Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
CNG

28 posts, read 182,754 times

Advertisements

There's litterally only one time I heard anyone in america be racist towards an asian, and it was a little unfunny joke.

Trust me, you won't be racially attacked in this city, especially if you was to go to queens instead of manhattan. Chelsea is a really safe area too. REALLY safe. I wouldn't live there though, as I like all the other boroughs more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,048,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNG View Post
There's litterally only one time I heard anyone in america be racist towards an asian, and it was a little unfunny joke.

Trust me, you won't be racially attacked in this city, especially if you was to go to queens instead of manhattan. Chelsea is a really safe area too. REALLY safe. I wouldn't live there though, as I like all the other boroughs more.
again, i love how non-asians are declaring that racism toward asians is a virtual non-issue in this city. seriously guys, if you're not asian, it's impossible for you to really know what's up.

that said, i doubt the OP will be attacked in this city, regardless of whether she lives on 6th & 27th, sutton place, or any other yuppie, hipster, corporate, gentrified, or just flat-out wealthy area of manhattan. nyc is for the most part an open-minded city where people leave you alone.

all i'm asking is that people please chill with this nonsense that asians don't ever experience racism in this city, b/c we do. not trying to be an al sharpton here, but i really don't need to hear non-asians assuming that everything's hunky dory for the asian community, either.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
CNG

28 posts, read 182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
again, i love how non-asians are declaring that racism toward asians is a virtual non-issue in this city. seriously guys, if you're not asian, it's impossible for you to really know what's up.
You got a point there, I guess I said that because I barely expierienced asians being racially attacked.
Quote:
that said, i doubt the OP will be attacked in this city, regardless of whether she lives on 6th & 27th, sutton place, or any other yuppie, hipster, corporate, gentrified, or just flat-out wealthy area of manhattan. nyc is for the most part an open-minded city where people leave you alone.
It's a city that if you leave people alone, they will leave you alone.
Quote:
all i'm asking is that people please chill with this nonsense that asians don't ever experience racism in this city, b/c we do. not trying to be an al sharpton here, but i really don't need to hear non-asians assuming that everything's hunky dory for the asian community, either.
I never said they NEVER expierienced racist attacks. I was trying to say it seems pretty rare to happen, especially in queens, and I go to queens very often and my asian friends never been discriminated against (except with friends that play around) according to them. This is a forum, ya gotta get used to hearing mixed opinions and thoughts (though I am not saying you are wrong, I pretty much agree with you).

Old 02-14-2008, 05:08 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,048,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNG View Post
I never said they NEVER expierienced racist attacks. I was trying to say it seems pretty rare to happen, especially in queens, and I go to queens very often and my asian friends never been discriminated against (except with friends that play around) according to them. This is a forum, ya gotta get used to hearing mixed opinions and thoughts (though I am not saying you are wrong).
hey, i understand that not everyone's gonna have the same opinion as me. that's cool. but as i said, i felt i had to respond to everyone (not just you) b/c all i kept hearing in this particular thread is how asians rarely, if ever, experience racism in this city. and as a lifelong resident of the city/region who's dealt with plenty of racism due to my background (east asian) and who's acutely aware of what goes on in the community, i know that's simply not the case. this isn't the jim crow-era south, but anyone who thinks racism against asians (or other minority groups) is rare/non-existent is simply wrong.

like i said earlier, no one's burning crosses on my lawn. but the situation for asians isn't exactly idyllic, either. some individuals are lucky enough not to experience racism as much as others, but there's no question that it exists and that it's still a serious issue for the community as a whole.

bottom line:
it's hard for me not to get annoyed by non-asians patting themselves on the back and declaring that racism against asians is dead. if you didn't grow up as an asian in this city, you simply don't know what it's like. my life here is far from horrible, but i still have to deal with race-related c.rap in this city, even in 2008. my family and asian friends/acquaintances would largely agree with this. so please - don't make such sweeping generalizations when you don't really know what the deal is. thanks.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,325 times
Hey, I'm thinking about moving onto 30th street (between 8th and 9th avenue) but I noticed this thread is a few years old. Is the block still safe? I'm a single woman, early 20s. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Hey, I'm thinking about moving into Chelsea (30th street between 8th and 9th avenues) but I noticed this thread is a few years old. Is the block still safe? I'm a single woman, early 20s. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM

Hey, I'm thinking about moving onto 30th street (between 8th and 9th avenue) but I noticed this thread is a few years old. Is the block still safe? I'm a single woman, early 20s. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 PM

316 posts, read 990,730 times
You should be fine. However, like any neighborhood, be careful in the wee hours: cab it when you can, don't walk around alone late at night.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times
racism sucks. white people and white apologists dont (allow themselves) to recognise it. i'd say move to a predominantly asian neighborhood, the few that white people have allowed to remain. crime in manhattan is negligible as long as you exercise basic common sense. consider upperwestside, it has bars, culture, etc. as long as you are not white even consider harlem or washington heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City