Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times

Advertisements

I think they consider Red Lobster to be fine dining..which is exactly my point. Sammy's is fine dining and good food the same way Red Lobster is (according to them). And since neither is particularly cheap...I am not sure it is an economic issue. If it were say Captain D's...then yes..I would agree that it is economics, but neither of these are cheap by any stretch.

Of course all of this is just my experience as a longtime Bronx resident of color that has dined at both places, and just about everyother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
I'm telling you, they put something in those biscuits.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Yes..its called massive preservatives, lard, ALOT of sodium, and transfats!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Speaking of Red Lobster, ate there today, I had Flounder and hubby had the all you can eat soup/salad.....always get extra buscuits, two diet sodas
and with a $3.00 coupon......lunch came to $16.51 tip was extra. Go to Red Lobster once a week. Will confess it wasn't in City Island that we ate. We belong to there VIP club and get coupons monthly.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,899 times
City Island doesn't HAVE a "Red Lobster", or ANY chain restaurants for that matter, other than one Dunkin' Donuts franchise...

Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,455 times
Is the real estate as high as Long Island or cheaper?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Is the real estate as high as Long Island or cheaper?

Well, if you're looking to buy, it's not as cheap as FAR OUT on L.I., but it is somewhat cheaper than Manhattan.....

Small houses go for $350K+ and a decent one will run ya' about $700K right now....but that's with a beach view...

Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM

35 posts, read 182,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Lol....no...I am saying the local Bronx Black/Hispanic folks that OVERWHELMING patronize Red Lobster, are OVERWHELMINGLY the same ones you will find at Sammy's. Either this means that Sammy's and Red Lobster are both equally great, or equally bad. I tend to think the latter. And for the record I have eaten at both, and can say with great confidence, that these places are appealing to the same market, Bronx locals of color who think Red Lobster/Sammy's is good seafood.

By the way...I am liking the Sir Guy thing..its different.
There's a somewhat large difference btw. Red Lobster prices and Sammy's prices. They don't really attract the same clientele per se. Moreover, I think Bronx people like to go to City Island for a change of pace when it comes to eating, meaning not a chain restaurant, but still a level of service above places like Caridad and its ilk. Also, you can drive to City Island, so you don't have to deal with going into Manhattan...

About the quality of seafood? I mean it's definitely not gourmet fare, but it's tasty and filling.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 PM

35 posts, read 182,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I would venture to say, that perhaps the black & hispanics who are said to frequent Red Lobster and other likeminded eateries may not necessarily be able to afford "fine dining" on a regular enough basis, to really be seen often enough in those establishments.... probably more of an economic issue, than one of merely skin tone or ethnicity.... IJS....
I dine at a variety of places throughout the city including 'celebrity chef' ones (Jean George, Bobby Flay, etc.) and I don't mind going to Red Lobster out of the blue. The Cheddar Bay Biscuits are yummy. And I still like Sammy's, b/c my dad liked going there when we were growing up. My point is don't 'assume' that b/c someone who lives in the Bronx decided to patronize a local establishment that's 'all they know.'

Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 AM

Yellowtail...everyone' has differnt tastes..I am just going by my own tastes and experiences. I do like those biscuits though....I would rather get a 6 pack and go than eat at Red Lobster...and I would rather eat at the gross fried spot at the end of City Island than go to Sammy's and pay up the nose for Red Lobster food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City