Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM

500 posts, read 2,861,732 times

Advertisements

Another one...

If you have to ask whether 26th and 6th is safe... then... maybe you shouldn't live in New York.

26th and 6th, no less. I mean, what's next from these people?

"I just bought a 10-room apartment in Park Avenue and was wondering if that area is safe; I've seen street vendors and black people and I don't know".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,627,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
"I just bought a 10-room apartment in Park Avenue and was wondering if that area is safe; I've seen street vendors and black people and I don't know".

That made me laugh!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,384,276 times
Yeah if any men were staring at your in Chelsea they were probably just admiring your wardrobe or bag. Chelse has really become quite the gay mecca in recent years.

I seriously doubt you will have problems there.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,320,155 times
Quote:

There are some less savory parts of Park Ave...

Old 02-06-2008, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 28,338 times
the main thing is just that i don't know if they are staring at me/checking me out because they associate me with the sleazy asian massage parlors?

i don't even know for sure how many/if there are any parlors in the immediate vicinity of W27th/6th......

Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,546 times
This is a very nice area!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganw View Post
the main thing is just that i don't know if they are staring at me/checking me out because they associate me with the sleazy asian massage parlors?

i don't even know for sure how many/if there are any parlors in the immediate vicinity of W27th/6th......
I don't know anything about the parlors but I seriously doubt anyone would be checking you out because of an association with them. The massage parlors are just not so patently prevalent that any Asian woman walking near there must be associated with them in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way. Maybe guys just do more checking out here (Sutton Place excepted) than in the UK.

I would not think of that area as unsafe but if you don't like walking through there then it may not be right for you. People are giving you a bit of a hard time on here, but I think it's a pretty blah area and not my favorite part of NYC. A female friend who lives on the UWS and walks all over the city said she doesn't really like anything between 25th and 42nd, from 6th Ave. west. She'll go there, but thinks it's a bit more scruffy and less attractive than some areas, though better than others.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM

500 posts, read 2,861,732 times
Holden,

Think about it. 26th and 6th. The heart of Chelsea. Tons of people, chain stores, luxury condos. One of the most sought-after neighborhoods in Manhattan. This girl asks if its safe and you think it's a reasonable question?

It's OK to be a bit of a snob when you live in New York. But saying you won't go, like your UWS friend, west of 6th because it is "scruffy" should be illegal. I bet she wasn't born here or moved here recently?

Let me think of a couple of things she's missing... the biggest art-gallery district in the world (around West 25th and 10th), shopping galore (everywhere around 8th and 7th), theaters, restaurants, concerts at Madison Square Garden...

I've heard many things from New Yorkers -good, bad and strange- but avoiding a good 20 blocks in the heart of Manhattan because it's "scruffy" (as if it were East New York, or Detroit), wins as the most outrageous saying. Ever. Not even tourists do that, for christsake.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Holden,

Think about it. 26th and 6th. The heart of Chelsea. Tons of people, chain stores, luxury condos. One of the most sought-after neighborhoods in Manhattan. This girl asks if its safe and you think it's a reasonable question?

It's OK to be a bit of a snob when you live in New York. But saying you won't go, like your UWS friend, west of 6th because it is "scruffy" should be illegal. I bet she wasn't born here or moved here recently?

Let me think of a couple of things she's missing... the biggest art-gallery district in the world (around West 25th and 10th), shopping galore (everywhere around 8th and 7th), theaters, restaurants, concerts at Madison Square Garden...

I've heard many things from New Yorkers -good, bad and strange- but avoiding a good 20 blocks in the heart of Manhattan because it's "scruffy" (as if it were East New York, or Detroit), wins as the most outrageous saying. Ever. Not even tourists do that, for christsake.
Cool it with the mischaracterizations. If that's the most outrageous thing you've ever heard said then you haven't been hearing as many things as you suggest. I would not have used the word "scruffy" if I meant to liken it to ENY or Detroit. I'm not a snob and I've lived in places in New York and elsewhere that are crappier than 26th and 6th. My friend was in fact born here and grew up on the UWS in the 80's heydey of Larry Hogue. I specifically said that my friend goes everywhere, including that area, but likes that area less, art galleries or not. I did not say anything about refusing to enter a 20-block chunk of anything.

I also specifically said that it was safe and that the people are not checking out Asian women because they think they work at massage parlors. Back in the day, a friend of mine's father owned a camera shop on 22nd and 7th and was robbed about 5 times in 2 years in the early-mid 90's. It's not like that today at all. I myself would have no qualms about living there in terms of safety but I do not like the area anywhere near as much as other parts of the city and have told 1,000 people that I don't know why on earth it's supposed to be so desirable except proximity to Midtown. The area is, to me, not as attractive as other areas. The side streets near MSG and FIT are desolate at night and not so lovely to look at. Personal opinion and, you know what, I'm entitled to it.

If the OP didn't like the vibe and if a friend of mine with 32 years in Manhattan is less comfortable there than elsewhere, there is no need to go live in the place. As to whether she'd be safe there, I said she would.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:47 PM
FDB

1 posts, read 4,722 times
Default whoa!!!

Higher IQ's? please, give it a break. Race, biologically speaking, doesn't exist. Working harder? give me a break. As a former expat who has worked in Tokyo, Beijing, Singapore and London that just makes me laugh.... the productivity of workers in the IB derivatives desks in Asia was laughable.

Haven't faced racism? there is a whole blog about asian racism at [url=http://www.asianracism.blogspot.com]Asian Racism[/url]

Take a look, New York is much less racist towards Asians than most asian cities are towards non-asians.

Peace out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmover99 View Post
Asian Racism?? Please stop the Hysteria! I have not EVER experienced Asian Racism! Racism over what? the higher IQ's? Hard workers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City