Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:59 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Person View Post
During the turbulent 1960's block busting/rioting spree that ruined most Brooklyn neighborhoods, Bay Ridge remained relatively undisturbed and safe -- it is now a trashed up slum -- full of 99 cents stores, hookah bars and questionable massage parlors.

Most large U.S. cities were trashed by rioting and flight to the suburbs.

The 1965 Immigration Law and subsequent immigration legislation ruined the United States.

The 2008 economic meltdown is just the beginning of things to come -- welcome to the Third World.
I disagree with this. Take a look at Paterson. Paterson saw riots and probably saw redlining as well. But if it weren't for immigrants Paterson would probably look worse. You have Dominicans, Peruvians, Middle Easterners, and Asians revitalizing neighborhoods by owning businesses. A bus company is owned by a Peruvian there. Immigrants contribute a lot to the economies of these blighted urban areas. Union City is one of the poorest cities in the US but you would not think this if you went there. There are a lot of businesses, very few if any abandoned buildings with boarded up windows, and as a whole the city does not look like some bombed out slum. Compare this to cities that haven't received that much immigration like Camden, parts of Newark, or Detroit where you have open lots, empty houses, and high crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 PM

42 posts, read 53,044 times
There are plenty in Astoria!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I disagree with this. Take a look at Paterson. Paterson saw riots and probably saw redlining as well. But if it weren't for immigrants Paterson would probably look worse. You have Dominicans, Peruvians, Middle Easterners, and Asians revitalizing neighborhoods by owning businesses. A bus company is owned by a Peruvian there. Immigrants contribute a lot to the economies of these blighted urban areas. Union City is one of the poorest cities in the US but you would not think this if you went there. There are a lot of businesses, very few if any abandoned buildings with boarded up windows, and as a whole the city does not look like some bombed out slum. Compare this to cities that haven't received that much immigration like Camden, parts of Newark, or Detroit where you have open lots, empty houses, and high crime.
At first I had a tear in my eye thinking of the hardworking immigrant on union job sites that once were held by AMERICANS. Then I thought of the hard working immigrants selling Churo's under the El on Roosevelt Ave, Then I came across this Report: More than half of immigrants on welfare. You ever wonder why this Trump is steamrolling over LIFETIME politicians? Americans are fed up. They see what's happening in Germany and the rest of Europe. http://www.fox10tv.com/story/3099778...#ixzz3xpxB0CXW

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 01-21-2016 at 03:37 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 02:45 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
At first I had a tear in my eye thinking of the hardworking immigrant on union job sites that once were held by AMERICANS. Then I thought of the hard working immigrants selling Churo's under the El on Roosevelt Ave, Then I came across this Report: More than half of immigrants on welfare. You ever wonder why this Trump is steamrolling over LIFETIME politicians? Americans are fed up. They see what's happening in Germany and the rest of Europe. Mesa PD: Bound child found in bag of feces 'shocks the soul' - FOX10 News | WALA
Did you know about half of all welfare recipients are white? Just because you are receiving government assistance does not mean you aren't working. For many people the cost of living is so high that even working a job might not still be enough to get by without taking some type of government assistance. Should we deport all whites who are taking welfare too?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Did you know about half of all welfare recipients are white? Just because you are receiving government assistance does not mean you aren't working. For many people the cost of living is so high that even working a job might not still be enough to get by without taking some type of government assistance. Should we deport all whites who are taking welfare too?
Are they illegal immigrants? if so then YES.

To the OP, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2512396. I guess there's a few Arab's left on 5th Ave.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:55 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
The "half of immigrants on welfare" thing is misleading because it includes any form of government assistance, which is likely Medicaid most of the time. Most immigrants would not go on food stamps, however everyone needs healthcare, and I don't look down on that. Every other developed nation has some form of government healthcare.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
At first I had a tear in my eye thinking of the hardworking immigrant on union job sites that once were held by AMERICANS. Then I thought of the hard working immigrants selling Churo's under the El on Roosevelt Ave, Then I came across this Report: More than half of immigrants on welfare. You ever wonder why this Trump is steamrolling over LIFETIME politicians? Americans are fed up. They see what's happening in Germany and the rest of Europe. Mesa PD: Bound child found in bag of feces 'shocks the soul' - FOX10 News | WALA
Trump is "steamrolling" lifetime politicians because many Americans are ignorant (like you), and he was able to gain popularity by both being a celebrity and saying bigoted things that riled up racist/xenophobic white Americans.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Trump is "steamrolling" lifetime politicians because many Americans are ignorant (like you), and he was able to gain popularity by both being a celebrity and saying bigoted things that riled up racist/xenophobic white Americans.
Ignorant? No, Had enough with lip service from life long politicians. Politicians who feel "We" work for them.

German police hunt for group of up to 1,000 men over sex attacks | Daily Mail Online

German migrant sex crime shock - 118 women assaulted by gangs on New Year's Eve | World | News | Daily Express

Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
True, except that you omitted "misogynistic" - evidence, the comments you see here.

Actually, evidence the comments you see here for all of those things.

On the other hand, such people seem to be freaking out in a major way, which could indicate a positive movement. Observe how quickly the name-calling and pettiness arises. This is the refuge of people with no tenable arguments.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I doubt very much that it had to do with being "afraid of racism," which is usually the phrase trotted out by racists to cry about their own victimization when they are called out. Funny, I have now learned that a writing style may be identified with such people - there it is.

You are living in an entirely naive la la land if you don't think there is a whole section of "polite" white society who absolutely would say nothing for fear of being labeled politically incorrect or, even worse, racist. Don't conflate those who wear racism as a badge, or the anonymous internet community, with the entire white society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City