usually a major news story when someone does get killed there.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
So they don't even lock the front doors any more over there? Haven't been back in a good 17 years and thought that things were looking up and up.

Clueless white persons moving into a hood but still believing they are living in Kansas. *LOL*

Posted a link at the time regarding crime rate increase in Bushwick caused by transplants not locking their doors/windows.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:36 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Midtown South leads in murders? That doesn't seem right to me, it's usually a major news story when someone does get killed there.
It is somewhat misleading as it is based on a per resident basis. Very few people (relatively speaking) live in Midtown South, although more people are pretty much in that area than any other part of the city on a daily basis.

The amount of incidents there per resident makes it appear high when in fact the amount of incidents per person that is actually in the area is likely very low.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Look at burglary - all gentrifying neighborhoods except for Hunts Point. What are they stealing up there??
Burglaries always happen to areas with lots of apts and good avg income locations.

It's too easy to get into a big apt as a delivery guy or just blend in and locks are as easy as cracking open a lobster tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City