Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

So OP, did you get into the butcher's union?
(A far more marketable skill than an MA or PhD in American Studies (whatever that is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I feel like the Museum of Sex should try to use this one day
i would buy a lifetime membership to the big tidday museum..

Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
(A far more marketable skill than an MA or PhD in American Studies (whatever that is.)
Academic job market is a mess. Academia broadly speaking is a mess. I would definitely go with handwork.

There is such a butcher in Harlem - Shambles.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:08 PM

114 posts, read 250,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been busy with thesis work and the start of a new semester so I haven't had time to check this post and adequately reply.

I live in the south, unions are a bad word down here so there was no opportunity for me to join any union. In Florida, teachers/police officers/firefighters/other public service workers are often not unionized, never mind laborers. I worked for one of the best grocery chains, in terms of quality, profitability, and customer service, in the country (Publix supermarkets), and since we were a quality grocery store (probably a bit better than Shop Rite or Wegman's if you've ever been there), I cut meat the old fashioned way off of primal cuts and without wasting any ounce of it.

I don't think a master's in American Studies is any more or less marketable than any other terminal master's degree or bachelor's. Sure, if I wanted to work "in American Studies" or "in academia," the job market is complete garbage. I got my degree in American Studies because I wanted to integrate my knowledge of economics and integrate it with an understanding of how economics influence cultural decisions and trends. I don't think there's really any master's degree or bachelor's degree that's inherently more valuable, save for engineering. Even hard science and "real math" people have trouble finding jobs "in their field" these days - the people that tend to do well in "in their field" placement are pre-professionals like educators, accountants, business, engineers, etc (ironically enough because in the history of higher education, many of these fields were not considered worthy of further academic study). I got my degree because I would like to be able to check the "masters degree required" box on future job applications. Also, carrying out large research projects while teaching undergrads and taking my own classwork shows future employers that I can balance long and short term goals while under stress, and I can take on my own projects without too much oversight.

I asked this question not because I'm unsure of my own skills, but because I honestly do not know what it would take to live in New York City. I have moved without a job lined up before to different cities (Orlando, Tampa, Tallahassee, New Orleans, etc) and it's worked out, but I know that New York is a different animal entirely with broker's fees, city taxes (my state doesn't even have income tax), parking, subway passes, etc. I'm simply wondering (and many have more than adequately answered) if it's possible for somebody like me to live in Queens, have a job where I can pay my rent and electric, and maybe go to a Mets and Nets game a year.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
NYC is a very skill-based economy. So you should definitely capitalize on your skills as a butcher first because that's what is going to pay your rent if you come here. I have a background working in restaurants and know there is always a demand for that type of work. Peter Luger's comes to mind. There are many other steakhouses like that, where the butchery is done onsite. They pay fairly well because the work needs to be done correctly- one bad review from a respected critic and their restaurant could be toast. It would provide you with enough income to at least live with a roommate and experience the city. The question is, what do you want to do long-term? It could provide you a start but...

The city will quickly burn you out. You won't have the same quality of life you did in Florida. A 15 X 20 apartment is likely to cost upwards of 1,700-1,800 per month minimum if you want anything that resembles normalcy. Take whatever you pay in utilities and multiply that by 1.5 as well. It's unlikely you could afford that on a butcher's income. With a roommate though, I'd say yes. I'd also imagine that to live comfortably you'd need a second job and supplemental income. So you should expect that and expect to work at least 60 hours a week.

Make the move only if you accept the reality, are willing to live with roommates, and know what you are getting into. If you have a long-term plan. Because nothing would be worse than you moving here and waking up one day hating life with no exit strategy.

I know a lot of those types. And it isn't pretty to be around, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City