Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 PM

593 posts, read 470,530 times

Advertisements

More NYC rent stabilization madness. The guy gets a 1500 square foot Upper West Side apartment for less than $800 per month, rent stabilized going forward. He also receives a lump sum of $876,619.10.

Guy gets insane rent deal on swanky pad after landlord scammed him | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
That’s because an appeals court found that Lane Altschuler’s landlord illegally over-charged him by nearly $3,000-a-month while receiving city tax credits for maintaining rent-stabilized units.
Quote:
landlord Mann Realty had received over $310,000 in J-51 tax benefits.
No sympathy.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Good for this guy! Glad the owner got busted. Thats what you get for double dipping.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
More NYC rent stabilization madness. The guy gets a 1500 square foot Upper West Side apartment for less than $800 per month, rent stabilized going forward. He also receives a lump sum of $876,619.10.

Guy gets insane rent deal on swanky pad after landlord scammed him | New York Post
I already thanked you another - very much more interesting - thread. It's really important that you first brought attention to the matter and I want to give you credit.

Now, hopefully, people in similar situations will see and begin looking into things themselves.
Publicity is GREAT.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
No sympathy.
That's likely the tip of the iceberg. I tried to tell people that here.

Worse, nothing necessarily prevents him from getting far more in the future. They figure things out.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Crooked Landlord got caught: 1 down, thousands to go.
At the first sign of retaliation, the landlord should be given a prison term.

Nice to know that karma sometimes, if rarely, exists.

With the $800,000 debt, why isn't the rent reduced to zero for the next 1000 months (83 years.) Better yet, since it is a condominium conversion, why isn't the tenant GIVEN OWNERSHIP of the apartment gratis.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 AM

593 posts, read 470,530 times
This guy is a construction executive and is hardly in need of below-market rent and a windfall payment. I think it is crazy that the powers of the state have been mobilized to provide such an individual with lavish housing benefits, especially when there are others who are truly in need. This is not what the government is supposed to be doing.

I also find it interesting that other posters on this board react with jubilation to someone receiving the unearned. I guess that makes sense, as their progressive philosophy teaches them that everything is a matter of luck and factors outside of an individual's control.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post

I also find it interesting that other posters on this board react with jubilation to someone receiving the unearned. I guess that makes sense, as their progressive philosophy teaches them that everything is a matter of luck and factors outside of an individual's control.

As do I. That's why I pointed out the landlord's gains at taxpayer expense and over quite a period of time.
Of course, you could explain how the landlord actually "earned" the extensive tax breaks. I know many of this ilk and quite few deserve anything at all. They take because they believe they are better than you.

In addition. The tenant likely expended an enormous amount of energy to follow through. You have no idea. Little luck is involved. More like persistent diligence. Good for him.

Hopefully, more landlords and investment groups will be exposed in the coming year.

You know what I find interesting ? The blinders; inability to see that the landlord is the culprit, instead blaming someone more convenient. Eclipse of critical thinking. Very common these days.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Nice to know that karma sometimes, if rarely, exists.

With the $800,000 debt, why isn't the rent reduced to zero for the next 1000 months (83 years.) Better yet, since it is a condominium conversion, why isn't the tenant GIVEN OWNERSHIP of the apartment gratis.
Agree 1000% with your post Kefir king. Beware greedy slum landlords karma is a bi*ch and it will come back to haunt..😨..
You, hit them deep in the pockets...💲💲💲... This is the year 2016...😊... I am so happy for this tenant good job done.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

And anyone who thinks that Mann is a victim here needs to seriously figure out the facts. If they can even tell the difference between fact and fairy tale.

Is it something they put in the water ... ? People simply cannot be that clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City