Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 08:26 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,248,506 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm just naive but I find it intriguing that someone would even have to ask a question like this.

Who care what others think, do you.

I've been in interracial relationships before and never thought much about it. It's about liking a person not a race. In fact I've never used "interracial" before writing this. I was always just in a relationship with derrick or bob or whomever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:33 PM

167 posts, read 306,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
back in my early 20s I dated a super hot black girl, I am white. I swear if looks could kill, black men in particular waiters, front desk folk, blue collar or just black folk you walk by in street all looked liked they wanted to stab me.

And if I went to bathroom they circled her, I recall one time I literally ran to bathroom in a club to find in that two minutes a basketball players already was there and I heard tail end where she said to him sorry I don't date black men. OMG I have a six foot eight man wanting to kill me. It was not worth the headaches, near the end she wanted me to hang out in her joints, Bentley's a real upscale black night club and such. At that point my life expectancy was growing shorter by the day. The final blow was some large black guy comes up to me when she went to bath room and started saying this is BS and all that. I am like what do you mean. He goes my bros all were saying that black girl is hotter than any black girl we slept with. I go so? He goes we Black you are not. If you folk tapping all our good stuff what left for us.

At than point I gave up.
But seriously, where are these black men that are so concerned when an attractive black woman is not with a black man? You must be really weird looking to get these kind of responses

The more common trope is black men not giving a rat's ass about race and how much that frustrates the black women who have less black men to choose from

Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,008,845 times
This is a childish question. I would be worried about people judging you by how much money you make and the profession you're in.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:05 AM

483 posts, read 871,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
This is a childish question. I would be worried about people judging you by how much money you make and the profession you're in.
I second the previous comment. It is now 2016 and most New Yorkers with brains do not stare down interracial couples. For evidence of this; walk around BedStuy, Park Slope, & the Village.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM

22 posts, read 58,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Maybe I'm just naive but I find it intriguing that someone would even have to ask a question like this.

Who care what others think, do you.
It might be unnecessary to mention this topic in some places yes. However, in some places I've lived the stares and comments are incessant. It's a lot worse than one would expect.

It's nice that some areas afford one the luxury of not having to take this into consideration.

I only ask because I want to make sure we will not face the same issues after we move.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,018,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree321 View Post
Do you find that New York is better in this regard than other places you travel to together with your wife?
NYC is generally better in this regard than every city and country that I've been to. Countries and cities with the greatest variance of economic, cultural and racial diversity tend to much less of a hassle.

I don't think it's always just about cities with racial diversity though. IMO economic diversity coupled with racial diversity is just as important. I've been in cities that were very balanced racially but they were economically segregated (blacks on one end, whites on the other), and because of that, the relationship between my wife and I appeared to cause a few more than enough stares, and once in a while, a few comments.

I've been in cities and areas that were mono-racial (either majority black or white) and there were stares, and sometimes comments.

But when I'm in places where there is a good mix of blacks and whites in all classes operating within the same system, things seem to be just fine.

Last edited by itshim; 01-10-2016 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 AM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Quote:
Is NYC a good place to relocate to for a black-white couple? In terms of things like stares, racist attitudes, racist comments, and general acceptance/quality of life.

Are such relationships common?

I've heard that while NYC is very diverse, the different groups tend not to mix as each individual community is quite insular and keeps to themselves. And also that interracial couples get many stares and comments.

I am not knowledgable on the issue so any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Ask the Mayor.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-10-2016, 11:33 AM

562 posts, read 465,260 times
If you are happy, there's no need to look for validation from complete strangers.

Last edited by Cara_319; 01-10-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 11:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,366 times
Quote:
Is NYC a good place to relocate to for a black-white couple? In terms of things like stares, racist attitudes, racist comments, and general acceptance/quality of life.

Are such relationships common?

I've heard that while NYC is very diverse, the different groups tend not to mix as each individual community is quite insular and keeps to themselves. And also that interracial couples get many stares and comments.

I am not knowledgable on the issue so any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I don't think black-white couples are that common on a percentage basis, though there are enough people here for there to be a fair number of such couples even if the percentage is low.

You won't get too many stares or public comments, though some people may comment about it privately or disapprove in their own minds (not that you'll notice).

You're correct -- NYC has people of a variety of backgrounds, but they don't always intermingle that much. Remember, it's a liberal city so the facade (giving off the image that you're not racist) is what counts, even if your friends/associates are predominantly the same background or ethnicity as you.

If it were me, I wouldn't move here b/c it's tolerant of black-white couples or avoid it b/c black-white couples are frowned upon.

Do either of you work in an industry where opportunities outside of NYC are limited? If not, I'd think very carefully about moving here as it's not worth the COL and taxes. I feel like I'm ripped off on every single purchase I make -- rent is just one of many expenses that is highly inflated.

I had a makeshift job before moving here but got a career-oriented job here why is why I made the move (from Cambridge, Mass). I was excited about moving here before it happened (its only been 2 months) but the excitement ended quickly once the reality (cost, taxes, filth, etc.) set in. I'll need at least 1 year of experience until I'm competitive for new opportunities, though 3-5 would make the search a lot easier (and the new opportunities more lucrative). It's hard to see myself staying here much longer than that, as it's really not worth the cost (plus the taxes, costs, etc. always go up).

Old 01-10-2016, 11:50 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,248,506 times
Quote:
It might be unnecessary to mention this topic in some places yes. However, in some places I've lived the stares and comments are incessant. It's a lot worse than one would expect.

It's nice that some areas afford one the luxury of not having to take this into consideration.

I only ask because I want to make sure we will not face the same issues after we move.
Ive been all over the country in an "interracial" relationship, and lived in several states and no place has bothered us as we simple don't care what other have to say.

I'm beginning to think you are a fake poster with asking this same question now in NY, LA and London.
Get over the race thing and view people as people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City